How Barack became President of the US

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: How Barack became President of the US

Postby Junior on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:05 am

Three words: Oprah's Book Club
How many fingers am I holding?
Junior

Postby Ensign on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:38 pm

People were sick of "W"-and-crew's destruction of the economy, looting of the treasury, war-mongering, contradiction of the Constitution (Patriot Act - yeah right - very patriotic), the Bush family's friendship with the Bin Ladens, overt strong ties to Big Oil, and lies ("mission accomplished" - uh huh). They didn't want more of the McSame, were afraid that McSame would die in office and leave us with Palin as President. So the choice was abundantly clear: Obama. Like him or not, it would have been alot worse with the GOP.
Ensign

Postby Junior on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Agreed. But the actual mechanism by which Obama got elected, was Oprah's Book Club.
Junior

Postby Ensign on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:52 am

I don't know anything about Oprah's Book Club, and it sounds like I ought to... so I will do some research. This isn't a joke, right?
Ensign

Postby Junior on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:58 pm

It's not a joke. Oprah said something like "I've never done this before" and endorsed Obama. And she had a very friendly interview with him. This introduced a young Senator to a very receptive audience and made him seem safe, despite his Otherness.. like the Good Housekeeping Seal Of Approval. I have no proof but I am sure a lot of Oprah's demographic might have been wary of Obama or less enthusiastic to actually vote for him, without her endorsement.
Junior

Postby Ensign on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks for the explanation. They say "any publicity is good publicity." So it must follow that any friendly, promoting publicity is even better than the other kind.
Ensign

Postby redrabid on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:54 pm

These are scholastic questions, like how many angels can stand on the head of a pin.
Maybe it is more important to ask how Obama can be re-elected, given the poor results of his presidency untill now.Looking from Europe, there seems to be no better candidate in sight.
Too bad.
redrabid

Postby Ensign on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:37 pm

I see it like this: let's say you jump into the driver's seat of a bus, which is hurtling downhill and out-of-control. It's going to take a long time to get that bus safely stopped. Then imagine that some of the passengers on the bus are trying to make sure you are unsuccessful at the task you have at hand. Now you know why Obama hasn't fixed all the problems he inherited.
After 8 years of "W" it is a little naive to think ANYBODY would be able to get everything straightened out in less than one single term. It takes a lot less time to destroy something than it does to fix it.
Ensign

Postby redrabid on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Oh, I can go along with what you write, Ensign.
But now that the Republicans have gone totally insane, strangled by the religious Right, the Tea Party and the increasingly anti-constitutional Fox (what's in a name), it looks like that Obama lacks the experience or the capabilities to be a leader. He's got no killer-instinct. But as there is no one better in sight: How are you gonna have him re-elected?
redrabid

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:18 am

Re Oprah's Book Club, the Australian Prime Minister recently tried to get cool off Oprah. It hasn't worked.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby BlackCladLizard on Sat May 19, 2012 12:20 am

Anyone following what's going on lately?
BlackCladLizard

Postby Junior on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:12 pm

He's going to lose.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think he only won on a fluke because Bush was so terrible that very few humans would vote for his party's candidate in 2008. The radio is controlled by the 1% and everywhere I go I hear workers: painters, carpenters, etc., either listening to Classic Rock or right-wing talk. The workers are being brainwashed that even a milquetoast wimpy liberal like Obama is a closet Commie who will kill their own chances of Making It.There is also the FEAR OF SIN factor. A candidate cannot win in the US if enough voters are convinced that it is a "sin" to vote for that candidate. While a few nut jobs are afraid of Romney's Mormonism, many more are afraid to vote for a President who would allow birth control to remain legal.
I've been right a lot of times and I'm due to be wrong, so here's hoping
Bye now- Jr
Junior

Postby Princess Aiko on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:42 pm

Usually I don't agree with Junior but sadly, I too think President Obama may well lose. The Republicans will pull all kinds of sh*t! Like in 2000, like every time! Like the Pennsylvania Photo ID Law which is designed to prevent the poor from voting and scare the paranoid from voting. ALL BECAUSE OIF THE GREED OF THE 1%! How come when an election is stolen in Africa or Iran people will risk death to take to the streets and protest, but here in Amerikka people will shrug it off and go to Applebee's?
I am already getting pissed off and I'm not even on the rag
"now let the free men come through"
Princess Aiko

Postby Junior on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:07 pm

People here don't think it matters. In Russia they protested a little but since some of them are doing ok it fizzles out. In the places you mention they have nothing to lose anyway. Also they are less hypnotized by tv so they can recognize a rip-off under their noses
I thought you agreed with me about some other thing Was that you?
Junior

Postby redrabid on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Of course, it matters!
Another religious nut at the controls is one too many.
Save the world from presidents looking forward to The End.
redrabid

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums