Remixes of jefferson Airplane

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Remixes of jefferson Airplane

Postby redrabid on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:03 pm

Everbody on vacation, aren't you?
Well, I'll play king on this forum, I'll make it mine.
Roaming the Net, trying to find answers to questions relating to paintings I am trying to make for a new exposition next year (for instance, do we dream in colour? Some time ago I read that men dream in black and white, but women in colour) I drift off to Jefferson Airplane videos, especially remixes by today's dj's.
Most (if not, dare I say it, all) aren't succesful IMO, the original arrangements shine through too strongly. Above all the vocals are compellingly reminiscent of the true recordings.
If you know a good remix of a JA song, will you let me know?
Any revolutionaries out there?
redrabid

Re: Remixes of jefferson Airplane

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:38 am

I'm not on holiday, I'm just un-psychedelically busy, and I usually dream in colour. I think a good remix depends upon access to the original multitrack tapes. Simply chopping a finished recording up and reassembling it doesn't really alter its sound.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby Egg Crisis on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:12 pm

I've never dreamt in black and white. What a bizarre idea.

As for remixes, I don't like them, they usually sound awful. If it was done properly the first time why mess with it?
And usually they're done without any involvement of the original musicians, which is also a bad thing.

Now if you've got the original multitrack tapes and you're doing a "different mix" (as opposed to remix) maybe because the original mix was bad then that's fine, but that's not the same as some self-appointed "DJ" making a remix.
Egg Crisis

Postby MilkTrain on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 pm

I was at a dance party thing in a town called Daylesford just out of Melbourne, about 400 very happy people in an old Victorian Town Hall, an ornate structure that seemed perfectly suited to the sort of mad musical mayhem that was happening on this particular night. Now, id never heard of the Boogie Pimps remix of Somebody To Love (but the DJ at the party had it and he had done some remixing of his own, he made it way longer and brought Graces searing vocal right up).
So there i am, dancing away for hours to lots of great music, the night was getting better and better, great crowd, really cutting loose :D when, down in the background of the track the DJ was playing, i could hear a repeated lyric, over and over "When the truth is found to be lies" over and over and over, at first i thought i must have been hallucinating ha ha( well sort of :P ) Then KA-BOOOOM!!!! :shock: full on Jefferson Airplane/Grace Slick :shock: , Strobing lights,mad bassline and Graces magnificent voice... The crowd went KRAZY,even though i am sure that most of 'em had never heard of Grace Slick before. I was hopping around like i had a pogo stick up my rear :D and all my friends thought i had gone completely mad! It was definitely the most fun 8 or 9 minutes ever. If you shut your eyes it could have been the Avalon or Filmore and for a moment, Life was perfect! :mrgreen:

I had been going to those sort of rave parties for years and it always struck me that they were like the old San Francisco ballroom days, i always thought how fantastic it would be to hear a JA song at one of them. I NEVER thought that it would possibly happen but it did and it was SO GOOD!!!

The other really good remix i have heard was a killer gospel version of Lou Reeds "Perfect Day" much the same sort of situation but a much bigger crowd, something like 18,000 at the after parade party for the Gay Mardi Gras in Sydney, it was so beautiful ,people were crying! The early morning sun rays were slanting into this massive old hall and probably 10,000 people were on the dancefloor absolutely entranced by Lou's perfect song.
MilkTrain

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:16 am

VER-ry interesting.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby MilkTrain on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:52 pm

It was fantastic Susan. :D
MilkTrain

Return to Open Forums