Jorma's Equipment

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Jorma's Equipment

Postby svensson on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:21 am

Hi, new on here but a long time fan. Hopefully I am not repeating someone's else past question, but I figure there must be a few guitar geeks on here also......So, does anyone know what amp(s) and pedals Jorma used back inthe 67-69 period?
I know he played a Gibson ES345 and the wah pedal is obvious, my guess is that it was a Vox and since they invented them in about 1967 there weren't a whole lot of competitor versions out there. Anyone else have any info on his equipment? I'd ask the man himself but I don't see where either of his sites accepts any "Contact Us" kinds of queries. John
svensson

Re: Jorma's Equipment

Postby PrayForPlagues on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:58 pm

Jack also played the first Alembic bass on Long John Silver and during their final tour, and maybe during the BARK sessions.
Jorma's guitar at Woodstock and Go Ride the Music (the black one) has the Gibson-355 logo on the headstock. I do think his red one was a 345, though. Both were stereo in any case.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby svensson on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:32 am

Thanks for the replies.....I actually have the 1997 issue of Guitar Player where it is stated that he used the Cry Baby and Ampeg Scrambler, but I'm a little sceptical because it sounds on studio recordings at least like he is using a fuzz, not just overdriven amp on some songs, but the Scrambler did not come out until 1969! So maybe he had that in use at Woodstock, but for recording Baxter's? I don't think so. Anyway, not a burning question, I'm a garage guitarist and like to try to replicate tones with the original equipment. Now I have to go track down the 4 live concert CD's recently released.
As an aside, I was a little late/young to see them live in the Airplane days, but have attended Starship concerts in 1974/75?-Spitfire tour in Miami, 78- Earth tour Cleveland and about 1994- Deep Space tour at Valley Forge.
John
svensson

Postby PrayForPlagues on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:07 am

Yeah, and Jorma also played a Stratocaster during the recording sessions for Volunteers- maybe not all the songs, but I know he did for 'We Can Be Together' at least. I don't know what fuzz he used pre-1969- it's something I want to know! It ranged from light to super fuzzed out (think the Fillmore 1968 live CD) but I remember reading somewhere Paul used some sort of 'Gibson Maestro fuzz'.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby Ensign on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Yes, J.K. used to use Fender Twins; and sometimes more than just two at a time! And Twins are LOUD!!!!!
Currently he uses Louis Electric amps and Hermida Audio pedals for electric shows.
Ensign

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions