Books

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: Books

Postby Hirondelle on Sun May 02, 2010 7:28 pm

right now i'm reading everything written by burroughs, any suggestions?

already red, naked lunch, junkie ( aka the monkey on the shoulders, i think) and queer.

thanks,

and by the way, i'm new here (altough often i have red the topics and i decided to join only now)
Hirondelle

Postby okeedoe on Sun May 09, 2010 2:42 am

I 've just started to read Clapton : the Autobiography.Has anyone of you read it yet?Any trace of JA there ?
okeedoe

Postby plasticfantastic on Sun May 09, 2010 3:16 am

Oh wow, my mom just started reading the Clapton book yesterday... odd coincidence. I'm planning on reading it once she finishes.

No JA mentions she's told me about, but she said that it's really great.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby okeedoe on Sun May 09, 2010 4:07 am

I'm glad to hear that your mom shares some similar interests with me,Lily.>smile<
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:54 pm

I think very few of the dodges in Steal This Book would work nowadays. If they ever did!
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Let's revive this nice old topic once again.It doesn't deserve to die beforetime .

In his ''Autobiography'', Clapton wrote that he quite despised R&R scene of the USA west coast whose main representatives were JA,G.Dead and The B.B. & Holding Co.At that time, he says, I simply didn't understand what was that they were doing and they sounded second-rated to me.
(In my own poor translation)

Nice piccie,Sue.

Susan bathing her Dionysian smile in lucent golden beams of the Sun God.And there's a blueish-green aura of the divine order of placidity around her.And everything is as it should be and in its place.And there is a forever captured piece of my soul sitting insensibly on her shoulder. The best picture on the forum so far. Lovely.
okeedoe

Postby psychy on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:12 am

This topic wnet into other artists' books, right....??!:):)
Imageù
psychy

Postby Susan Butcher on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:08 am

I guess it's "What are you reading?" now. In my case, a pile of Times and Newsweeks from 1967-68. "Macbird!" is a new one on me. And who ever heard of "Funk Art"?! (Picture of JA and lightshow to follow somewhere where pictures go.)
Susan Butcher

Postby psychy on Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm currently reaDING...........................

By blackglove at 2011-09-15

By blackglove at 2011-09-15
Imageù
psychy

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:02 am

"Albion Dreaming", which asks the question "Why is LSD demonised?" (Considering that the health risk's pretty low, it doesn't contribute much to crime, and the proposition that it causes mental illness is an unanswerable chicken and egg.)
Susan Butcher

Postby psychy on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:41 pm

By blackglove at 2011-12-12
Imageù
psychy

Postby cdog1954 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:09 am

Susan it's been 40 years since I read that bestseller. Here's an overview from Wiki

"The book's argument rests on three separate types of consciousness. "Consciousness I" applies to the world-view of rural farmers and small businesspeople that arose and was dominant in 19th century America. "Consciousness II" represents a viewpoint of "an organizational society", featuring meritocracy and improvement through various large institutions; it dominated the New Deal, World War II and 1950s generations. "Consciousness III" represents the worldview of the 1960s counterculture, focusing on personal freedom, egalitarianism, and recreational drugs.[2]

The book mixed sociological analysis with panegyrics to rock music, cannabis, and blue jeans, arguing that these fashions embodied a fundamental shift in world view.

The book was a best-seller in 1970 and 1971, and topped the New York Times Best Seller list on December 27, 1970 and other weeks.[3]"
cdog1954

Postby cdog1954 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:10 am

above post refers to "The Greening of America"
cdog1954

Postby cdog1954 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:20 am

I'm finishing up "Storming Heaven: LSD and the American Dream" by Jay Stevens. It's enjoyable and in some places redundant. I had read "Acid Dreams" long ago and wanted to hear another authors point of view/research.

Next up is another book on the subj of "Modern Art" ...I had read recently H.H. Arnason's History of Modern Art and loved it.

Then I also have up a re-reading of Phil Lesh's "Searching for the Sound"...having just come off a re-reading of Dennis McNally's "Long Strange Trip: the Inside History of the Grateful Dead"
cdog1954

Postby psychy on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:33 am

cdog1954 wrote:I'm finishing up "Storming Heaven: LSD and the American Dream" by Jay Stevens. It's enjoyable and in some places redundant. I had read "Acid Dreams" long ago and wanted to hear another authors point of view/research.

Next up is another book on the subj of "Modern Art" ...I had read recently H.H. Arnason's History of Modern Art and loved it.

Then I also have up a re-reading of Phil Lesh's "Searching for the Sound"...having just come off a re-reading of Dennis McNally's "Long Strange Trip: the Inside History of the Grateful Dead"

All really farout books there.....thanx for the heads up on them :):)!!!
Imageù
psychy

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums