Jefferson Airplane Mythology

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Jefferson Airplane Mythology

Postby redrabid on Thu May 03, 2012 4:41 pm

JA mythology is full of contradictions. I find that fascinating. All those different views of band members and others on what happened, didn't happen or might have happened.
So I am always looking for old interviews in which the covering up of things unpleasant wasn't yet complete.
I found an interview with Spencer Dryden from 1993 that gives some slightly different perspectives: On how Skip Spence left, on the position of Marty Balin and on the disastrous project of the 1989 reunion album.
But up till now I haven't found an answer to that puzzling question (raised among others by Tamarkin): Why did Grace Slick want to leave the Airplane sometime late 1967?
Anyone out there who knows?

http://www.terrascope.co.uk/MyBackPages ... Dryden.htm
redrabid

Re: Jefferson Airplane Mythology

Postby psychy on Fri May 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Perhaps the answer my friend is "blowing in the pages of this book....."......I dunno 'coz I never got it in the mail!!!!:(
http://www.buybooksontheweb.com/product ... 14-3656-6#

By blackglove at 2012-05-04
Imageù
psychy

Postby redrabid on Fri May 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Alas, psychy, it does't. "Circus Tent" lists all the recordings and performances by JA and includes interviews (most of them not very interesting) with people who were involved in one way or the other with the Jefferson family.
This book is not essential reading.
redrabid

Postby psychy on Fri May 04, 2012 3:14 pm

redrabid wrote:Alas, psychy, it does't. "Circus Tent" lists all the recordings and performances by JA and includes interviews (most of them not very interesting) with people who were involved in one way or the other with the Jefferson family.
This book is not essential reading.

I don't think CF intended it to be THAT essential of course.....it's packed with rare photos and things though, but as I said above, I haven't had the chance to read it....yet :):)
Imageù
psychy

Postby redrabid on Fri May 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Packed with rare photo's?
Certainly not. Just a few. In a lousy print, without any contrast, like a bad photo copy.
Dont expect too much.
redrabid

Postby psychy on Sat May 05, 2012 3:46 am

redrabid wrote:Packed with rare photo's?
Certainly not. Just a few. In a lousy print, without any contrast, like a bad photo copy.
Dont expect too much.

I never expect much from any book especially books on music and musical matters :):):)!!!!....but then I get a surprise 45% of the time :):)
Imageù
psychy

Postby brumus on Sat May 05, 2012 2:34 pm

From what I read or heard, Grace had the clout then with two big hits, STL, WR, recognition at Monterey and not to mention being a beautiful woman. I believe she had offers, not just for recording but movies as well. She gave it consideration like anyone would. Thankfully she decided correctly. :-)

I remember reading Jorma thought of leaving in 67-68 after seeing Cream when they first played SF in 67.

In either case, I think it wasn't just for the money or fame, it was what offered the best opportunity to expand and grow as an artist/musician.
brumus

Postby psychy on Mon May 07, 2012 7:05 am

People like Grace, Jorma and Marty Balin are PURE artists....that have to eat like all human beings :roll: :D .....BUT pure artists all the same...of course it WASN'T only for the $$$:)!|!!
Imageù
psychy

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Mon May 07, 2012 11:31 pm

What I want to know is what REALLY happened with Signe, some sources say she left because she wanted to raise her child and others say they asked her to leave because she didn't like to get out of town to perform live!

And the thing with Grace leaving the band was that the tensions within the band started right after After Bathing at Baxter's and she took her offer seriously but I think it was Jerry Slick who asked for a huge sum of money and the offer was withdrawn.
CookOfTheHouse

Postby psychy on Tue May 08, 2012 3:55 am

CookOfTheHouse wrote:What I want to know is what REALLY happened with Signe, some sources say she left because she wanted to raise her child and others say they asked her to leave because she didn't like to get out of town to perform live!

And the thing with Grace leaving the band was that the tensions within the band started right after After Bathing at Baxter's and she took her offer seriously but I think it was Jerry Slick who asked for a huge sum of money and the offer was withdrawn.

What I know is that Signe was not in good health.
Imageù
psychy

Postby JoeD80 on Thu May 10, 2012 2:44 pm

redrabid wrote:But up till now I haven't found an answer to that puzzling question (raised among others by Tamarkin): Why did Grace Slick want to leave the Airplane sometime late 1967?

She and Spencer Dryden both wanted more time off then they were getting with Bill Graham as manager.

She did get the offer for a solo album, and Jerry Slick would have gotten money for making a film for a track on the album; but she asked for a lot of money and the deal was dropped (this is in Jeff's book).

In January 1968, the band fired Graham as manager and Grace stayed.
JoeD80

Postby brumus on Sat May 12, 2012 2:21 pm

Btw, I forgot to thank redrabid for the link to the Dryden interview. It's always interesting to hear from those who didn't speak much to the media like Spencer.

One other one I'd like to have heard from, before he went off the deep end, was Skip Spence. Never heard or read his take on the beginnings of JA. I'd like to have known whether he came up with the drum arrangements on Takes Off, like on Come Up The Years, he intentionally doesn't play the downbeat, very interesting. For a guy who never played the drums before, that's pretty creative.
brumus

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions