Grace Slick - calling all fans!

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Grace Slick - calling all fans!

Postby Tillybud on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:11 am

Hi Everyone - thanks so much for adding me to your wonderful community!

In the past week I have become completely obsessed with Grace. I have always liked her but have never really been into 60's music...until now.

I love everything about her - her clothes, her voice, her face, her attitude...she is just beyond awesome.

As an introduction, I purchased 'The Best of Grace Slick' on iTunes, watched 'Fly Jefferson Airplane' and scoured YouTube for interviews. One thing I love about the collection of songs, and I know she's said this before, is the variety of music genres she covers. I love them all, from the psychedelic rock, to the jazz, to the electro, to the 80's power ballads (yes, I even like those!) At the moment, my favourite song on that album is probably 'Across the Board'. Man, that was hot.

So I wonder - what is a good starting point for me? I want to buy an actual album rather than just iTunes, though it will have to be on CD as I don't own a record player. I want to write to Grace and have her sign the sleeve if possible!

I am also hoping that here I can talk to fans who feel the same as me about her and who can educate me further. I wonder if I can buy her autobiography to read on my iPad? Hmmmm....

I look forward to conversing with you all!
Tillybud

Re: Grace Slick - calling all fans!

Postby brumus on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:40 pm

Good to see new fans on board!

For a Grace Slick fan, Best of Grace Slick is a good starting point but if you want to really get into her work then it's always good to start at the beginning and that would be the band she was in before JA, The Great Society. You've probably heard some of it on youtube. Conspicuous Only In Its Absence was the name of their album but on CD it's just called Grace Slick and The Great Society.The band itself is not so good but songs like Sally Go Round The Roses, Darkly Smiling, Father Bruce and Often As I May are great examples of Grace's talent.

Her bio 'Somebody To Love? A Rock and Roll Memoir' is available in kindle edition format. Check Amazon.

Anytime you want to talk about Grace or the other guys I'd be happy to join in.
brumus

Postby redrabid on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Brumus showed you the way. Buy every recording by the Great Society. It had that element of experimentation that Grace brought to Jefferson Airplane. Also buy "Manhole" (if only for the title song).
By the way Brumus, "the band itself is not so good"? So wasn't Jefferson Airplane at that time (1965, pre-Dryden, pre-Slick). To me The Great Society was a much more daring, innovative band, with better songs too, and so, though they lacked the all-defining genius of Jack Casady, they were the better band.
redrabid

Postby brumus on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:07 am

redrabid wrote:By the way Brumus, "the band itself is not so good"? So wasn't Jefferson Airplane at that time (1965, pre-Dryden, pre-Slick). To me The Great Society was a much more daring, innovative band, with better songs too, and so, though they lacked the all-defining genius of Jack Casady, they were the better band.

To each his own I suppose. I've heard tapes of JA live with Skip Spence and Signe. Not bad. I also know people who saw them then, said they played just like the album Takes Off, which essentially was them playing live. Pretty darn good if you ask me. This was before their 'anything goes' approach.
Great Society did use more exotic instruments, like on Free Advice, and raga structures, so in that sense they were more innovative at that time, I'll give them that. But they were definitely garage band caliber instrument wise from the example of their live recording. I've never heard their studio work but legend has it that Sly Stone, who was producing their record, walked out in frustration after it took more than fifty takes to do one song.
Take Grace out of the picture and I wouldn't bother. Her voice, her musicianship, her songwriting talent, her daring and her intellect were what made Great Society listenable IMO.
brumus

Postby Do A Line on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Marty and Grace two weeks ago in SF.
Do A Line

Postby Tillybud on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:39 am

Thanks so much for the replies!

I downloaded her autobiography so thanks so much for that, Brumus. I have just read the chapter where she slept with Jack Casady and Spencer Dryden (not at the same time, I might add...well, who knows? 'Triad' is now springing to mind but...any road... :oops: I have never downloaded an e-book so this is a first and I'm hooked! I just love her way of thinking...I find myself just agreeing with everything she says. Apart from the monogamy bit...or lack of it. She just cracks me up.

Before I had received any responses on here I ordered 'Baron Von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun', merely because at present I am hooked on 'Across the Board' and my hubby is too. It hasn't arrived yet - hoping my postman will visit today! But after that I will definitely start from the beginning - great idea. I haven't heard anything from 'The Great Society'; I must see if there's any videos on YouTube.

Nice to see recent pics, and especially with Marty - thanks Do a Line! Grace has just told me (hehe) that Marty said he wouldn't even give her head. Nice! But judging by this picture they do have some fondness for each other.

Looking forward to some further chat!
Tillybud

Postby psychy on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:19 pm

Welcome on board:):)
Imageù
psychy

Postby Tillybud on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Thanks!

Wowwww... 'Baron Von Tollbooth' (while I have difficulty saying that) is amazing. I have also fallen for 'Jefferson Starship' - in particular 'Stranger' and ' Winds of Change'. Man, I'm enjoying this ride!
Tillybud

Postby psychy on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Try "Runaway":)
Imageù
psychy

Postby Tillybud on Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:42 am

A lovely song - puts me in mind of 'Today' and 'Miracles'. But at the moment I'm at that stage when I just want to hear Grace's voice. I also prefer the voices of the other chaps she sings with on 'Baron von Tollbooth' and Mickey Thomas. Marty Balin's voice grates on me from time to time...sorry if that's controversial!
Tillybud

Postby psychy on Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:17 am

Grace's voice is simply majestic.
Imageù
psychy

Postby baronvonjack on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:06 pm

If you're still getting into grace and her amazing vocals . Worth tracking down a copy of software. That was her last studio album. Real 80s feel very electro pop. Stick with it though as the quality of song writing is on top form same with her vocals. Every time I hear the song fox face it makes me shudder. If you have trouble getting the album you can hear all the tracks on youtube, but thats not as much fun .lol go ride the music xx
hurry up sleep take me
else i'll be late for tea
Baronvon jack
baronvonjack

Postby Tillybud on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:02 pm

I totally totally am...since all those posts I now own every JA album from the 60's with Grace. I definitely need to buy some 'The Great Society'...I actually wrote to Grace and she wrote me a full on letter plus signed my copy of Rolling Stone; I just love her! I am also still into Jefferson Starship - obsessed with 'The Winds of Change' album and have just purchased 'Modern Times' and 'Nuclear Furniture', the latter of which was produced by Peter Wolff who produced...'Software'. I would love that album. Also just bought 'Sunfighter' so looking forward to discovering that!
Tillybud

Postby brumus on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:08 pm

Tillybud wrote:I totally totally am...since all those posts I now own every JA album from the 60's with Grace. I definitely need to buy some 'The Great Society'...I actually wrote to Grace and she wrote me a full on letter plus signed my copy of Rolling Stone; I just love her! I am also still into Jefferson Starship - obsessed with 'The Winds of Change' album and have just purchased 'Modern Times' and 'Nuclear Furniture', the latter of which was produced by Peter Wolff who produced...'Software'. I would love that album. Also just bought 'Sunfighter' so looking forward to discovering that!

Grace wrote you a letter? Wow. I'm envious. To my knowledge she doesn't do that very often for fans anyway. Treasure it.
brumus

Postby psychy on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:36 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Kool:):)
Imageù
psychy

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions