Jefferson Starship

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Jefferson Starship

Postby Guest on Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:46 am

I heard something about Jefferson Starship, but what exactly is it??

Postby Box Of Rain on Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:56 am

The Airplane broke up in 72 - Jefferson Starship was a name for the congolomerate of musicians (Crosby, Stills, & Nash, etc.) that helped Grace and Paul with their joint solo adventures in the very early seventies - Blows Against the Empire, Sunfighter, Baron Von Tollbooth, and Manhole. I highly reccomend all of 'em. Jefferson Starship as an actual BAND came around in about 74. It was basically Grace Slick and Paul Kantner with a new backing band - plus Papa John Creach. First album was Dragonfly - Marty Balin came about into the fold on 1975's Red Octopus and stuck around until after Earth in 79. Dragonfly and Red Octopus are kinda nice albums, other than that they tended to be pretty mediocre. As the band chugged along, they slowly began incorporating more outside material. Perhaps as an outlet for her unused songwriting, Grace recorded "Dreams" in 79. Now THAT I reccomend over anything the Starship ever did.

Sometime in the eighties Marty AND Paul had bailed at which point the band was just "Starship", featuring the horrendous pre-pubescent vocals of the equally awful-looking Mickey Thomas, and Grace hanging on as the only original airplane member. Original material ceased, replaced by tunes by the likes of Bernie Taupin and Diane Warren. Eventually Grace bailed. I reccomend you avoid all their material like the plague.

Nowadays Jefferson starship is Paul Kantner, Marty Balin, and, uh... a bunch of random other people. Personally, I don't really keep up with 'em. No Grace, no Jack, no Jorma, no interest.

Hope this helps.
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Postby ceangle13 on Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:42 pm

Box Of Rain wrote:The Airplane broke up in 72 - Jefferson Starship was a name for the congolomerate of musicians (Crosby, Stills, & Nash, etc.) that helped Grace and Paul with their joint solo adventures in the very early seventies - Blows Against the Empire, Sunfighter, Baron Von Tollbooth, and Manhole. I highly reccomend all of 'em. Jefferson Starship as an actual BAND came around in about 74. It was basically Grace Slick and Paul Kantner with a new backing band - plus Papa John Creach. First album was Dragonfly - Marty Balin came about into the fold on 1975's Red Octopus and stuck around until after Earth in 79. Dragonfly and Red Octopus are kinda nice albums, other than that they tended to be pretty mediocre. As the band chugged along, they slowly began incorporating more outside material. Perhaps as an outlet for her unused songwriting, Grace recorded "Dreams" in 79. Now THAT I reccomend over anything the Starship ever did.

Sometime in the eighties Marty AND Paul had bailed at which point the band was just "Starship", featuring the horrendous pre-pubescent vocals of the equally awful-looking Mickey Thomas, and Grace hanging on as the only original airplane member. Original material ceased, replaced by tunes by the likes of Bernie Taupin and Diane Warren. Eventually Grace bailed. I reccomend you avoid all their material like the plague.

Nowadays Jefferson starship is Paul Kantner, Marty Balin, and, uh... a bunch of random other people. Personally, I don't really keep up with 'em. No Grace, no Jack, no Jorma, no interest. WORD!!!!

Hope this helps.
ceangle13

Postby sarah81744 on Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:30 am

thanks - it does help
sarah81744

Postby Box Of Rain on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:07 pm

More than welcome, Sarah.
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Postby Cozmosis on Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:11 am

For myself, I actually find value in some of the Starship (sans Jefferson) catalog.....as I do agree that the first Jefferson Starship records were mediocre at best.......but later on the stuff got a little better......
Cozmosis

Postby Mekstat1 on Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:53 am

whats a good Jefferson Starship CD to buy? i dont even have any...
Mekstat1

re: Starship

Postby guest on Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:58 pm

Well the best one is Blows Against The Empire, which recently was reissued. Also out in a new edition is Red Octopus, the first really official album by Jefferson Starship, which also is quite good. Here are reviews, which is how I found out about the reissues. I really enjoyed the extra live cuts that were added to Red Octopus.

Red Octopus Review: http://www.musicbox-online.com/js-red.html

Blows Against The Empire Review: http://www.musicbox-online.com/js-blows.html

Postby psychhead on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:27 am

:D 8) In my humble opinion, the best song by J. Starship is RUNAWAY!!!!! It's so beautiful I could cry tears of joy. Thanx Grace!!! 8) :P
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby fusible on Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:26 pm

fusible

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions