Grace in Germany 1978?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Grace in Germany 1978?

Postby GoAskAlice76 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:35 pm

Has any audio or more video of the Frankfurt Germany 1978 show turned up? I saw a clip on VH1 with a very drunk Grace slick taunting the audience.
GoAskAlice76

Re: Grace in Germany 1978?

Postby redrabid on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:34 am

Again and again this question pops up on this forum. Thankfully, no answers. It seems there is nothing to be found to satisfy this morbid curiostity. Cherish your memories. Respect the one you say you love.
redrabid

Postby GoAskAlice76 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:01 am

Didn't mean to cause an upset. I was reading about it and was curious if it was as bad as it's made out to be. I have huge respect for Grace and love her work.
GoAskAlice76

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:26 am

No, there's nothing wrong with asking, and Gracie herself talks about it really often. Remember she never really cared about the scandals she made and she loves talking about her wild times, whe was interviewed by VH1 to talk about this very incident and she has the same attitude as always. I found the footage and shared it with everyone in this blog, just look around the blog, or look at my posts and you'll find it. It's the whole live performance and it has a respectable sound quality. It isn't as messy as you think, all songs are preformed entirely (though some sources say she REFUSED to sing the songs the way she was suposed to), some are crappy, like Somebody To Love, and she only makes some remarks about the war on Wooden Ships when she sings her line "Can you tell me please, who won?" she starts asking "WHO WON THE WARRR?" but nothing too bad. In the end the audience even asks for an encore. Unfortunately that's only the audio footage and there ain't no video footage available, though the VH1 documentary shows some parts of it. Bettery Lyin' Down is also fun to listen to, specially since Grace states she wishes she had a penis (something she talked about really often, like on a early version of "You Wear Your Dresses Too Short"live, where she asks the audience if they want to see HER cock and the audience lols).

I don't know why so many people on this blog think it's offensive or disrispectful to share this performance, I think they exagerate. I love the JA/JS live performances and I think if any fan is intrested in it, should be free to ask for it. I'll share it (and any other live performances) with whomever asks me to as I've done before.

Enjoy the concert!
CookOfTheHouse

Postby redrabid on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:50 am

Why do I think that this curiosity stinks?
It smells like the gutter, because it is not the music you're after.
redrabid

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:37 pm

redrabid wrote:Why do I think that this curiosity stinks?
It smells like the gutter, because it is not the music you're after.

It was actually because of the music that I reached this live performance. I was looking for live versions of "Count On Me" and "Runaway" and I found out the only available concert where they performed it was in this Germany concert and then, after listening to it I noticed how hard they were playing, almost violent and then I heard the Gracie comments and then I found out it was the infamous Germany performance! You can like it musically too, not only because of the scandal (which isn't really that much of a scandal) but it's a very weird Jefferson Starship performance, really heavy, dark.
CookOfTheHouse

Postby Egg Crisis on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:35 am

Well I for one would like to see it, simply because there isn't any other videos existing from this period (there's not a lot from the entire decade!), and it's professionally filmed (German TV) rather than some amateur thing, and I've heard audio of the concert and there's plenty of parts that aren't bad.
Egg Crisis

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions