Jefferson Airplane's cd grom the year 1989?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Jefferson Airplane's cd grom the year 1989?

Postby Guest on Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:34 pm

Hey everybody.
I live in Finland and find Jefferson Airplane very good band. Grace Slick has so fantastic voice...

Anyhow, I found from the library of my town one Jefferson Airplane's CD. Its name is "Jefferson Airplane" (from the year 1989) and it includes for example songs "Panda", "Freedom", "Common Market Madrigal" and "True love".
My problem is, that I can't find this CD anywhere! So, what's the mystery of this CD?

Postby Don Rico on Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:17 pm

No real mystery there, brother...

The self-titled "JEFFERSON AIRPLANE" from 1989 is what ya call a "reunion" album... You see, those guys had broken up years before and played in various conglomerations and splinter-groups and side-projects...

Then they got back together (everybody except Spencer) and did a record and a tour...

From what I have heard, some of those 1989 shows were pretty hot...

Unfortunately, the record is kinda weak... Not a lot of passion, as compared to the earlier efforts from days gone by...

Furthermore, I have read that most of the album was recorded separately by each musician over-dubbing and multi-tracking... Often they were not even in the same studio...

Seems they really just could not stand working together again on a musical level...

:roll:
Don Rico

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:59 am

Hey, thank you a lot for your help!
It's much clearlier to me now. Maybe I just need to try find this CD somewhere...

And it's true, that those songs in this CD haven't so much passion as JA's earlier songs in other CDs, but anyhow, they're still good and myself, I enjoy of listening to them.

So, what I wanna say, is just: thank you.

Postby jonestown on Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:51 pm

Hey guest, send me a pm with your address and I'll turn you on to some live JA. M
man oh man oh friend of mine
jonestown

Postby pop-skull on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:05 pm

The only thing that really bothers me about this album is the production techniques......that annoying shotgun drum sound so previlent in the late 80's.

I think the songwriting is rather strong.......Planes is a very catchy number, as is Madeleine Street.

Jorma electrifies some songs from Too Hot to Handle

Marty and Graces ballads even out the selections.......Summer of Love even saw some airplay.

I saw 4 shows from this tour and loved every one.

Friction between band members has always been a trademark of the airplane. Everyone contributes and gives the spark that makes this band so great!

cheers- Mike
pop-skull

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions