Freedom... or Licence?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Freedom... or Licence?

Postby nicktecky on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:42 am

Lots of chat recently about Freedom Of Speech etc.

Any thoughts about what's been going on at the News of the World?
nicktecky

Re: Freedom... or Licence?

Postby psychy on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 am

Freedom oF speech??????? Where ,,,,,when????:(:(.......I thought that died in 1970 at Kent State Uni :(:(:(
LEST WE FORGET :(:(
Imageù
psychy

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:48 am

Good riddance to the News of the World. I also wish the Daily Mail would dry up and blow away.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby redrabid on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:09 am

Concerning the NotW the question was not so much what was said, but how the published information was obtained.
Surprisingly, this paper is no more. It has some disadvantages. Today I read about an European journalist who was stationed in London quite recently. He was advised, if he really wanted to know England, that he should read the NotW.
Does the disappearance of this paper mean that England has become unfathomable for the rest of the world?
redrabid

Postby nicktecky on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:49 am

So... Rupert Murdoch is now flying in to take control, and he is still supporting Rebekka Wade who was Editor at the time. We can only hope that this means the old boy has finally lost his judgement.
This is all about Newscorp dominating commercial television in the UK, because Analogue gets switched off next year.
Sadly, shutting NoTW was an easy decision, they are going to launch Sun on Sunday and save the cost of a couple of hundred jobs. The web names were registered two days before the story finally erupted.
Rupert Murdoch was judged to be an unfit person to hold an ITV franchise in the 70's, it looks like that was a good call! What a shame that got forgotten.

Instead the unholy alliance of Free Market Right and Libertarian Left which has run the UK for the last 30+ years has deregulated, privatised and neglected Democracy almost out of existence. We now only have the BBC to exercise the Fourth Estate function, with an occasional twitch from the corpse of the print media. (This has been a Guardian story).

There's a lot of talk of this being a wake up call, I'm not holding my breath waiting for things to change!
nicktecky

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:50 am

I get the impression that the English tabloids are there to make tons of money by telling people exactly what they want to hear. So maybe you really could discover something about the English by reading the News of the World. It would be a bit like looking through their dustbins.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby redrabid on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:06 pm

News of the World:
'Don't ask, don't tell".
redrabid

Return to Open Forums