Lou Reed On Grace Slick

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Lou Reed On Grace Slick

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:03 pm

Other than the Airplane, I'm also a big fan of The Velvet Underground & Nico (yes, only with Nico), but I found some statements Lou Reed said in the sixties, can anyone explain why he sais this things about The Airplane, Grace and the Dead?

"People like Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, are the most untalented bores that ever came up. Just look at them physically. I mean, can you take Grace Slick seriously?”

WTF!!
CookOfTheHouse

Re: Lou Reed On Grace Slick

Postby MilkTrain on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:06 am

Classic East Coast/West Coast rivalry.
In my mind they both wrote and sang songs that were very similar, drugs, sex etc.
Grace probably thought that the V.U were a bunch of dipsh%*ts too :D
MilkTrain

Postby PrayForPlagues on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:26 pm

The Underground were the type of people you will always have around. The kind of people who are opposed to anything that's popular- in order to make themselves popular! Ha. I know that they felt that bands like the Airplane were distorting music- which is a big part of the punk music idea. They all felt that bands like the Airplane were making music so complex that everyday people were becoming alienated from it. But strangely, the Airplane always had a very hard edge to them, even to what I would call proto-punk. I mean, the lyrics 'we are forces of chaos and anarchy, everything they say we are we are' from Volunteers are TOTALLY something that the Sex Pistols would also have in a song (and pretty much do!)
That being said, though, I am a huge fan of The Velvet Underground. They're one of my favorite bands ever.
But... listen to Velvet songs like 'The Gift'. Sounds like an Airplane jam to me- the super heavy bass, and the guitars. Now what did the Airplane think about the Underground? :?:
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby psychy on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:57 am

Artists and bands like The Beatles have a long history of unworthy comments on fellow artists of their time.....I wouldn't care too much on what Lou said. I don't think he would say the same thing today....back to the future??!:):) :mrgreen:
Imageù
psychy

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions