anyone heard the new live cd's yet?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

anyone heard the new live cd's yet?

Postby oldblue on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:22 pm

well have ya?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Re: anyone heard the new live cd's yet?

Postby PrayForPlagues on Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:44 pm

Nope. I am probably gonna order one or two from amazon soon. Im most interested in "return to the matrix" :)
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby oldblue on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:50 pm

PrayForPlagues wrote:Nope. I am probably gonna order one or two from amazon soon. Im most interested in "return to the matrix" :)

so far the one with signe is the best
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:30 pm

My birthday is in two days and I'm hoping my mom will get me Signe's Last... I think that's my favourite live performance by the airplane... Signe's line on Go to Her is amazingly powerfull and Chauffeur Blues is as good as ever. 3/5ths is also great with Signe on backing vocals! I can't wait to hear the "Goodbye To Signe" tracks!!
CookOfTheHouse

Postby Jerald on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:43 am

How do they sound in comparison to the flac file versions available through Wolfgang's Vault?
Jerald

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Some of the "Signe's Last" tracks have a really bad quality, at least on my version, you can hear the LP crack... like a constant "tack, tack, tack" as if the LP was in a bad condition or something like that. And I have never been able to find a version of this which includes "The Midnight Hour" and both "Goodbye To Signe" tracks, which are the most important thing on this album!
CookOfTheHouse

Postby JoeD80 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:30 pm

PrayForPlagues wrote:Nope. I am probably gonna order one or two from amazon soon. Im most interested in "return to the matrix" :)

I think that one is pretty good. Interesting to hear Jorma's Kansas City Blues and an early version of Ice Cream Phoenix as just an instrumental before any lyrics were added (Paul suggests to the audience that they add in their own).

Jerald wrote:How do they sound in comparison to the flac file versions available through Wolfgang's Vault?

I haven't listened to the CDs to compare, but I was under the impression that the CDs contained the same versions as Wolfgang's.
JoeD80

Postby Egg Crisis on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:25 pm

CookOfTheHouse wrote:Some of the "Signe's Last" tracks have a really bad quality, at least on my version, you can hear the LP crack... like a constant "tack, tack, tack" as if the LP was in a bad condition or something like that.!

I assume you're talking about the incomplete bootleg version that's been around for a few years. I had a copy of that and it was full of digital glitches. The version on Wolfgang's is good quality and without the glitches.

Has anyone here bought any flac files from Wolfgang's? I'm curious to know if they're genuine lossless or simply a conversion of the 96kbps mp3's.

Also has anyone who has any of the new live cd's checked them to see if they're genuine lossless. The reason I ask is that the Charly CD of the last JA gig was just a copy of the Wolfgang's 96kbps stream!
Egg Crisis

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:19 pm

I think no one can really tell about the quality of this new material, since it's gonna be released in October 23 or 26, I can't remember well. We'll just have to wait for about two weeks and then we'll know!
CookOfTheHouse

Postby Shemp65 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:11 am

I have finally gotten them all in from Amazon. For some strange reason, they kept getting delayed. I'm a new JA fan -- they've kind of always been on the fringe for me, and I've seen KBC, Starship, and Jefferson Starship play throughout the years here in the Bay Area, but have never been a fanatic until the last couple of years when I've realized that the musicianship (mainly the guitar playing) is simply amazing.

These CDs are giving me a really good introduction to the evolution of the band, and their journey from one phase to the next. I'm playing the CDs on a fairly high-end system with really nice Denon cans on, and the sound is amazing. On the Signe's Farewell disc the opening "Jam" is simply mind-blowing. Jorma's guitar playing is what is attracting me to this band now, and he really shines on this track. It really is 9 minutes of pure blues/folksy guitar bliss.

Balin's voice was great with Signe's, but there definitely is a similarity to what Grace was to bring.

I haven't played "We Have Ignition" yet, but I've got it queued up next.

I am glad that I'm discovering such a fantastic band after thinking they were just a marginal "psychedelic" band all these years. I now want to seek out all of Jorma's work post-JA as well.
Shemp65

Postby alexx23 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:18 pm

Bought "We have Ignition" 11/25/66 and 11/27/66 just yesterday (together with the new "Dust Bowl" from Bonamassa, I gotta say), a very nice double cd, worth the money
alexx23

Postby psychy on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Soon will :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Imageù
psychy

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:20 pm

Finally got Signe's Farewell!! It's an amazing sound quality, nothing to do with the incomplete bootleg previously released!

Best tracks:
- Go To Her - As much as I love Grace, Signe belted her line like there was no tomorrow.
- In The Midnoght Hour - Unfortunately cuts in late but, man, Marty was the shit those days!
- Chauffeur Blues - No need to explain why, it's just the most important track on the album!

Funny facts:
when they start performing "Come Up The Years" you can hear the audience go "ooohhh... :)"
CookOfTheHouse

Postby psychy on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:39 pm

I wouldn't knock Grace in favour of Signe...as much I love Signe's voice 2:):):)
Imageù
psychy

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions