The House At Pooneil Corners

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

The House At Pooneil Corners

Postby ericthompson13 on Fri May 13, 2011 12:08 am

There has been debate on the topic of which song out there is the very first metal song; some believe since sabbath is the "first"metal band that they would have wrote the first song, I'veeven heard some people say that Helter Skelter is the first. Well I believe house at pooneil corners is the first metal song. With such a heavy tone for its time and lyrics about death and destruction, what else could it be? Opinions?
ericthompson13

Re: The House At Pooneil Corners

Postby Baxter on Sat May 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Psychedelic Rock, my friend.
Baxter

Postby ericthompson13 on Sun May 15, 2011 7:27 pm

Comment 1 i see where ur coming from, but i definitely think music should be put into groups. its easier to generalize ur favourite music, and 2. i've heard some pretty psychedelic metal songs, so i think its somewhat of a neat idea, considering its twice as heavy as helter skelter.
ericthompson13

Postby redrabid on Tue May 17, 2011 1:59 pm

First metal song?
"All Day And All Of The Night" by The Kinks of course. 1964!
redrabid

Postby rafflysia on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:30 am

There is no "official" listing as to what were the first Heavy Metal songs to come into existence.It is well known though that the first heavy metal band to be considered as such was Black Sabbath.As for the first song to be classified as heavy metal,there is a pretty wide consensus that Blue Cheer's 1967-68 cover of The Who's summertime blues is that song.
Rodney O.
I'm 27. I'm male and I love to learn!
rafflysia

Postby nealbaxter on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:08 pm

We used the term heavy metal for a few years before Sabbath and the metal bands came out.
There was no official class of rock called metal, it was just what we called that heavy
oversaturated riff-oriented stoner rock of the late sixties early seventies. Hendrix, Tull, Yes, Zeppelin, all metal.

Seems to me the first real popular metallic-sounding tune was "Satisfaction" by the Stones. That was
the first super-heavy riff out there, really groundbreaking, proto-metal for sure. But probably not the first. The heavy electric guitar riffing and improv seemed to start somewhere in the surf-rock of the early sixties, "Miserlou" by Dick Dale comes to mind. A top contender for the "invention" of heavy rock, and a big influence on the likes of Pete Townshend, who was certainly one of the first axe murderers, was Link Wray, probably the first real distortion crunch-hammer, real early on.

Pooneil Corners really pushed the envelope, but by then lots of bands were banging their guitars pretty hard. Metal certainly owes more to the British Invasion than the San Francisco sound. Which, in my opinion, is very much to the credit of the acid-rockers.
nealbaxter

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions