what do you think of this quote?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

what do you think of this quote?

Postby oldblue on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:52 am

it's often attributed to sinclair lewis: “When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.”

is it relevant? what would berzelius windrip think?

i always liked this one from herman goering:

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

--at the Nuremberg Trials
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Re: what do you think of this quote?

Postby oldblue on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:36 pm

sun god
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:37 pm

You'd hope in a democracy that starting a war would cause the culprits to lose office. But if things go well, a lacklustre leader can be painted a hero, and if things go badly, well, we wouldn't want to change horses in midstream, would we?

My favourite badguy quote: "You kill children, then wonder why your children want to kill you."
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby usedtobebabson on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:48 am

I like the quote Blue! America is loosing it's separation of Church and State. Nationalism is what enabled Hồ Chí Minh to win in Vietnam. I always say America means Freedom FROM Religion. Nobody gets it.
I much prefer E pluribus unum (one from many) to One nation under God.

So yes, Nationalism and God are the 2 tools used to rally the troops for war. Throw in some mumble jumbo about freedom, liberty and justice and the people will all say "who do you want me to kill?"
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby redrabid on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:38 am

Do you really see fascism coming to America? Fascism implies a strong state. The american right seems to be intent on dissolving the state, in an attempt to recreate the legendary Wild, Wild West.
Last edited by redrabid on Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrabid

Postby oldblue on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:52 pm

JohnBSails wrote:god, america, war, guns, obama, moslim, god, america, war, guns, war,
god, america, war, guns, obama, moslim, god, america, war, guns, war,

thanx makes my " Proud To Be Dutch " even more stronger !
......and my love for Germany to !

Just to let you know, Adolf Hitler and his friends did a LOT of good things for the
German economy before he did start WW2. Volks Wagen is part of his idea to have
a car for every one in Germany, VW = Volkswagen = Car for the people. The Beetle !
The German autobahn did get better then ever because of Adolf Hitler etc etc.

The story of VW (Volkswagen) ;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen

yes those panzer divisions looked pretty good rolling down the autobahn; sorry but there is no defense possible for hitler. preparing for war can help any economy
oldblue

Postby usedtobebabson on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:07 am

I thought the Wild Wild West stuff, and internet spying like on what everyone googles for were Bush isms. Did Obama continue these policies also? Don't know.
No one who grew up in the computer industry in America stakes any claims to the computer or internet. Although Gates did steal DOS from Seattle computer (small company), then buried them in their lawsuit of usoft and the internet did come from DARPA (the Government funded project), though I'm not sure what country Mosaic came from, as it was the firewall proxying browser or web surfer that really opened up the internet. In general people from all over the world were involved.
As for Facism, I thought that was where you couldn't get a job unless it was for the Government. Police, military, administration, government employee, computer admin, turning in yer neighbor, etc. You're other choice would be the bread line. Longhairs need not apply...
usedtobebabson

Postby redrabid on Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Don't you think, like I do, OB, that this topic needs an excorsist?
I only know one spell. It is supposed to cure horses of worms. Somehow I find that very appropiate. So let me try it:
"Gang ut, nesso, gang ut".
redrabid

Postby redrabid on Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:34 pm

As you see, OB, the spell doesn't work. It was to be expected of course. In order to be able to expel an evil you have to know its true name (as an old fairytale "Rumpelstilchen" learns us). Do you, or anyone else out there, have any suggestions what it might be?
redrabid

Postby redrabid on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:04 pm

Do you believe in predestination, OB?
If its true name is "hare", maybe one of us is "hunter".
redrabid

Postby Susan Butcher on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Of course we're being spied on here. It's all part of the deal, much as I hate it. We're a commercial resource; like television, that's why we get the service almost free. Nothing to do with authoritarian government, though they do their share of spying, too.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby nicktecky on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:09 pm

RR:
You asked for a name:
Indifference and its prerequisite, ignorance.
The West has about 20 or so years of global hegemony left, then natural forces will take over and the Eurasian powers will assert their dominance. Russia, China and India (with a little Japan on the side). Once these powers have established their natural pre-eminence, the age of democracy will be over as a a global influence.
The question for us in the West is: what next? The price of freedom is perpetual vigilance, and it is now clear that the citizens of the West are not prepared to expend either the finance (through their taxes) or the time (through democratic engagement) to buy that freedom.
My own feeling is the the citizens of the West will get used to being secondary players in the world drama. Who knows, we may get to quite like it!
That's not to say that the politicians may have wiped us all out in the meantime!
nicktecky

Postby nicktecky on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:10 pm

RR:
You asked for a name:
Indifference and its prerequisite, ignorance.
The West has about 20 or so years of global hegemony left, then natural forces will take over and the Eurasian powers will assert their dominance. Russia, China and India (with a little Japan on the side). Once these powers have established their natural pre-eminence, the age of democracy will be over as a a global influence.
The question for us in the West is: what next? The price of freedom is perpetual vigilance, and it is now clear that the citizens of the West are not prepared to expend either the finance (through their taxes) or the time (through democratic engagement) to buy that freedom.
My own feeling is the the citizens of the West will get used to being secondary players in the world drama. Who knows, we may get to quite like it!
That's not to say that the politicians may have wiped us all out in the meantime!
nicktecky

Postby usedtobebabson on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:21 am

I'm pretty good at predicting the past, if anybody's interested :P
usedtobebabson

Next

Return to Open Forums