how do you feel

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

how do you feel

Postby angel96 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:54 am

By any chance is there a live version of the song? One of my favorite songs on the pillow album
angel96

Re: how do you feel

Postby brumus on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:06 pm

angel96 wrote:By any chance is there a live version of the song? One of my favorite songs on the pillow album

Not to my knowledge. Jorma's acoustic guitar shines on that cut.

A favorite ive cut from that album for me is Comin' Back To Me featuring the whole band. Marty singing and fingerpicking the guitar, Jorma on lead, Jack bass, Spencer on drums using brushes, Paul on acoustic 12 string and backing vocals, Grace on recorder and backing vocals.

The performance is rather rough (Jorma is out of tune) but I love the arrangement. Paul adds that deep, dark tone to Marty's light, lyrical touch.

Probably one of the few times they played acoustically on stage (Marty and Paul on acoustic) as Jefferson Airplane.
brumus

Postby JoeD80 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:55 pm

Jorma is playing electric guitar on How Do You Feel. I thought that was Paul's acoustic; it sounds like a 12-string to me.

Where is this full version of Comin Back to Me? The only versions I've ever heard are on Surrealistic Pillow and Jefferson Airplane Loves You.
JoeD80

Postby brumus on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:07 pm

JoeD80 wrote:Jorma is playing electric guitar on How Do You Feel. I thought that was Paul's acoustic; it sounds like a 12-string to me.

Where is this full version of Comin Back to Me? The only versions I've ever heard are on Surrealistic Pillow and Jefferson Airplane Loves You.

I was referring to the JA Loves You box set, the live cut of them playing the song. It's very crude but I think that arrangement (not performance) is possibly what they had in mind for Pillow since the cut that's on there with Marty, Jack, Grace and Garcia was really just a demo, to get it on tape, I don't think it was intended to be the master cut but afterwards decided to go with it (my guess).

Paul doesn't fingerpick to my knowledge, he's a flatpicker and that clean, intricate fingerstyle acoustic 6 string playing on HDYF is definitely Jorma (IMO).
brumus

Postby redrabid on Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Sorry Angel, no luck.
This song was never played live.
See Craig Fenton "Take Me To A Circus Tent" page 33:
'Not documented to have been played live
D.C.B.A.-25
How Do You Feel".
redrabid

Postby angel96 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:41 am

Dcba was actually played live and I have it on my ipod.
angel96

Postby JoeD80 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:26 pm

I have the live version of DCBA as well; November 25th, 1966 at the Fillmore.

Haven't come across any live version of How Do You Feel
JoeD80

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions