Paul & Linda McCartney and Jefferson Airplane

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: Paul & Linda McCartney and Jefferson Airplane

Postby redrabid on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:32 am

Though I think Karen Carpenter is an extraordinary singer (free of that nasal quality a lot of American female singers nowadays have), I would choose Sandy Denny, because she moves me more. But I admit that may have something to do with the songs she sang.
redrabid

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Then Sandy Denny it is... I can't stop listening to the USA. It's a great discovery! If you have another great band like this one (with male-female vocal blends) please share them! I'm gonna try the USAs "second" album. It's by the same band leader, Byrd, and the LP is called The American Methaphysical Circus. It's got the same direction, the same use of synthesizers but this time there are THREE female lead vocalists (acording to allmusic none of them as good as Dorothy but I bet it's woth the try!)
CookOfTheHouse

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Amazing videos of Wings displaying Linda's amazing mini-Moog. Stupid critics knew nothing. She did a hell of a job playing it.

Soily - Take 7. One Hand Clapping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbPlE7GNtKA

Junior's Farm - Take 16. One Hand Clapping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFeykoifLFQ&feature=related
CookOfTheHouse

Postby redrabid on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Cook, just found an link to an interview with Grace Slick in the Wall Street Journal(!). nothing new, but when ased who was her favorite female singer right now, Grace answered: Emily Armstrong of Dead Sara (great band name!). Google her.
Very, very good. To qoute Ms. Wing: "She sounds urgent".
redrabid

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:32 pm

Grrreat, thanks for the tip! I'll stat looking for that band!
CookOfTheHouse

Postby Ensign on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Does anyone else here have a problem with reading stuff like this (from John B.Sails/Chasin Destiny)? Wasn't this person banned from this forum once before?

"The islam is a bad religion, just look at the koran."

“…moslims : a crappy religion...”

I'm not Muslim, and everybody is entitled to their own opinion; but I thought we were supposed to keep it positive here.

It's a shame that part of the legacy of JeffAir, this web site, is tarnished by such a lack of tolerance, IN MY OPINION.

What about it, Moderator?
Ensign

Postby redrabid on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:38 am

Do I have a problem with the rantings of JohnBSails?
Not really, though I don't agree with his opnions. I just ignore them, most of the time. It serves no purpose to answer JBS. His uhhh "meandering" logic is hard to follow.
But I want to say that I find the idea of banning somebody from this forum troublesome. We have freedom of speech, a concept Jefferson Airplane fought for occasionally. Putting restrictions on what is allowed to write here is taking a turn towards censorship. Demanding that every contribution should be "positive" smells too much like self-censorship.
Nice to see you back Ensign. Now there are four of us.
redrabid

Postby Ensign on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks for the "welcome back", redrabid.
I see this thread has been well and truly hijacked, and I am partly to blame; so be it.
While I heartily support freedom of speech, in general, there are limits. Sometimes the limits are brought about by common sense (not yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre, etc.) and sometimes they are brought about by the rules of the situation, in this case the Forum. Did our Administrator not say, "Having fun is good. We like fun. Please keep it positive and polite. We may take action against posts and/or topics that could cause unrest in the community beyond a civil and polite disagreement."? By objecting to racist and intolerant posts I am just trying to follow the rules of this forum, and I expect others to do so as well. (I know, that is probably naive...) Racist comments, about Moslims or anybody else, do not belong here, in my opinion. Posts that call others "stupid" and homophobic do not belong here, either. Therefore I do believe that a certain amount of surgically-applied censorship is called for. There are other places on the web, as well as out in the streets, where one can say whatever one feels like, even if it's nasty and false. I hope this doesn't turn into a place like that. If it does, I'm outta here. One more thing, and then I'm off my soap box: "self-censorship" is not necessarily a bad thing. It just may describe "restraint" and "civility" and "politeness". Isn't the legacy of Jefferson Airplane a generally positive one? Shouldn't the official web site be positive as well?
Back to Paul McCartney (finally). "Love Is All You Need."
Ensign

Postby redrabid on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Cook, do you know Cock Robin? They were an American band that had a few hits in Europe in the mid-80s. The biggest one was "The Promise You Made". The band had a female singer Anna LaCazio, though she had a more supportive role next to the leadsinger, a bit like Signy Toly Anderson had. Their singing brings up vague memories of Jefferson Airplane, just a bit, but the drama and passion is there.
redrabid

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Hey Redrabid! Thanks for the suggestion! Cock Robin is just too eighties for my taste! But the USA has become one of my favourites! I'm listening now to Joe Byrd & The Field Hippies wich is kind of the USA's spin off band and it's got some great tunes too (they actually perform "You Can't Ever Come Down" from the USA on the album!), still the crazy electric sound and very political lyrics but still amazing! You should give it a try! If you liked the USA you're gonna like Joe Byrd & The Field Hippies. The album is called "The American Metaphysical Circus" just like the USA's opening track!
CookOfTheHouse

Postby redrabid on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:19 pm

I can't imagine that you don't know the band, Cook, as it is in the same vein as Fairport Convention and Fotheringay, English folk rock: Steeleye Span. Never liked their albums. But I am a sucker for those folk derived harmonies. And Maddy Prior was an excellent singer. I heard "All Around My Hat" this morning on the radio. That's why.
redrabid

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions