rejoyce

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Postby troebuck on Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:59 am

Oh, and speaking of playing the organ... Look at Marty in the clip of "White Rabbit"from the Smothers Brothers appearance.

Despite the fact that there is no keyboard in that song, they have him sitting behind one.

I guess so he could be on TV with "his" band?
Tad
troebuck

Postby Box Of Rain on Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:07 pm

I always wondered about that. I think seeing him there is when I realized the performance wasn't really live, except for Grace's vocal, I think. She sounds a little different than on the album version.

I never knew that was Grace on "Hey Frederick". That's pretty interesting to know.

By the way, can anybody tell me exactly what "Block Chord" means? I've played piano a lot, but I've never heard that exact term used...
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Postby troebuck on Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:00 pm

Box of Rain writes...
<< I realized the performance wasn't really live, except for Grace's vocal, I think. She sounds a little different than on the album version. >>

Both WR and STL on the Smo Bro Show had live vocals to the backing track...

<< By the way, can anybody tell me exactly what "Block Chord" means? I've played piano a lot, but I've never heard that exact term used... >>

I can't describe it without using musical language that I have only a very tentative grasp on... But in his liner notes to "Baron Von Tollbooth," Jeff Tamarkin perhaps best described it as the sound of a piano as a percussive instrument. At least, that's the way Grace would tend to use it in songs like "Silver Spoon" or "Hey Fredrick."

Grace may have been known as a singer, but I think her style of piano playing is among the most distinctive in rock and roll.
Tad
troebuck

Postby nickwishkah on Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:22 am

A block chord is that really punchy "bam.... bam... bam..." kind of thing. I don't think it's a terribly musical term but it may well be...

Nick
nickwishkah

Postby Box Of Rain on Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:24 am

I got cha. I love that banging sound. I always imagined the term "block chord" referred to the way it was fingered or something, like the actual keys. The only way I've ever learned to form chords was triads (you know, the little spread 3 fingers and see how it sounds thing)

I think Grace may or may not have picked up a lot of her piano style from Bob Dylan, but she took it further. I think she's definitely one of the best rock n roll pianists in a band (especially as far as girl vocalists go - she puts Christine McVie to shame). But that BANG BANG thing... Bobby does something very like it on "Ballad Of A Thin Man" and especially "Dear Landlord".
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Re: rejoyce

Postby Baxter on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Sorry for bumping an older topic, but speaking of what Grace Slick was playing on "Comin' Back To Me" - is it definitely a Recorder?

Also, when it comes to "Rejoyce", on After Bathing At Baxter's, is it not a transverse flute at the end? The instrument coming in at 3:40 minutes into the song? It does sound more like a transverse flute to me, than a clarinet.

If anyone could shed some light on this, and speculate further.
Baxter

Re: rejoyce

Postby MilkTrain on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:31 pm

I love Grace's piano playing, it is easily as entertaining as her voice. Dont knock Christine McVie :shock: her playing on many songs was wonderful, esp the organ on "Sugar Daddy", one of her most overlooked but best tracks with F.M
MilkTrain

Previous

Return to Open Forums