Bless Its Pointed Little Head - Recording Dates?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Bless Its Pointed Little Head - Recording Dates?

Postby Laeotaekhun on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi all!

I've just managed to get my hands on a copy of the vinyl issue of "Bless Its Pointed Little Head", which I want to include in my computer library complete with full recording details and I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me out with the exact recording dates for each track.

The only info' that I've been able to come up with is as follows:

Tracks 1, 4, 9 and 10 Recorded November 28-30, 1968 at Fillmore East, New York
Tracks 2, 3 and 5 to 8 Recorded October 24-26, 1968 at Fillmore West, San Francisco.

I can, only, guess that each song was recorded in one hit, on each of the given dates, and then the best version chosen for release, because I think it was before the days when they started editing pieces of multiple recordings together.

So, does anyone know the specific recording date of each song included on the album?

Any help will be very much appreciated.
Laeotaekhun

Re: Bless Its Pointed Little Head - Recording Dates?

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Check out what's on the LP!

"Clergy" (recorded November 28–30 at Fillmore East)
"3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds" (recorded October 24–26 at Fillmore West)
"Somebody to Love" (recorded October 24–26 at Fillmore West)
"Fat Angel" (recorded November 28–30 at Fillmore East)
"Rock Me Baby" (recorded October 24–26 at Fillmore West)
"The Other Side of This Life" (recorded October 24–26 at Fillmore West)
"It's No Secret" (recorded October 24–26 at Fillmore West)
"Plastic Fantastic Lover" (recorded October 24–26 at Fillmore West)
"Turn Out the Lights" (recorded November 28–30 at Fillmore East)
"Bear Melt" (recorded November 28–30 at Fillmore East)
CookOfTheHouse

Postby Laeotaekhun on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:09 pm

CookOfTheHouse on Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:07 am siad:

"Check out what's on the LP!"

I did!!

Please read my initial post again - it contains ALL of the information you posted!
Laeotaekhun

Postby PrayForPlagues on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:41 pm

I think that may be the most specific information you're gonna find- the only person who might know that I can think of would be band historian Craig Fenton or possibly Jeff Tamarkin.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby redrabid on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:19 am

Strangely enough, Fenton doesn't list the shows that were recorded for BIPLH, except 10/26/68.
Fenton writes: "Of the songs performed on 10/26/68 only "Rock Me Baby" made the album".
redrabid

Postby Laeotaekhun on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:11 am

PrayForPlagues wrote:I think that may be the most specific information you're gonna find- the only person who might know that I can think of would be band historian Craig Fenton or possibly Jeff Tamarkin.

Many thanks for that.

I emailed CF with both of my queries (BIPLH & Run Around) and he, very kindly, took the time to reply.

Unfortunately, he could only confirm the range of dates that I had quoted but could tell me that (as far as he was aware) the uncensored version of "Run Around" had not been previously released before 2003.

Interestingly, he, also, pointed out a similar case (but in reverse) with "Runnin' 'Round This World," which was censored from all but initial copies due to the line "The nights I've spent with you have been fantastic trips." "Trips" was blocked out, until the remaster.

redrabid wrote:Strangely enough, Fenton doesn't list the shows that were recorded for BIPLH, except 10/26/68.
Fenton writes: "Of the songs performed on 10/26/68 only "Rock Me Baby" made the album".

Interesting!

Can you please tell me where he wrote that because in his reply (please see above) he wrote the following:

"5. "Rock Me Baby" (recorded October 24–26 at Fillmore West) traditional,
arranged by Jefferson Airplane 7:40"

Many thanks again to you both - your replies were very much appreciated.
Laeotaekhun

Postby redrabid on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:33 am

Craig Fenton, Take Me To A Circus Tent, page 144.
redrabid

Postby Laeotaekhun on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:21 am

redrabid wrote:Craig Fenton, Take Me To A Circus Tent, page 144.

Many, many thanks for that.

I quoted your post back to him, because I thought that then that the other tracks recorded at Fillmore West MUST have been recorded on either October the 24th. or 25th, which does narrow it down a bit!

I'm guessing though that, either, he has too many emails to deal with personally (so are handled by an assistant, using his name) or he'd forgotten/did not check what he wrote.

Either way that does not lessen my respect for the guy - he would appear to have forgotten more about JA than most of us knew in the first place!

That having been said, it has not stopped me from emailing him again asking for clarification!

I'll keep you informed of any reply.
Laeotaekhun

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions