What's Your Favourite JA Live performance and why?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

What's Your Favourite JA Live performance and why?

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:31 am

I think there ain't a band with more available live performances recorded! I used to be a big fan of both Wings and Doors but none of them had as many available stuff as the airplane! And JA IS really something when performing live. So, what's your favourite performance and why? It might be because one song is performed in a special way, or because a comment someone makes or anything!

My favourite would be the performance of September 9, 1966, because Signe Anderson is on almost every track, even on Don't Slip Away and it also includes the very first version of 3/5 Of A Mile In 10 Seconds and one of the last tracks is Chauffeur Blues and Signe belts it out as if it was her last day on earth and it's amazing!

Anotherone would be their October 14, 1967 performance, 'cause White Rabbit is good but It's No Secret is amazing... by far their best performance of this song live, even better than the ones on Bless Its Pointed Little Head or Live At The Fillmore East releases. It sounds just as if Marty and Gracie were having this huge fight on stage, each one trying to overshadow the other, and it souns very powerfull, very full of energy.
CookOfTheHouse

Re: What's Your Favourite JA Live performance and why?

Postby doho on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:09 am

Well the only concert I saw JA perform was at Woodstock... and I was far away on the hillside, not inside the concert area. It was very difficult to hear the music - couldn't make out very much but I could remember Grace Slick's voice singing the Voluteers song. Her voice resonated above everything else that was going on... So, many decades later I listen periodically to the Youtube videos of JA at Woodstock and I'm gripped, amazed, hypnotized by it. WOW!!!
doho

Postby usedtobebabson on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:34 am

Would be Tanglewood, Mass, August 12th 1969, 4 days before Woodstock, because I was there, snuck into the press area and was right in front of Grace.

In later years '77 my son was born on August 12th, and that is also the birthday of a long lost love :)
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby graceslick on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:57 am

Wow, you were right in front of Grace when she sang 4 days before Woodstock? Cool man...was she really good? Did she say anything? She sometimes talks a bit on stage...*drool and swoon* lol
graceslick

Postby usedtobebabson on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:02 pm

I had smoked some hash and was pretty high. I was just going to get a coke with my girlfriend, and my stoned eyes drifted to the ground, and saw two blue buttons with the word "press" on them. So I picked them up and gave one to my GF and we nonchalantly walked past all the security guards. I was about 10 feet from the stage, just to the left of Grace. As I was looking at them she was the closest one to me. There was no one in front of us at all. No one between us and the band. The WHO came on first who I had never seen. It was wild. The airplane came on, and started with somebody to love. I kissed my GF through most of the song. When I finally came up for air and looked at Grace, her eyes were boring right into me. It was almost like she was warning me. I looked around and the whole press area was looking at us. That kiss drew too much attention. I needed another toke anyways, so I figured, they'd be coming to get us in another second, so started slowly walking back out of the press area. When I got in front of the guards I stopped, turned toward the band, and flashed the airplane the peace sign way over my head. Moseyed back to the blanket in the regular crowd, had that toke, and we made love under the blanket to rest of the airplane songs :D The reason I kissed her in front of the band was I was drafted and had 3 weeks until boot camp, so I really didn't give a fuck. I couldn't imagine what they could do to me that was worse than the draft :evil:
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby MilkTrain on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:39 am

"Turn Down The Lights"
I would have loved to be there when they asked for the lights to be lowered.Especially if it was just before "Bear Melt"
I also really like everything on the Winterland album, esp "When The Earth Moves Again" Love the majestic sound of the airplane cranking up. Or lovely Grace wailing away at the end of "Milk Train"
MilkTrain

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions