Jack & Jorma Underated Musicians

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Jack & Jorma Underated Musicians

Postby Dray7 on Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:18 pm

For the past twenty years, whenever the discusion comes up about rock's greatest performers, it seems as though the members of the Airplane don't get mentioned as much as those from Zeppelin, the Who and other great rock bands. If anyone out there watches the dvd "Fly Jefferson Airplane", just turn on track 11 and watch "Plastic Fantastic Lover" to see Jorma jamming on fire with riffs that many fans credit with Jimmy Page inventing. Excuse me? Jimmy Page? As great as Page may have been, Jorma's skills and talents are just as equaled if he doesn't surpass Page. And as for the best bass player out there, how could Jack Casady's name not be mentioned as muchs as Entwistle's, John Paul Jones or any other bass player out there. HANDS DOWN!!!!! There's no better bass player ever, and I do mean ever, than Jack. If anyone hasn't seen Jorma and Jack performing lately, I highly recommend seeing them. I was able to catch them here in Austin, Texas at the Cactus Cafe and I was blown away. This was the first time that I had ever seen them and now I'm addicted to the music of Hot Tuna.
Dray7

Postby Box Of Rain on Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:58 pm

I agree that Jorma and Jack are both EXTREMELY underrated, especially Jack.

I think a lot of this has to do with two things:

We live in a bit of a self indulgent generation, where bands like Led Zeppelin and such rule as KING of the "true" music lover. While they're meritorious in their own right, I think bands like the Airplane, Dead, Who, etc. were a little more sincere. However, they didn't have a gimmick, and are sorta lost to the annals of history. For instance, no disrespect to the Doors, they're great, but Jim Morrison was still more of an actor than a singer, more drama than music. And which name do you think comes up more - his or Marty Balin's? Kantner? Slick?

Second point - I think Jorma and Jack are kinda unjustly forgotten (along with Spencer, by the way) because they were the instrumental axis of the Airplane, which were, at least by comparison to say, the Dead (who were great but never really had any distinctive singing) a VERY vocally oriented band. They had not one, not two, but THREE singers (two of whom were REALLY impressive - sorry, Paul, nothin' personal), all three also capable of extremely unique songwriting. This tends to kinda overshadow the people PLAYING those compositions.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, just my thoughts. And all hail Jorma and Jack (and Spencer, may he rest in peace).
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Preachin' to the choir...

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:07 am

I think it's probably just a simple case of their music being overplayed on all the radio stations - too much repetition, and people get numb to it.
Why, just yesterday, I was trying to stick with one radio station - but they played "Serpent of Dreams", like 6 times before it even lunch! So I tried tuning into other stations - and got so frustrated - I mean, how much of "Genesis", "The Other Side of This Life", and "Killing Time in the Crystal City" can anyone take?
Then I started thinking about those really good songs that you never hear... You know, Billy Joel had so many - that "Captain Jack" one is the finest examples of true musical and songwriting talent, but I guess they just don't have it or something...
I really think it would be cool too, if the radio DJs would tell us more about their personal lives - I mean, maybe they did a load of laundry the night before, why not fill us all in on how it came out? And birthday wishes - there must be about 148,963,802 people who have a birthday each day, so why not name them all? I got the time! And PLEASE, don't leave me hangin' on the latest developements that occurred on the "Survivor" TV show - who could even think about music while those poor contestants are risking their very lives for the betterment of mankind!!!!!!
Whoops, I just realized that this rant has nothing to do with the fact that only a handful of people have ever even heard of (or remember) the 2 musicians mentioned above. Way off subject, for sure....
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby dray7 on Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:56 am

I also found it quite interesting that during the viewing of "Fly Jefferson Airplane" Grace Slick was asked what her fondest memories were of the band. And her answer was......."The bass playing of Jack Casady". That says alot considering all of the things that probably would be memorable to Grace and Jack's playin bass stood out among them all.
dray7

Without sarcasm...

Postby jimmie ray on Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:46 am

Jorma is a treat, Jack is an EXPERIENCE!
The first time you are in the presence of Jack Casady playing the bass, it will leave on you an impression that no other musician could possibly match. The fluidness is impecable, and each note seems to reverberate within your own body. And yes, he dares to crank up the volume to levels where a lesser musician might feel conspicuous - but if that's "showing off", then please - LET THE SHOW BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jimmie ray

Want a sample ?

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:11 pm

Is a BIG video..... :roll:

Type this in exactly :
(A klick would do nothing)

ftp://ftp_pub@84.25.136.134

Get the divx player proggie....
Get the hot-tuna.avi.....
Waiting...............it takes time !.....

Then see & listen to Jorma & Jack !....
(a live concert at the Filmore '96)
Chasin'Destiny

Re: Without sarcasm...

Postby freakmeout on Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:42 am

jimmie ray wrote:Jorma is a treat, Jack is an EXPERIENCE!
The first time you are in the presence of Jack Casady playing the bass, it will leave on you an impression that no other musician could possibly match. The fluidness is impecable, and each note seems to reverberate within your own body. And yes, he dares to crank up the volume to levels where a lesser musician might feel conspicuous - but if that's "showing off", then please - LET THE SHOW BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. Yes yes yes. Jack= bassgasmic. Oh boy I made a new word.
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Knock me over...

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:37 am

Hmmmm - yeah, that is a cool expression that could really describe the feeling!
However - him and me both being guys - well, it's a little awkward...
Irregardless, one of the greatest experiences I've had was being just a few feet away from Jack's stack of amps at a recent summer outdoor concert - it was hard to stay on my feet!!!
jimmie ray

Re: Knock me over...

Postby freakmeout on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:34 pm

jimmie ray wrote:However - him and me both being guys - well, it's a little awkward...

:lol: Oh, it's 2005! No it isn't!
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Postby KharmaKreep on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:59 am

like i replied before elsewhere....

John Lee Hooker proclaimed JORMA as the PUREST WHITE BLUES GUITARIST!!!!
I don't know about any of you but that man should be given much credibility.

?!?!?!?OH YEAH.....where the hell do you get to hear Jorma and Jack on the radio all the time..........i guess michigan is the wrong place to be for that to happen. Killing Time In the Crystal City is damn good....have you heard TOO HOT TOO HANDLE........amazing solo acoustic album
bright yellow album with cool artwork of an altered abstract representation of JOrmA by Malles Mejes who also co-wrote some songs.
The albums title song is gut-wrenching!!!!
If you only lived on earth....you'd never see the sun... or the promise of 1,000 other suns that glow beyond here.....and if you care to see the future...look into the eyes of your young dancing children don't be afraid of our ways!!
KharmaKreep

Errr....

Postby jimmie ray on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:50 am

KK - my August post was pure sarcasm - don't know how you missed that?
Maybe I need to use the smily face things??
(Actually, I've observed that sarcasm doesn't go over so well to people who don't know you well - so it's better to refrain)
The songs that I mentioned are among my favorites. But I can't recall ever hearing them on the radio, or having the average person know what they are. I do happen to own "Too Hot to Handle", and have seen Jorma solo many times.
The point that I was trying to make was how the radio stations waste our time - but there are other choices, so I should really blame myself for not tuning out.
jimmie ray

Postby Steve on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:38 pm

Anyone who is a fan of Jorma's acoustic style needs to pick up Kelly Joe Phelps' CD "Lead Me on". Outstanding fingerpicking blues & vocals.
Last edited by Steve on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Blues covers...

Postby jimmie ray on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:16 pm

It always helps me get into someone new when they cover some familiar songs - I see this fellow does Rev. Gary Davis and Blind Willie tunes.
There sure were alot of blind black bluesman, back in the day!
When I saw "Jesus Make up my Dying Bed" listed, I thought - well, that must be the "True Religion" song from Hot Tuna's Burgers. Actually, it is better known as "In my Time of Dying" from Led Zep's Physical Graffiti!
Steve - how did you become familiar with Kelly Joe Phelps, do you go to his shows?
jimmie ray

Spare Change?

Postby moldymind on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:04 pm

i once saw Jorma jam with Carlos Santana, now don't get me wrong, i love Carlos' playing, always have, but on this afternoon in the park, Carlos was doing all he could to keep up; Jorma was just liquid light, tearing off inspired runs and burning bright, he was the master, nobody played psychedelic guitar leads like Jorma.
moldymind

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions