Paul & Linda McCartney and Jefferson Airplane

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Paul & Linda McCartney and Jefferson Airplane

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Fri May 27, 2011 11:37 am

I've read a lot of comments about a relationship between the McCartneys and the members of the Airplane. Many people say Paul really liked Jack's bass playing, and Linda has a lot of pics of the members of the Airplane in the mansion. I read on this article about Mccartney visiting San Francisco and spending time with Jack and Marty but being unable to play Jacks right-handed bass http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/04/04/paul-mccartney-flies-to-san-francisco/ .
And here are some pics Linda took. As usual, her pics are AMAZING.

(Redbraid, notice how the pic despicts her being Gracie! It wasn't me this time! Look it up on google images!!)

This one's really famous, Grace with the G.I. Joe

And check out, this moron called Howard Sounes wrote a biography on Paul and has dedicated exclusively on creating a bad reputation for Linda. The fun part is Marty Balin's testimony of Linda turning him down!

'I was making my moves, and she just turned me down. ‘She says: “I’m going to be with the biggest guy in the world.” She told me flat out — she had her sights set on somebody and that was that.’

So, does anyone have any aditional information on this subject? Why are there only pics of Grace? I'm sure Linda took pics of the rest of the band as well! Or anything related. Thanks and enjoy!
CookOfTheHouse

Re: Paul & Linda McCartney and Jefferson Airplane

Postby redrabid on Fri May 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Nice pictures, Cook.
You know, in the late seventies the english "New Musical Express" had a young journalist called Julie Burchill, whose articles were published with a photograph, in which she looked a lot like Grace Slick in the Linda, still Eastman, photos. Also her sarcastic "tone of voice" was very similar.
Now Jefferson Airplane was (and still is) very unpopular among english critics, certainly then with punk reigning. So I wrote a letter, tongue in cheek (I know, that is very hard to do, Cook):
"Julie Burchill always reminds me of Grace Slick. Are you sure they are not one and the same? A picture of both of them to check it out, please."
It was not published.
Now it is.
My life is complete.

Now, it is dinner time;
"Where are my bodies for dinner?
I want my food!"
redrabid

Postby redrabid on Fri May 27, 2011 1:20 pm

"Silver Spoon" is playing while I eat my dinner (fish by the way, but those aren't as cute as lambs of course, are they ?).
"What if you were
starving to death and
the only food you had
was me".

"I'll eat a chocolate cake, when it is there".
Last edited by redrabid on Fri May 27, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrabid

Postby redrabid on Fri May 27, 2011 1:45 pm

We all make our own decisions on this question.
We differ in opinion.
Learn to live with it.

By the way: "Silver Spoon"is not a JA song, but a song written by Grace Slick on "Sun Fighter" by Grace Slick and Paul Kantner.
Last edited by redrabid on Fri May 27, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redrabid

Postby redrabid on Fri May 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Proud to be Dutch?
Proud of the highest percentage in German occupied countries of abducted and murdered Jews?
Proud of the fight against Indonesian freedom fighters?
Proud of Srebrenica?
Proud of your populist right wing government? Proud of blond bimbo and right wing fundamentalist Wilders?
Well, at least you can blow and fuck your brains out there, can't you?
Don't give me that nationalist crap!

Grace Slick and Linda Eastman made their choices. I respect those, but it doesn't mean I have to make the same decision.
Last edited by redrabid on Fri May 27, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrabid

Postby redrabid on Fri May 27, 2011 2:22 pm

Pardon?
Where did I say anything about Germans?
I attacked your foolish nationalism. Proud to be Dutch.
You failed your exam "close reading".
redrabid

Postby redrabid on Fri May 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Up to your old tricks again, Chasing Destiny?
You deleted a post asking: What about Pim Fortuyn?"
Here's my answer:
Pim Fortuyn? Just another new emperor with no clothes.
But more shameful for the Netherlands was that he, a politician, was murdered when he was about to win the elections. By a DUTCHMAN. That is why you deleted your post, isn't it? A dutchman murdered Fortuyn. Really something to be proud of.
redrabid

Postby redrabid on Fri May 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Ah, do you really want to defend the murder of a man who didn't agree with the opinions you think are right? Do you really defend the murder of Theo van Gogh, the director of a movie about the view on Islam by a former Somalian refugee, a woman, who had her share of the dark side of Islam?
Do you really want to defend the murder of freedom of speech?
No, I don't agree with the voiced opinions by Fortuyn and Wilders. But I'll always defend their right to say whatever they think they have to say. And I don't like politically correctness either.
For those of you who don't know Pim Fortuyn (all of you, I think): He was a populist politician in the Netherlands with strong opinions about immigrants, especially moslims. He was murdered 10 years ago by a leftwing fanatic, shortly before the elections he was about to win. He was a rather pedantic, but amusing old queen, who made no secret of his sexuality.
Pim Fortuyn himself said he had nothing against moslims: "Didn't he fuck Maroccan boys in the darkrooms of Rotterdam?"
And this will surprise most of you: The voters loved it!
That is why I am intrigued with the Netherlands, everywhere else in the world this would have nixed his chances in the elections. But in the Netherlands his popularity only grew.
redrabid

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Sun May 29, 2011 12:53 am

Come one John B Sails, your reading comprehension is really low, there's not ONE subject you can stick to. This was clearly a post about music and photography, why the hell do you have to post about animal rights? And you know each time you do it it's, first of all, out of subject and second, you always end up attacking everyone who oposes your posture. You already had to remove your account once and start all over again, you should just stop being offensive and get along with everyone, respect 'em! It's really annoying. Noone wants to talk about animal rights, at least on this forum, otherwise there'd be a discution about it on the "Open Forum" part. If you're really intrested on that subject, just post a new topic about it, don't ruin the other subjects, and try to stick to them. And don't post links on every single post!!

Redrabid: Once again I messread your nickname as "redbraid". Nah, don't put Holland down, I know some pretty cool people, not stoners or radicals at all. And not everything about the nazis was negative, their economical politics were the most efective. I don't wanna make a big deal about that statement, by the way, I know, it included nationalizing a lot of jewish business but they got over one of the largest inflations in history in only six months. At least give them that credit!

Now people PAUL AND LINDA AND JEFFERSON AIRPLANE!!

Here's a bit more about Marty's affair with Linda

As in the past, Linda ended up in bed with one of the musicians — this time Marty Balin, founder of Jefferson Airplane. But this time, at least, she applied the brakes.
Balin recalls: ‘She was a foxy chick, and all of us were ­trying to make it with her. Somehow she ended up with me, sleeping the night at my pad, but she left her underwear on.
CookOfTheHouse

Postby redrabid on Mon May 30, 2011 4:08 pm

Come on, JBS, don't be so uptight. Cook didn't write anything inappropriate.
The story is quite well-known. Remember: We are talking about the sixties, the "Golden Age of Fucking" as it is called in Tamarkin. Or as one of the women in the JA entourage said: "We were all fucking our brains out."
I think you don't know that Cook is a great Linda MCCartney fan, too. She is his all time favorite female singer!
Yes Cook, I found your top ten list on the internet. Interesting.
redrabid

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Mon May 30, 2011 4:58 pm

You're right redrabid! I'm a huge Linda McCartney fan! Just hear this, I've wanted her "Wide Prairie" album ever since I was 14, but since I live in Perú, it's imposible to get it. I had to order it from england to an american relative who was in Spain at the time. He then took it to the US and then an uncle who was traveling at the time brought it back here. I had to do that about 3 times 'cause the first time I got an EP (Only 3 songs), then I got the Book (of course by mistake, it has the same cover as the album) and then about two years ago i got the album! And I got to update that top 10 list. No Mama Cass, Mama Michelle, Lydia Pense, Spanky McFarlane, Sandy Denny, Judy Dyble, Joan Baez, or my new favourite, Karen Carpenter. But I'm glad you watched it!
Actually "Cook Of The House" is a song performed by Linda on the "Wings At The Speed Of Sound" LP. That's why I use that nickname all the time.
I don't think writing about their sexual encounters is wrong in any way, they talked about it so often and in a fun shameless way. Linda talked about her affairs with the Rolling Stones guy, Jim Morrison, and even talked about a "Dirty Weekend" she spend with Paul in an hotel and that's on the Wingspam DVD and the widowed Paul says right after Linda's testimony "yeah, a dirty weekend... she was very honest, see?". No one really cares about sex or takes it seriously this days.
It's like the Jefferson Starship concert where Grace gets nuts, some people were arguing about it 'cause they thought it was bad to publish it but Grace speaks about it as she speaks of any other anecdote and is not ofended by it in any way.

That's for redrabid, I don't owe any kind of explanation to anyone.
CookOfTheHouse

Postby redrabid on Tue May 31, 2011 11:53 am

I noticed one name missing in your list, Cook: Anne Wilson of Heart. I can't imagine you don't like her.
I don't care much for the music by Heart. But that voice!
My personal number 2 or 3, always battling Sandy Denny.
Do you know Dorothy Moskowitz of The United States of America? She sounds like a cross between Grace Slick and Signe Toly.
redrabid

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm gonna look 'em up! I never heard of Dorothy Moskowitz before, but since I was thinking of making Signe my #1 this time, I'll give her a try! And I remember I listened to Heart a while ago but, just like you said, the music sucks so bad, I just couldn't focus on the vocals. I'll look them up in youtube right away!

I just heard "Crazy On You" by Heart and Nancy plays the guitar and she's amazing! Which Heart song do you recomend? I mean, on wich Ann's vocals are outrageous, something like Grace's "White Rabbit", a song where there ain't no doubt that she ROCKS that song.

And now I've listened to "I wouldn't leave my wooden wive for you, Sugar" by the USA and I LOVED the sound! I think I'm deffinetely gonna include Moskowitz on my list! She sounds like a mix between Denise Kauffman (of The Ace Of Cups) and Judy Dyble (first Fairport Convention singer)!
CookOfTheHouse

Postby redrabid on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:54 pm

As for the "United States of America": "Wooden Wife" is one of the songs on which Dorothy Moskowicz is only singing harmonies. She was lead singer on most of their songs. Try to find "Hard Coming Love".
I can't give you any recommandation regarding Heart. I dont't like their music. But ever since " Barracuda" I consider Ann Wilson one of the best. "Alone" is of course one of those terrible 80's power-ballads. But that voice.
redrabid

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:49 am

Hey Redrabid! The USA is definetely a keeper... too bad they only released ONE LP!! And I can't find no live matherial eighter but I already got the album. It's really trippy and sounds great! I love the voice efects and the fact they use so much electric effects and no guitar!
I got a question. I can't figure out who to put fouth on my ranking... I can't choose between Karen Carpenter and Sandy Denny. I thought of Denny 'cause Karen was a pop musician and that's easy to do. But Karen was also an amazing drummer, really amazing, one of the best if you ask me. And pop or not, her voice is too good... Sandy is very different, I couldn't compare Who Knows Where the Time Goes with Close To You, that's too different... and the atmosphere is important too.. Karen seems to always get me into a good mood, it's always happy. Sandy is really sentimental, kinda plays in the same line Janis Joplin did, too deep feelings and that's important too... who would you choose between those two??
CookOfTheHouse

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions