Grace Slick's Software

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Grace Slick's Software

Postby Lilla on Mon May 23, 2005 4:27 am

I've just bought Grace's soloalbum, Software which was made in 1983. I have to say that I'm a little confused because there are songs only with linn programming, synth bass and all that stuff which were very....errr.. popular in the 80s but I think it's a cheap music and i don't like it. Grace sings very good as always, the lyrics are also good but the music is very 80s and poor and is far away what Grace did in the 60s and 70s...

what do you think of this album?

cheers, Lilla
'No matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it' - Gracie
Lilla

Postby baronvonjack on Tue May 24, 2005 1:54 am

software i like it
chessey 80's arragements :P
i was a teenager back in 83
trust me their was alot worse being put out back then
i like the fact that grace co wrote all the songs with pete wolf.
its better then any thing starship was putting out at that time
i like to think of it as grace inbraceing the future 80's style
all the machines say "we're ok " :mrgreen:
hurry up sleep take me
else i'll be late for tea
Baronvon jack
baronvonjack

Postby psychhead on Tue May 24, 2005 2:15 am

In the '80s, whenever I heard the words "synth", "drum machines", etc., I had to literally run to the nearest toilet and vomit (THIS IS MY OPINION!!). For this and other obscure reasons, I never tried listening to Software so I can't "judge"........but I admit that this is the wrong way of choosing music because I have come to like techno a lot these days...but then it's not the '80s anymore!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8) :D
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby Don Rico on Tue May 24, 2005 9:01 pm

I agree...

In the '80's as a young LSD-fired hellion, I LOATHED anything digital, synthesized or computer-generated...

Still prefer good ol' blood 'n' guts to cold machine sterilization...

BUT I would like to hear that Grace techno-style now and see how it might or might not hold up...
Don Rico

Re: Grace Slick's Software

Postby Bluzman on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:02 pm

I think that we should appreciate Grace Slick, the artist , with this offering. Software was much more adventurous than anything the Jefferson Starship was doing in 1984. The parallel is the same as it was in 1966, with her group The Great Society, which was , even in their amateur musicianship , far more experimental and "psychedelic" than the Jefferson Airplane,was.. in that same year. Grace was simply embracing and producing the sound of her time... She has never been one to live in the past or definately not repeat it, if she had her say. Software was a very notable effort for her at that time. She was taken to task by the older fans, for not being "Gracie Slick' of the Milktrain 'days. Grace has always been interested in the "now' and even though eighties music was not my thing, ... She did , however, make me listen to her interpretation of the "sound' .. and I was impressed that she could be so creative within the eighties context and pull me in with her still strong and imaginative vocal "hooks'.Good stuff, hope it will be released on cd someday.
Bluzman

Postby JoeD80 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:59 pm

This is one of my favorite "side-project" albums. Sure it has an electronic snyth sound, but it's still Grace vocals and her lyrics. My favorites ar e"Call It Right Call It Wrong" (let's trade sins if you don't mind I'll use yours and you'll use mine), "Me and Me" (there are at least two ways of looking at this and four of them are yours and mine), and "Rearrange My Face." (she says I'm lucky to have this job; she thinks I'm just a lazy slob; today I think I'll...........quit. [change my name, change my face, quit my job, don't call me Grace])

The song "Magician" on Nuclear Furniture is done with the same musicians that did the songs on Software - the only addition is Craig Chaquico's lead guitar line. So that song can give you a good idea of what the album sounds like.
JoeD80

Postby psychy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:26 am

The song "Magician" on Nuclear Furniture is done with the same musicians that did the songs on Software - the only addition is Craig Chaquico's lead guitar line. So that song can give you a good idea of what the album sounds like.

NF...now here's an album I know and love very much:). Magician is far out...yes, it's "electronic", but it's not disturbing to the mind & soul, if ya know what I mean 8) :twisted: . Grace did know what she was doing with electronics back then and it surely wasn't anything like the Gaga garbage of today:)!!!!
Imageù
psychy

Return to Open Forums