A little story..

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

A little story..

Postby alexx23 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:04 pm

I always loved sixties music. The first LP I ever played on my dad's stereo was "Meet the Beatles", a record my mom bought during a journey in the States in 1963, that I discovered at my grandma's house when I was five or six, many years later. Where my love for the Beatles or the sixties bands came from I don't know, since I was born after the Woodstock Festival, I come from Roma, Italia, not from London or Frisco, so to speak, and my parents were not particularly interested in music stuff. That's the magic of life, I suppose. Anyway, it was 30th of November 1980, my dad bought me a Mickey Mouse comic, like almost every week, but this time it had something different. Inside of it, there was a little "Dictionary of Rock", in which they explained the different kind of rock styles with the names of famous artists ("Latin Rock": ...rock with south american influences..use of congas blah blah, Santana etc.). The very first voice of it all was "Acid Rock", and I learned about "acid tests" and the "music composed or played under the influence of LSD and other drugs.." - on Mickey Mouse! I swear, it's all true..I still got that comic! - and made the names of famous artists and bands in that genre, like Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead etc. Psyched, intrigued, after some time I happened into a record store and bought this "After Bathing at Baxter's" cassette..it was the sunshine of a great love story that still endures after 30 years, got so many music, books, dvds from JA and the Dead..and, needless to say, everytime I listen to "After Bathing.." the natural magic of the music shines a little more with the memory of a precious discover. More than this, I fell in love with the Bass - I bought one some years later and begun to play - by listening to Jack Casady, I had the pleasure to meet him after an Hot Tuna concert a few years ago in a small venue near Roma, he and Jorma came downstage after the show, shook hands with everyone and signed autographs, they were as kind as one can possibly imagine, and obviously I was delighted from the chance I had to thank them for so many years of beautiful vibes they gave and still give to me. Excuse me for my english..I'm not mother tongue..just wanted to share those feelings with you.
alexx23

Re: A little story..

Postby MilkTrain on Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Great story.

Baxters was the first JA record i bought as well. What an introduction! That was in 83 or 84. Havent stopped since 8)
MilkTrain

Postby redrabid on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:07 pm

What a lovely "little story", Alexx23.
I wish more heartfelt stories like this would be posted on this forum.
Thank you very much.
redrabid

Postby psychy on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Ciao Alessandro, come stai??? My parents were Italian, but I'm a trueblue Aussie at heart.....who digs the psychedelic sounds of JA:):):):)
Imageù
psychy

Postby psychy on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:44 pm

...oh by the way man, sei grande...bella storia man :):):) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)
Imageù
psychy

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions