Grace's finest moment

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: Grace's finest moment

Postby redrabid on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:11 pm

Grace didn't sing very well in the seventies, she seemed to have lost control. That famous vibrato became very irritating, almost destroying some good songs for me. Her voice too often sounds shrill, those angelic lows are gone (listen to that soft, warm voice as she is singing the premature "Wooden Ships" in the video on Marty Balin's website). But I am not so sure whether it was the surgery that caused the change in her voice. She regained full command of her voice in the 80's (as especially live recordings show), when she changed her drinking habits.
redrabid

Postby Egg Crisis on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:06 pm

redrabid wrote:She regained full command of her voice in the 80's (as especially live recordings show), when she changed her drinking habits.

Did Grace make any live appearances after the 1989 reunion tour? Any guest appearances anywhere perhaps?
I know she says old(er) people shouldn't be on stage and that's her reason for retiring from singing, but she didn't have to go on stage, she could have done some studio albums then we could have listened to them and made up our own visuals.
Egg Crisis

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Egg Crisis wrote:
redrabid wrote:She regained full command of her voice in the 80's (as especially live recordings show), when she changed her drinking habits.

Did Grace make any live appearances after the 1989 reunion tour? Any guest appearances anywhere perhaps?... quote]

Yep, only a few times, there's Deep Space/Virgin Skies, held by Jefferson Starship after the dead of Papa John Creach. Grace sings a coupple of songs (Somebody To Love, Wooden Ships, White Rabbit, Lawman) and the other songs are handled by Darby Gould, and she does a hell of a job. She also appears on a 2002 benefict concert for the 9/11. She went upstage during the Jefferson Starship performance, dressed as a muslim woman, all dressed in black. But she removed the clothing and she was wearing an American flag Dress with the words "Fuck Fear" and she sung a coupple of song but I've never heard 'em, but there are a lot of pics available.

Back to Gracie, she REALLY lost it after Volunteers. I've been looking for about two weeks for an AMAZING live version of Aerie (Gang Of Eagles) but she just couldn't get it, she sucked at it every time she tried. I started looking for GOOD version or even RESPECTABLE versions but nothing... After giving up, I started looking for great live versions of eighter Miracles or Caroline but, darn it, there was nothing. Darby Gould does a hell of a job singing them live, believe me, it's a shame someone who's supposed to fill a blank could be better than the original. If anyone knows the dates of the songs I'm looking for, please let me know!!
CookOfTheHouse

Postby Illyria99 on Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:49 pm

My absolute favorite songs from Grace are Two Heads, Hey Frederick, and Bikini Atoll (from the Software album).

Simple amazing!
Illyria99

Previous

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions