Tobacco Road Intro Tab

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Tobacco Road Intro Tab

Postby brumus on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Another 12 string intro from Takes Off; Tobacco Road.

My educated guess tells me that it's caped on the 2nd fret, playing the A minor chord, making it in the key of B minor and Jorma fingerpicks the intro on the recording while Paul uses a flat pick in concert.

On the recording you can hear Jorma "pull off" the 2nd and 3rd strings of the A minor first position chord. Paul plays it like he's done on countless other songs (intro to Have You Seen The Saucers for one) as demonstrated here:

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------5------------------------4-----------------------0-----------------------------------|
D|-------------------7------------------------5-----------------------2----------------------4------------|
A|--------0----------------------0------------------------0----------------------0-----------5------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

It's a magical 12 string moment on Takes Off. Perhaps my favorite JA album, for now anyway. ;-)
brumus

Re: Tobacco Road Intro Tab

Postby geckoman1220 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:20 am

thanks man, every little bit helps. takes off has too been a favorite of mine lately. let me in and runnin' round this world are my two favorite at the moment.
geckoman1220

Postby JoeD80 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:39 pm

It's subtle on the studio version because they are both laid on the right channel but both Paul and Jorma are playing.
JoeD80

Postby brumus on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:28 pm

I believe Paul uses a drop D tuning for Let Me In. I love the guitar interplay btwn Jorma and Paul on the live Runnin' Round This World with Jorma fingerpicking a 6 string while Paul uses the Rick 12.

Yeah, on the lead break in Tobacco Road, that's Paul playing the single note Rick 12 string part on the album like he did when they played it live. Jorma plays the lead 6 string of course. I always felt Takes Off was better produced than Pillow but the mixing on TO was old style, instruments on one side, vocals on the other, but the overall feel of the album felt better. Pillow too overproduced IMO.
brumus

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions