How can you play like Jorma?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

How can you play like Jorma?

Postby woodensaucers on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:41 pm

I haven't been able to find ANY good tabs on Jorma's play in songs like "Have You Seen The Saucers" and "Wooden Ships", which have the my favorite psychedelic guitar licks... I can't really play the guitar so when someone tell's me it's in so-and-so scale in so-and-so tuning I usually have a pretty hard time figuring out which frets and strings to use, and I wonder, why hasn't anyone tabbed out these AMAZING bits of music? I have only been able to find chords, and even those don't sound ANYTHING like the ones on the tape (the version I have is live and sounds fantastic).

So even though nobody here's going to be kind enough to send me tabs or anything like that, could someone give me a clue towards what I should do to improve my playing so that I can sound better? I currently own a Squier stratocaster and a Line-6 amplifier, so I'm pretty much limited to that equipment - I don't know what the settings should be like but I think the playing bit is my real problem.

Thanks all!
woodensaucers

Re: How can you play like Jorma?

Postby redrabid on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:47 pm

No answers from guitarists, yet. But maybe I, a former drummer, can give you some advice.
You know very well what your problem is: You want to sound like Jorma Kaukonen but you don't play the guitar well.
Before even thinking of playing like Jorma you have to master more than just the basic techniques of your instrument. It took Jorma, who was a gifted acoustic guitar player before he joined JA in 1965, more than 3 years to become that dazzling electric guitarist. You can hear his progress on JA albums clearly.
So there is work to be done for you: Start taking lessons . And practice. A lot.
Jorma's Fur Peace Station offers on-line lessons. It will cost you of course. Not only money, but also time and effort. It will be a long road and there are no short-cuts.
Blood, sweat and tears.
redrabid

Postby kswaby10 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:01 pm

It's gonna take a lot of work, time and practice bro. Those guys are pros.

car games fishing games zombie games typing games ninja games amazon coupons iphone cases
kswaby10

Postby Malster on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:20 am

Its not easy it takes a lot of time.
Take a lot of practice then you can.
Malster

Postby woodensaucers on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:30 pm

What about the music and the tabs? How can I practice playing like him when I don't even know what notes he's hitting!
woodensaucers

Postby woodensaucers on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Those links are of no help, I've got those in my browser history since the day I had my first amplifier!
woodensaucers

Postby Ensign on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:51 pm

I don't know, it may be a lost cause... I know of a bunch of people who can sound like Garcia, but no one who can sound like Jorma on electric guitar. I play guitar and bass and I make it a point to NOT copy anybody's style. I have my influences, for sure, but I won't intentionally copy.
That said, you could take lessons from somebody that knows how to play fingerstyle. Your Squier and Line 6 are not your limiting issues... and won't be, until you already know how and what to play and then you can refine the tone to sound more like JK. But it's gonna be a long arduous process and if you eventually succeed you will be left with sounding like somebody else.
When interviewing a potential teacher tell them exactly what you want and let them tell you if they can show you what you want.
Ensign

Postby alexx23 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:11 pm

You have to study a lot..and more Rev. Gary Davis
Jorma's playing has a lot to do with it.
alexx23

Postby Jorma Head on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:55 pm

woodensaucers,
fact is there are extremely limited tabs for Jorma. And 99% of what is out there, is incorrect.
You will notice at the top of the tab it says; this is the AUTHORS interpretation (even if they state it is correct it almost NEVER sounds like Jormas recordings.)
That said; there is quite a bit of stuff you can find on youtube. Most stuff is for acoustic songs.
But there are a lot of ppl that at least play the song very close and you can get the picking idea and/or the chordings.
In case you are not aware of Jormas style of play, he almost never uses a flat pick on any guitar.
He uses a thumb pick and two finger picks (yes he only uses his thumb and 2 fingers to get all that sound :D )
So if you don't already, start learning to finger pick (flat picking Jorma only got me frustrated).
Jorma also uses "alternate guitar tunings".
"The WATER SONG" for instance is played in Open G tuning.
Many of his songs are done in drop D (i believe "Embryonic Journey" is in Drop D)
(speaking of The Water Song -- someone posted it on youtube a while ago - It is Jorma teaching you from his dvd and is pretty easy to get the chordings and picking)
Best advice if you really want to learn to play like Jorma is to spend some cash and buy his DVDs.
I have 2 so far and they are VERY helpful.
Not sure if this thread is still watched or not.
If i can help more (chords, tunings, tips etc..) please post.
Jorma Head

Postby Princess Aiko on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:09 pm

You hire Barry Mitterhof and have him take all the hard leads
"now let the free men come through"
Princess Aiko

Postby Ensign on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Oooh, a good one, there, Princess. (rim shot, please).
There are two other suggestions: take a class at Fur Peace Ranch from Jorma or from Marjorie Thompson, his teaching assistant. Two: Take some lessons from the online site Breakdown Way.
Ensign

Return to Open Forums