reactions please

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: reactions please

Postby usedtobebabson on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:07 am

There's the error. Weed alone won't do it... Has to be some other free will unity. Cool to be Hip was the ticket...So what if we can save a triple amputee nowadays. I would have rather done without the war, than have that technology. So with technology we can differentiate between smart bombs and new weapons and war driven medical advancements, vs. cell phones and word processors and computers. Not to mention the socially crippled, Carpal tunnel challenged young folks on the street today.

And the "romance" was very real! I wouldn't say "no fights" but they went from 95% fights, to less than 5% fights, or no fights if you were lucky. Now don't get me wrong, I loved to drink and fight as much as the next person. It became Cool to be Hip though, and we all changed - really and for real, not a romance! For sure, truly, really really happened:)

And on a very very large scale - like almost ALL of society...In all the US states, and overseas to!
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby usedtobebabson on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:41 am

And you have the US all wrong. They prefer violence and gangs and hard drugs on the street. They are terrified of "Peace" because they unify and make all their money by war. They don't know how to unify and make money with Peace...Just Saying...

"One way or another, this Darkness got to give"
usedtobebabson

Postby oldblue on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:41 pm

usedtobebabson wrote:And you have the US all wrong. They prefer violence and gangs and hard drugs on the street. They are terrified of "Peace" because they unify and make all their money by war. They don't know how to unify and make money with Peace...Just Saying...

"One way or another, this Darkness got to give"

i know exactly what you mean. i left suburbia to live in the ghetto amidst street gangs, random violence, drive by shootings, crack whores, heroin shooting galleries, junkies stumbling around the streets and all the rest of that good stuff. i figured it was my patriotic duty as an american to live the values we all espouse. i highly recommend it for excitement and adrenalin. those people don't know what they have. as an american, i love it!

i just hope the rumors aren't true that the tea party is opening an office next door to my house. that would sure send property values plummeting. there goes the neighborhood as they say.
Last edited by oldblue on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby oldblue on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:02 pm

JohnBSails wrote:Well, i think i got the message. You live your life in the States. It is your life. I got my
stuff in Holland. I don't need to complain about something. Life is good. Got my house
my job my property etc. No need for drugshit or alcohol related troubles etc. If you are
happy in your place ? My words above are just bla bla bullshit from someone who doesn't
know about the life and times in the States..... great. Get a cold beer and smoke
something..... 8) 8) 8) 8)

A BAD joke, not for the kids ;
Hollywood did ruin it for you for 100% now ! Their movie ; The Expendables

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320253/

Holy crap, even Arnie Schwarz is there to (for 13 seconds) and for the rest ? Old boys
like Stalone with an over dose of some hormones. Rourke and some others to.
That movie is dangerous ! It is full of hormones it could explode ! Hollywood isn't what
it was, now it's more crap than nice movies. TONS of Rambo Schwartzeneggers.
Full of hormones to look like a clown. Asta la vista baby... i'll be back........ :lol:
People got a wrong idea of America ? You should say thank you Hollywood, CNN etc. etc.

what message?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby oldblue on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:23 pm

JohnBSails wrote:The message ?. I think the message is something like ;

We, American people don't like the idea to get "commands" how to live from somebody
from Holland or any other country. It is our life not yours...

IF i am wrong i would like to read the true story...

I did see that movie and i did laugh about it. Movies from the past years
are 8 out of 10 the same crap. WAR x 1.000.000 no nice movies like Ulee's Gold
or Bridges of Madison Country......

i'm the only one who has to die when it's my time to die. so let me live my life the way i want to. play on drummer, said jimi hendrix.

as for messages, i recommend western union. they have lots of them.
oldblue

Postby oldblue on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:41 pm

JohnBSails wrote:"....i'm the only who has to die when it's my time to die. so let me live my life
the way i want to. play on drummer, said jimi hendrix........."

Well, i can only agree for a part. Life isn't always that simple. Hell, i wish it was THAT
simple. If i would be living alone ? It was simple like that. But i don't live alone. I have
to take care of certain things. So if i would die people have to change a lot of things to
get money. And i can't walk away if the presure would be to much or if i would like to
look for something else. Some men do that but i don't. I wouldn't change my life to,
why should i ? I am living in my fathers house, he payed for it. He died 25 years ago.
Now it is my property, doesn't cost me my life. If you would feel about the same as i do
now, you would be happy to. I did have the chance to turn my hobby into my job.
Something computer/Software related. Internet & Networks to. Not a big deal but i
like it. If you feel about the same ? You would be happy to. We share something...
Jefferson Airplane. Their music. But not everybody does it the same way. Some people
have JA as an excuse to use drugs, they did it so i will do it. Or what ever reason.
They did use drugs, but it wasn't their religion/god (i think so !).

Peace... thanx for reading.

...and i like to have dogs around. Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois) or German Shepherds.
To take a walk in the woods and for protection of my property. They trust me and i'll trust
them to do their job.

well for walking in the woods and protecting my property i have a 9 mm glock, an uzi, an AK-47, 12 gauge pump action shotgun, 7.65 mannlicher carcano, BAR, 45 cal pistol, a luger, thompson submachine gun, a bren gun, a bazooka, several rpg's, M-16, three or four panzerfausts, a collection of bayonets and hunting knives, a samurai sword, an M-60 machine gun, and a Sturmgewehr 44, a T-34 tank and a 155 mm howitzer. do you know where i can get hold of some hand grenades and a torpedo?

Unlike dogs you don' thave to feed them or clean up after them. well maybe you have to feed them bullets and such and clean up the casings but hey they sure do light up the night and give me a great feeling of power, contentment and security
oldblue

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:14 pm

usedtobebabson wrote: So with technology we can differentiate between smart bombs and new weapons and war driven medical advancements, vs. cell phones and word processors and computers. Not to mention the socially crippled, Carpal tunnel challenged young folks on the street today.

Goodness me, socially crippled and carpal-tunnel challenged? I wouldn't be so quick to judge my generation, although we certainly have our shortcomings. What we believe has been supplied by corporations, and self-expression has been co-opted. We certainly have limited culture of our own, and we are definitely different from any generation before us in our means of communication. Then again, I wouldn't be judging my generation for it. We aren't the ones selling what counterculture we have to corporations. We're the ones buying it, but that's what we've been trained to do. I feel as though I can speak for my peers to some degree: My peers and I are teenagers-- I'm fourteen years old. I can say confidently that we haven't had time to truly come into our own yet. Soon, perhaps, we will.

"Socially crippled" though seems wholly incorrect to me. On the contrary, we spend more time being social and communicating than possibly any generation before us. We communicate in very different ways, but it doesn't mean we aren't communicating.

Somewhat ironic, isn't it? A forum about a band that rose from the concept of youth revolution is judging today's youth for being different than their generation was.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby oldblue on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:49 pm

plasticfantastic wrote:
usedtobebabson wrote: So with technology we can differentiate between smart bombs and new weapons and war driven medical advancements, vs. cell phones and word processors and computers. Not to mention the socially crippled, Carpal tunnel challenged young folks on the street today.

Goodness me, socially crippled and carpal-tunnel challenged? I wouldn't be so quick to judge my generation, although we certainly have our shortcomings. What we believe has been supplied by corporations, and self-expression has been co-opted. We certainly have limited culture of our own, and we are definitely different from any generation before us in our means of communication. Then again, I wouldn't be judging my generation for it. We aren't the ones selling what counterculture we have to corporations. We're the ones buying it, but that's what we've been trained to do. I feel as though I can speak for my peers to some degree: My peers and I are teenagers-- I'm fourteen years old. I can say confidently that we haven't had time to truly come into our own yet. Soon, perhaps, we will.

"Socially crippled" though seems wholly incorrect to me. On the contrary, we spend more time being social and communicating than possibly any generation before us. We communicate in very different ways, but it doesn't mean we aren't communicating.

Somewhat ironic, isn't it? A forum about a band that rose from the concept of youth revolution is judging today's youth for being different than their generation was.

as no less than bob dylan observed in a recent interview:

“It’s peculiar and unnerving in a way to see so many young people walking around with cell phones and iPods in their ears and so wrapped up in media and video games,” Dylan told interviewer Douglas Brinkley, a professor of U.S. history at Rice University in Houston.

“It robs them of their self-identity. It’s a shame to see them so tuned out to real life. Of course they are free to do that, as if that’s got anything to do with freedom. The cost of liberty is high, and young people should understand that before they start spending their life with all those gadgets.”

ultimately what passed and was passed off as a counterculture or youth rebellion or whatever in the 60s was bought and sold as much as whatever there is of it today is. don't let anyone tell you different.

"self-expression has been co-opted" what does that mean? i don't understand the concept. go out and express yourself. it's still america. just because no one may be paying attention or you're not making money for it is immaterial. create the reality you describe (if only for yourself) act out your life. express yourself. what's stopping you?

"limited culture of our own"? again i don't understand. you're an american. you have a great culture and cultural heritage to partake of and participate in. thoreau, emerson, twain, kesey, robert johnson, muddy waters, bob dylan, jerry garcia. hunter thompson, whitman. kerouac. ginsberg, neal cassady. hank williams, woody guthrie, martin luther king jr., ralph ellison, faulkner, fitzgerald, hopper, henry miller, benton, shall i go on. i don't buy that. not at all. everyone builds on what came before.

what is the concept of youth revolution"? the airplane and all that arose from a concept of america and american culture that goes straight back to whitman and beyond. why did dylan appear in paris in 1966 with a giant american flag behind him? why did people like kesey look at lsd as a frontier? why did the charlatans seek an american look and sound in the wake of the british invasion. why did the diggers espouse the idea of free as they did? because they were all americans and part of american culture and not counter to it. and they wanted to express that.

there has never been a revolution in this country.

don't be afraid to think and act for yourself and don't look for it to be in the same old place when it comes around again.
oldblue

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:27 pm

oldblue wrote:
ultimately what passed and was passed off as a counterculture or youth rebellion or whatever in the 60s was bought and sold as much as whatever there is of it today is. don't let anyone tell you different.

I have no trouble believing that. I may state the "love burger" as one example.

oldblue wrote:"self-expression has been co-opted" what does that mean? i don't understand the concept. go out and express yourself. it's still america. just because no one may be paying attention or you're not making money for it is immaterial. create the reality you describe (if only for yourself) act out your life. express yourself. what's stopping you?

Happy to clarify. Well, what I mean is that every shred of counterculture or integrity in our culture seems to end up based in some sort of money-making something. Self-expression is certainly possible on a small scale, but the problem is that whenever anything grows to any degree, some company will jump on it, and often twist it to make more money for themselves. Basically, the concept of grassroots is impossible. Everything will eventually be pulled up from underground, or so it seems. And no, I'm not trying to say that that was never the case in the 60s. I'm not necessarily contrasting-- I'm simply describing my views of the present as opposed to my opinions of the past.

oldblue wrote:"limited culture of our own"? again i don't understand. you're an american. you have a great culture and cultural heritage to partake of and participate in. thoreau, emerson, twain, kesey, robert johnson, muddy waters, bob dylan, jerry garcia. hunter thompson, whitman. kerouac. ginsberg, neal cassady. hank williams, woody guthrie, martin luther king jr., ralph ellison, faulkner, fitzgerald, hopper, henry miller, benton, shall i go on. i don't buy that. not at all. everyone builds on what came before.

Again, I don't doubt you. Americans themselves have a culture, but it is our generation that lacks any culture of its own. I'm not discussing America as a whole-- simply my generation, which is fed things that other generations have deemed good for us. And here, I'm speaking of things like Disney-channel-type music, and the multitude of brands that have risen from youth culture which began as individualistic.

oldblue wrote:what is the concept of youth revolution"? the airplane and all that arose from a concept of america and american culture that goes straight back to whitman and beyond. why did dylan appear in paris in 1966 with a giant american flag behind him? why did people like kesey look at lsd as a frontier? why did the charlatans seek an american look and sound in the wake of the british invasion. why did the diggers espouse the idea of free as they did? because they were all americans and part of american culture and not counter to it. and they wanted to express that.

Well, you're correct in that "culture" is a decidedly loose term. I don't know how much culture depends on dissidence, if that is your question. Perhaps I should have used a different word instead to describe the sort of thing I mean. "Identity" might be closer to what I'm trying to say. So far, we have nothing to distinguish us. We have practically nothing unique, and only a little bit of identity we've built for ourselves. Currently, we are a generation almost completely without a face, and I hope that will change as we grow older.

Was there a revolution? I wasn't there, so I can't judge. What I speak of as "youth revolution" (somewhat ironically, I might add) here is the spirit that propelled bands like Airplane to do what they were known best for. It seems to have been a changing state of mind, just about things in general. I didn't witness it firsthand, but I seem to have been raised in its aftermath. Perhaps it wasn't a revolution, but I should hope you consider it a time of change.
plasticfantastic

Postby oldblue on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:36 pm

plasticfantastic wrote:
oldblue wrote:

I have no trouble believing that. I may state the "love burger" as one example.

oldblue wrote:"self-expression has been co-opted" what does that mean? i don't understand the concept. go out and express yourself. it's still america. just because no one may be paying attention or you're not making money for it is immaterial. create the reality you describe (if only for yourself) act out your life. express yourself. what's stopping you?

Happy to clarify. Well, what I mean is that every shred of counterculture or integrity in our culture seems to end up based in some sort of money-making something. Self-expression is certainly possible on a small scale, but the problem is that whenever anything grows to any degree, some company will jump on it, and often twist it to make more money for themselves. Basically, the concept of grassroots is impossible. Everything will eventually be pulled up from underground, or so it seems. And no, I'm not trying to say that that was never the case in the 60s. I'm not necessarily contrasting-- I'm simply describing my views of the present as opposed to my opinions of the past.

oldblue wrote:"limited culture of our own"? again i don't understand. you're an american. you have a great culture and cultural heritage to partake of and participate in. thoreau, emerson, twain, kesey, robert johnson, muddy waters, bob dylan, jerry garcia. hunter thompson, whitman. kerouac. ginsberg, neal cassady. hank williams, woody guthrie, martin luther king jr., ralph ellison, faulkner, fitzgerald, hopper, henry miller, benton, shall i go on. i don't buy that. not at all. everyone builds on what came before.

Again, I don't doubt you. Americans themselves have a culture, but it is our generation that lacks any culture of its own. I'm not discussing America as a whole-- simply my generation, which is fed things that other generations have deemed good for us. And here, I'm speaking of things like Disney-channel-type music, and the multitude of brands that have risen from youth culture which began as individualistic.

oldblue wrote:what is the concept of youth revolution"? the airplane and all that arose from a concept of america and american culture that goes straight back to whitman and beyond. why did dylan appear in paris in 1966 with a giant american flag behind him? why did people like kesey look at lsd as a frontier? why did the charlatans seek an american look and sound in the wake of the british invasion. why did the diggers espouse the idea of free as they did? because they were all americans and part of american culture and not counter to it. and they wanted to express that.

Well, you're correct in that "culture" is a decidedly loose term. I don't know how much culture depends on dissidence, if that is your question. Perhaps I should have used a different word instead to describe the sort of thing I mean. "Identity" might be closer to what I'm trying to say. So far, we have nothing to distinguish us. We have practically nothing unique, and only a little bit of identity we've built for ourselves. Currently, we are a generation almost completely without a face, and I hope that will change as we grow older.

Was there a revolution? I wasn't there, so I can't judge. What I speak of as "youth revolution" (somewhat ironically, I might add) here is the spirit that propelled bands like Airplane to do what they were known best for. It seems to have been a changing state of mind, just about things in general. I didn't witness it firsthand, but I seem to have been raised in its aftermath. Perhaps it wasn't a revolution, but I should hope you consider it a time of change.

you can only do what you can do. i'd worry about that first before i got hung up on scale.
oldblue

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:40 pm

Yes, I suppose that's true.

The fact that nothing can really grow yet though is highly unfortunate, I think.
plasticfantastic

Postby usedtobebabson on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:36 am

plasticfantastic wrote:

Wasn't judging your generation PF, was just stating facts. It only hurts a little bit at first. I am genuinely concerned about face to face communication taking the back door, Obesity running rampant because physical activity takes a backseat to computer games. Medical firms all already counting the bucks on thumb replacement for severe carpal tunnel on texting addiction. So you have all this mostly meaningless technology, which my generation gave you? Or got you to buy a lot of stuff you don't really need. What good is it all if the street and culture of youth are shit? We are not so amazed at this technology as you are because we know it is all 15 year old stuff designed to pacify, only put into much smaller devices now.
Again my only question here is what good is it all, if heroine , crack, speed, crypts and bloods and young gunfights and dead bodies are rampant in your streets? for that reason I would go back to the time when better things WERE possible, and more to the point we all felt it, lived it, and brought peace to the streets for a brief time, long enough for me to cherish those years anyways.
I know from my son's 30 something generation that these things are only half bad and half the youth.
But there is no denying the bad seed dominates the streets today, whereas the good seed dominated the streets, 67 to 79, I would say.
usedtobebabson

Postby oldblue on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:18 am

usedtobebabson wrote:
But there is no denying the bad seed dominates the streets today, whereas the good seed dominated the streets, 67 to 79, I would say.

i especially enjoyed these non-violent street demonstrations (or were they mere street theater) in the 1960s:

Rochester 1964 race riot; Rochester, New York - July
New York City 1964 riot; New York City, New York - July
Philadelphia 1964 race riot; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - August
Jersey City 1964 race riot, August 2–4, Jersey City, New Jersey
Paterson 1964 race riot, August 11–13, Paterson, New Jersey
Elizabeth 1964 race riot, August 11–13, Elizabeth, New Jersey
Chicago 1964 race riot, Dixmoor riot, August 16–17, Chicago, Illinois

Watts Riot; Los Angeles, California - August

Hough Riots; Cleveland, Ohio - July
Hunter's Point Riot; San Francisco
Chicago Race Riot; Chicago, Illinois -January

1967 Newark riots; Newark, New Jersey - July
12th Street riot; Detroit, Michigan - July
1967 Plainfield riots; Plainfield, New Jersey - July
Milwaukee riot; Milwaukee, Wisconsin - July 30–31
Minneapolis North Side Riots; Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota - August

Orangeburg massacre; Orangeburg, South Carolina - February
125 cities in April and May, in response to the murder of Martin Luther King, Jr. including:
Baltimore riot of 1968; Baltimore Maryland
1968 Washington, D.C. riots; Washington, D.C.
1968 New York City riot; New York City, New York
West Side Riots; Chicago, Illinois
Louisville riots of 1968; Louisville, Kentucky
Summit, IL Race Riot at Argo High School September 1968

i guess some streets that were mean back then remain that way.

"violence is as american as cherry pie" said h. rap brown
oldblue

Postby usedtobebabson on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:25 am

JohnBSails wrote:Your country needs a VERY progresive government, not just some boys ! My message for
your president : Clean up your own country first ! Millions for health care and not
some crappy guns. Your country is still doing test with nuclear-weapon-crap ! WHY ?
To much money ? If no cares about it, your country will never change. The rich bitches
will be more rich and the poor people can have 0,50 dollarcent....

The "Peoples" Pet peeve in America, also. Our government feels it's is not doing it's job if the "People" aren't afraid of them.

There were no riots where I was. Riots were THE thing before it got cool to be hip. But the '67 riots and on I missed. Wasn't interested anymore. Could get more fullfilling Cheap Thrills from the non-violent faction of the counter- culture.

So I don't really worry about peace anymore. It has a life of it's own, and you couldn't stop it if you wanted to. If it takes 4 or 5 more generations, doesn't really matter, unless you like Morrison, and "We want the world and we want it,---- NOW...

Non-violence and racism are daily struggles, a no one can wave a magic wand and make it all go away, but a free will unity of people can, only it can't be the turn off old stuff like Christianity, has to be cool to be hip, across all religions, races, ages and power hungry politicians - like it was in the 60s for those who weren't seeking out the riots still...and better still - no one can organize something like this. Just has to start being the cool thing - erasing the imaginary dark side imposed on us by those in power.
usedtobebabson

Postby oldblue on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:50 am

usedtobebabson wrote:

Non-violence and racism are daily struggles, a no one can wave a magic wand and make it all go away, but a free will unity of people can, only it can't be the turn off old stuff like Christianity, has to be cool to be hip, across all religions, races, ages and power hungry politicians - like it was in the 60s for those who weren't seeking out the riots still...and better still - no one can organize something like this. Just has to start being the cool thing - erasing the imaginary dark side imposed on us by those in power.

"when the Cream met Savage Rose and Fixable, he was introduced to them by none other than Lifelessness—Lifelessness is the Great Enemy and always wears a hip guard—he is very hipguard…. Lifelessness said when introducing everybody “go save the world” and “involvement! that’s the issue” and things like that and Savage Rose winked at Fixable and the Cream went off with his arm in a sling singing “summertime and the Livin is easy”…"
oldblue

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums