What Are You Listening To?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: What Are You Listening To?

Postby Junior on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:11 am

I was listening to this loop of Embryonic Journey that came out of nowhere, but I muted it
How many fingers am I holding?
Junior

Postby psychy on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:07 pm

By blackglove at 2011-04-04
Imageù
psychy

Postby redrabid on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:52 am

Eskimo Blue Day - The Gun Club
This cover of Grace Slick's fabulous song about the insignificance of the human species stays in its arrangement quite close to the original recording by JA. Also it shows that JA's version (in fact all of "Volunteers") would have benefitted a lot if it had been produced more clearly.
redrabid

Postby jimmie ray on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:10 am

redrabid wrote:
Google "Hot Tuna Blues Live Tilles Center CW Post Campus New York 2-5-2011". The sound quality is lousy, but it must have been an awsome show. You can hear And see that: the musicians are grinning and smiling while playing and when they are not playing you see their enjoyment and surprise of what the others are doing. Jack Casady used to be a pillar of salt on stage. Now, no longer under the influence, he is dancing (well, sort of) around the stage, telling GE Smith the chords of "Serpent Of Dreams" (so good!). You can see him jumping even. In Skoota Warner Jack and Jorma have finally found a drummer who equals, possibly surpasses the still much maligned and underappreciated Spencer Dryden. And Berry's electric mandoline brings back vague memories of what I think must have been an English band. Whatever, I like his playing.
Is it too much to ask for a proper Live Album of this tour? One that acknowledges their psychedelic roots?

I was there! Yes, Jorma does seem to enjoy sharing the stage with guest musicians, and doing that may be one of the reasons they're still touring. However... I personally best enjoy them with as few people onstage as possible. Not that they don't make a nice "rhythm section", but the one on one interaction and Jack's aggressiveness is what makes them my favorite duo. Skoota Warner seems to be an excellent drummer, and a good fit for their electric portions. Barry Mitterhoff has been with them for quite a few years, and does some interesting leads with various instruments - his mandolin playing is nice, but can get repetitive in many songs. GE Smith is accomplished - but how much of seeing another guitarist taking away Jorma's playing do you accept? I believe this was the show with another guy who played decent harmonica, and Jim Lauderdale - who kinda sucked. I'm holding out seeing them again, until they do a performance with just the core players...
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby trident sam on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:11 pm

tap in youtube.
Gary Moore/BB King -Thrill is gone, live

Must have watched this a dozen times in the last couple of days.
"Awesome" just ain't good enough

sam
sam
trident sam

Postby psychy on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:14 pm

By blackglove at 2011-08-18
Imageù
psychy

Postby psychy on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:15 pm

By blackglove at 2011-08-17
Imageù
psychy

Postby okeedoe on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:41 am

Sandy-Sandy Denny

The dreamy ,gratifying sounds of sadness and wistfulness that strike sweet wounds to the heart- alluring and lovable Anglo-Celtic melancholic yearning.The only thing certain between birth and death is that we are always at a loss .Oh Sandy,Sandy.(the corniest piece of excrement I've ever produced on here so far but pretty close to how I feel the music)

>plucking a daisy's petals one by one<

Redrabid,Deadrabid,Redrabid,Deadrabid,Redrabid,Deadrabid..........and finally Redrabid! Redrabid it is! Still he lives.
C'mon, RR.This place is a dead puddle without your false extravagance and my authentic, playfuly- provoking poor quality sarcasm .Stop crying and sulking on the pillow like an old cu.t and I will forgive you for kicking your butt.
okeedoe

Postby redrabid on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Sulking? Why should I be sulking, Okeedoe? It is Sale! So I was otherwise occupied. I bought myself really nice clothes to wear with my fuchsia-coloured jacket: white trousers, white sneakers. I declined the shop attendant's suggestion for a fuchsia coloured belt and ditto shoe laces. The guy has no taste. It would be too much, don't you think?
Pushing all this silliness aside, I did also a lot of reading. I need to edcucate myself to meet your high standards.
"The rain in Spain.."
You will be pleased.
I am listening to the quad mix of JA's "Wooden Ships" by the way. The vocals are more defined and you can hear especially Marty's contribution much better.
redrabid

Postby Junior on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi I am listening to a streaming audio of a recent set by Bob Dylan and his band. They are very interesting, my wife Betty and I saw them last week and were very entertained. We also liked Leon Russell and his band, who opened.
Before that I was listening to side A of "The Running Sores Break Out" by the Running Sores. They are a studio band from the right coast and their fans are called Sore Heads. (The Sore Heads don't go to lots of shows because they don't get out much, these days)
How many fingers am I holding?
Junior

Postby nicktecky on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Nazareth - Loud 'n' Proud: Ballad of Hollis Brown

Why isn't Dan Mccafferty better known?
nicktecky

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:22 am

I found a whole heap of KPM library 78's, and I am digging the Ted Heath stuff in the series; "Vive La Revolution", "Rocking In Morroco", "Motorway Special", etc. Early 60s big-band jazz; sorry,kids!
Last edited by Susan Butcher on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby redrabid on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:05 pm

On YouTube: "Chelsea Hotel" Hot Tuna/Starship Reunion.
You probably know "Wooden Ships" from the same concert that lead to the 1989 Jefferson Airplane reunion. Here's another gem ("in E"). Lousy sound quality, but the spirit, so long missing in the JA factions, is in the air.
redrabid

Postby psychy on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:09 am

By blackglove at 2011-08-26
Imageù
psychy

Postby redrabid on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:02 pm

"Absolutely Free" by the Mothers of Invention is one of those almost forgotten masterpieces. It's far better than "Sgt. Pepper's" for instance. I was pleasantly surprised with the Zappa/Mothers/Slick collaboration "Would You Like A Snack?", which you made me look for in my JA collection. No surprise that it wasn't on "Crown". No one else of JA, other than Grace contributed to this recording.
By the way, there is an "interview" with Frank Zappa by Grace Slick on the net;
www.dangerousminds.net/comments/grace_s ... pa_in_1984
redrabid

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums