Voodoo Chile and Voodoo Child

Thoughts and memories from longtime Jefferson Airplane Manager Bill Thompson

Voodoo Chile and Voodoo Child

Postby FirstBassman on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:36 pm

Since Roman asked that there be no more posts on that other thread, I've deiced to start a new one to focus on this one small point.

Yes, Bill T made a small mistake when he wrote that Casady played on the cut “Voodoo Child.” The 15-minute or so jam on the double Electric Ladyland LP is named “Voodoo Chile.”

Adding to the confusion is the fact that when “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)” was released as a single, it was actually named “Voodoo Chile.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_Chi ... ght_Return)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_Chile

As a side note, Jack told me he only remembers one take when, in fact, there were three takes. (I later game him a recording of all the takes.)

One of the takes (I forget which) has appeared on other CDs.
FirstBassman

Re: Voodoo Chile and Voodoo Child

Postby DonRico1967 on Fri May 08, 2009 9:03 pm

They played the song through three times-- first as an instrumental jam, then a version with Jimi singing and last the ELECTRIC LADYLAND version... All recorded in the early late morning hours with Jack Casady and also Steve Winwood playing Hammond organ after a night of jamming at Steve Paul's The Scene and took it to The Record Plant.
This version on most releases is called "Voodoo Child".

The other version called "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" ends the ELECTRIC LADYLAND album features The Experience, Noel and Mitch. Allegedly an ABC-TV crew filmed it-- Just what I read somewhere...
They often played it live in concert.
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby VanceWhittum on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:59 am

Was Voodoo Chile just a spelling mistake? Like they thought oh crap, fire the guy who created the cd cover. :D
Have you ever think about the satellite direct pesticides fat burning furnace options? Incredibly more a number of seo tips last week just wouldn't enjoy on the eat stop eat program.
Last edited by VanceWhittum on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
VanceWhittum

Postby Jnnfranke on Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:16 am

They played the song through three times-- first as an instrumental jam, then a version with Jimi singing and last the ELECTRIC LADYLAND version... All recorded in the early late morning hours with Jack Casady and also Steve Winwood playing Hammond organ after a night of jamming at Steve Paul's The Scene and took it to The Record Plant.
This version on most releases is called "Voodoo Child".
I've heard it first time on my FM-channel.

Postby psychy on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Interesting read here :)
Imageù
psychy

Return to Bill's Blog