Searching for a song ** Help appreciated**

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Searching for a song ** Help appreciated**

Postby manuelsdottir on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi, there's this JA song that I've had in my head for quite a while, seems from around the time of Surrealistic Pillow, but I'm not sure. I've never heard the lyrics properly, so I can't google them :P
Grace is only heard in the refrain, which goes in like couplets, two verses at a time, then the organ break, another two verses, more organ, while the other voice sings most of the song, and the chorus is an organ riff. Sort of.
Very upbeat, very psichedelic, and very infectious. Around 2 minutes long, probably.

The thing is, the song's quite well known, at least quite often played )(not like Somebody to love but almost), but I've NEVER heard it on any of their lps!! Maybe a bside or a new song in a compilation? I'm going crazy!

Help! Thanks!!
manuelsdottir

Re: Searching for a song ** Help appreciated**

Postby PrayForPlagues on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:38 pm

Um, perhaps 'Turn My life Down'? That's the only one I can think of with a stand-out organ part. But Ace of Cups did the back up vocals on that.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby manuelsdottir on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:22 am

PrayForPlagues wrote:Um, perhaps 'Turn My life Down'? That's the only one I can think of with a stand-out organ part. But Ace of Cups did the back up vocals on that.

Thanks, although, no, it's not that one. The one I'm talking about is a quite upbeat psychedelic thing, very 1968, I'd say.
Maybe it's not a JA song but a collaboration with someone else, but it's definitely Grace and the other guy singing.

I wish I'd find it, it's driving me mad :(
manuelsdottir

Postby redrabid on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Organ? An organ break? This makes me think that your memory is betraying you. Grace played keyboards in a few songs for about a year or so after joining JA (she stopped playing because "it clogged the sound"), but only as a supportive instrument. If it is not on an studio album it cannot be an studio recording (I include Early Flight and JA Loves You and such), as all studio recordings with Grace singing or playing have been released. And I doubt if it is an live recording.
So maybe you haven't checked all JA albums, or there is no prominent organ (at first I thought you might be looking for "Go To Her", it's up tempo and a "Surrealistic Pillow" outtake). Or it is is not JA (The Great Society perhaps ?) or Grace at all. There were lot's of bands aiming for that JA sound (and the free publicity that a female leadsinger could attract). It could be "Venus" by Shocking Blue you are looking for.
Or JA's "High Flying Bird", a song they played a lot (Listen to Monterey-recordings for an excellent version). No organ though.
redrabid

Postby manuelsdottir on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:34 am

What??? Venus? Are you crazy?! :D

No... it's definitely early JA. It's definitely an organ and I could swear it's Grace. She's unmistakeble.
manuelsdottir

Postby PrayForPlagues on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:33 pm

No clue what it could be, as the Airplane rarely used any keyboards in their music (besides the piano of course).
Let's see..
There's an organ sounding keyboard in 'Young Girl Sunday Blues', but Grace doesn't sing on that one.
'Two Heads' is Grace, and very psychedelic but the keyboard instrument is a harpsichord, not an organ. Maybe that one?
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby woodensaucers on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:19 pm

upbeat and 2 minutes long I would've guessed Volunteers since you said it's kind of popular (it's on the best of) but it doesn't really cohere with the rest of the description...
woodensaucers

Postby alexx23 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:28 pm

For what it's worth, I think that the song you're searching for is "Would You Like a Snack?", a Slick/Zappa composition that is a bonus track on the "Crown of Creation" cd
alexx23

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions