Which Album?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Which Album?

Postby fat_taxi on Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:11 am

Hey,

Im fairly new to Jefferson Airplane, and Im wanting to buy albums that aren't "best ofs" or "essentials".

So if you lovely people could reccomend me an album to buy? I'm thinking "Voulenteers".

Any help would be fantastic!

Si
x
"Sorry Thornton, Bad Dream"
fat_taxi

Postby Cozmosis on Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:08 am

Volunteers, IMO, is a good start....Bless It's Pointed Little Head is also a very nice live record, as is 30 Seconds Over Winterland.......
Cozmosis

Postby Guest on Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:40 am

Surrealistic Pillow, for God's sake, Surrealistic Pillow. It's never the favorite of hardcore Airplane fans (Myself included), but it's by FAR the most accessible to someone who's not really "into" the airplane - it's the perfect Gateway drug. Volunteers is also a really good pick, but I think you should get Pillow first - I honestly found Crown of Creation more inviting than it, at first, though. I couldn't really "get" Baxter's or Volunteers until I'd been listening to Pillow and Crown awhile.

Also, if you can find the relatively rare "Live at The Monterey Festival", it's an excellent intro to the Airplane - you get to hear a lovely "Today" which Grace playing organ, some really good folk covers with Marty still sounding fresh and enthusiastic, a really energetic version of "She Has Funny Cars" and probably the best "Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil" ever recorded. So for the God of Grace, BUY it if you come across it.

Postby Guest on Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:01 pm

Anonymous wrote:Surrealistic Pillow, for God's sake, Surrealistic Pillow. It's never the favorite of hardcore Airplane fans (Myself included), but it's by FAR the most accessible to someone who's not really "into" the airplane - it's the perfect Gateway drug.

I couldn't agree more. I think Volunteers becomes much more accessible after digesting Surrealistic Pillow. Baxter's is an amazing album, but it should be way down on the list for newbies.

Postby GrownUpAllWrong on Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Volunteers is my favourite, but either of the two mentioned are a good start. They'll hook you allright. :)
GrownUpAllWrong

Postby SadieMaeGlutz on Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:30 pm

I would say Surrealistic Pillow because it contains JA's biggest and most popular hits. Even when I hadn't heard much of their music, I'd heard and liked "Somebody to Love". It's general enough to have mass appeal without being bad. Kind of like M. Night Shymalan's movies. :-)
SadieMaeGlutz

Postby Mekstat1 on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:31 pm

:( i still wish i could of listened to the rest of the songs someone posted up before everything got weird and posts got deleted.
Mekstat1

Postby Guest on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:54 pm

Get After Bathing at Baxters.

It hooked me by the lip.

get the dvd too

Postby guest on Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:22 pm

i would recommend the dvd FLY-JEFFERSON AIRPLANE, as well. a great insight to the band.

Postby Cozmosis on Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:11 pm

....C'mon, don't be a bunch of pussies, my intro to the Airplane was the box set!!!!
Cozmosis

Postby guest on Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:35 pm

:oops: JA are best Live, get anything "Live"

Postby RememberWhat theDarmaSays on Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:15 pm

If you want a good compilation CD, I would buy The Worst of Jefferson Airplane. It has a mix of all their albums. It is a nice place to start.
~Remember What the Dormouse Says, Feed Your Head! Feed Your Head!~
RememberWhat theDarmaSays

Postby skaterhippy on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:44 pm

ya,volunteers is good,and so is pillow,the first one i got was the best of ja somebody to love
:P :twisted:
craig james mather
skaterhippy

Postby Guest on Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:40 pm

Agree with 'guest.'
Live is best.
Bless Its Pointed Little Head is a MUST.
Listen to it with headphones . . . loud.
- Mark

Postby Guest on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:59 pm

yes,live is best definatly :twisted: so listening to it with headphones is awesome :lol:

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions