JA Setlists

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

JA Setlists

Postby cdog1954 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:52 am

Does anyone know of a web site that offers a definitive set list of JA's concerts over the years?

Secondly how often (if ever) was "Spare Chaynge" played Live...?
cdog1954

Re: JA Setlists

Postby redrabid on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Just google JA BASE Set Lists and you 'll find all the information you need. It is an excellent site. It even mentions that there were two shows in Amsterdam on 9/15/68. Also buy "Take Me To A Circustent" by Craig Fenton that also lists all JA concerts, but is not always complete: Fenton mentions only one show in Amsterdam for instance. He does write that "Spare Chaynge" was played live at least once before the release of "Baxter's". Fenton also interviews lots of people connected to JA in one way of another.
redrabid

Postby cdog1954 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:33 am

thx "redrabid"...i bookmarked it.

I didn't see 6/14/67 listed there....that's the date given on "After Bathing @ Baxter's" cd for the great bonus track of "The Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil" .

Any clue where that was recorded??
cdog1954

Postby redrabid on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:45 am

Fenton too doesn't mention a show on 6/14/67, so I doubt there was one on that date. I always thought that the bonus track was a recording of the Monterey Pop Festival performance of that song, which was on 6/17/67: The bonus track on "Baxter's" sounds the same to me, though a bit cleaner, as the recording of 'Ballad" on Jefferson Airplane "Live At The Monterey Pop Festival".
redrabid

Postby JoeD80 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:49 pm

Definitely not the same version of Pooneil because the verses are in different places at the end of the song. There's only one "will the moon still hang in the sky" on the Baxter's version and two on the Monterey version. Also an added verse on the Baxter's version not on the Monterey version ("never been so high but i've tried"). In regards to setlists the ones on Wolfgang's Vault are more complete for several Fillmore shows because they were just recently dug out of the archives post-Fenton's book.
JoeD80

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions