album as pure work of art - nominations

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: album as pure work of art - nominations

Postby PrayForPlagues on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:04 pm

plasticfantastic wrote: Also, The Who's Quadrophenia. Tommy's lesser-known and lesser-loved cousin. Nearly impenetrable to a fourteen-year-old American girl, but from what sense I've made of it, the lyrics are as artful as the music, which is incredible-- Dark, stromy, emotional, depressing, and altogether fascinating. Of course, the album is hated by even staunch fans of The Who, but I love it.

Oh yes, I don't know how I could have forgotten Quadrophenia. I had an obsession with The Who a few years back and I always liked it much more then Tommy. Strong melodies, definite atmosphere and beautiful lyrics.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby plasticfantastic on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:32 pm

I went through a Who obsession a few years ago as well. I agree with you. Although Tommy is far more accessible, more famous, and more iconic, I've always liked Quadrophenia best. There's a lot more range in it than there is in Tommy, and I think it's possibly better thought-out-- keep in mind that Pete Townshend literally wrote Tommy as the band recorded it, or so I've heard. I have a feeling that Quadrophenia had a bit more of a plan behind it, even though it is definitely much more complicated.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby trident sam on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:56 pm

Tom Waits, Blue Valentine - utterly mesmerising , if you haven't got it , do yourself a favour and get it
sam
trident sam

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:26 pm

I thought this one would be easy... but then, I can't find an album which has no track I'd like to skip, not the Airplane, not The Mamas & The Papas, Spanky and our gang, the Great Society, It's a Beautiful Day, Big Brother & The Holding Company, The Velvet Underground & nico, Cold Bloog, C.K. Strong, Sweetwater, aso. But then I found it. The only album I can gladly listen, enjoying each and every song and that I consider a work of art is the Stone Poney's Evergreen Vol. 2 . It's perfecto. Sweet Linda Ronstadt's vocals and great songwritting by Rob Kimmel and the other guy who resently passed out who's name I can't remember. This last guy went psychedelic and plays the sitara on the title track "Evergreen" and then on the instrumental reprise "Evergreen part 2". I recommend this album to everyone. I wouldn't want to skip any track on thisone.
CookOfTheHouse

Postby starfire II on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:30 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments regarding Quadrophenia and Anthem Of The Sun. Off the top of my head I'd also add Freak Out by Zappa and The Mothers, Ys by Joanna Newsom, and Stormcock by Roy Harper; all of them utterly unique records.
starfire II

Postby plasticfantastic on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Freakout is definitely one to add.

I'd also include Axis: Bold As Love (Hendrix Experience), Pearl (Janis Joplin), and Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd). I know the last is far overdiscussed, and perhaps overplayed, but at least in my opinion, it's quite a brilliant album, and definitely one warranting status as a work of art.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:30 pm

And none of you JEFFERSON AIRPLANE fans can come up with After Bathing At Baxter's? If it's not a work of art, at least it's a very colourful album, and a bunch of random colours can be considered art. I'd even nominate Crown of Creation too, and Blows Against The Empire is a good nomination, but it's more of a sci fi novel than a work of art.

Some other personal nominations - Benefit by Jethro Tull, Days of Future Passed by The Moody Blues, Red by King Crimson (I could also nominate In The Court Of The Crimson King), and Aja by Steely Dan. I chose these by not only how colourful and "artsy" the music is, but how much they all move me, which is different from purely enjoying them. This is all from my perception though, everyone views art in their own way.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby Jagazzflatts on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:21 am

Spirit "The twelve dreams of Dr Sardonicus"
Jagazzflatts

Previous

Return to Open Forums