Your Other Obsessions/ Interests

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: Your Other Obsessions/ Interests

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 am

Haha, thank you! I like my pajamas, too. :mrgreen:

Yeah, my Dad likes old movies, but nothing I find fascinating. It's not that they are boring - they aren't - but they're not my style.
I do like old movies, though. I am a huge fan of Fay Wray, who is sort of...well, when people usually talk of old movie stars, they don't usually talk about Fay Wray. But I love the movies of the 20s and 30s. Silent movies are my favorite. I saw one once and I absolutely adored it. I can't remember the name of it, though. I think silent movies actually leave more to the imagination. Sound, color, voices, and even dialogue if you ignore the words they put on the screen. You can make up your own story. I also think the style of the 20s women is absolutely gorgeous. It's so...I don't know. I just like it a lot.

I haven't seen much of Marlon Brando, but he is so great in that movie! I love Vito Corleone! Especially in the 2nd one when they switch to the early 1900's when Vito was younger. But that movie really made me crave Italian food all week, haha! I didn't think I would like The Godfather, but I really really did. It's...one of my favorites, I'd say. It's very entertaining.

I don't know if she is or not, but I only know I've heard the one story about her and Marilyn. But then again, I sort of take stuff like that very cautiously. Sexuality, of any kind, is sort of a private thing. If someone is gay, lesbian, bisexual, straight, or anything like that, I think they are the ones who should out themselves...not someone else. So no, I take things like that lightly and not as serious. Joan is only Joan. She is all she ever will be. I don't hold her faults against her. I wouldn't want someone to do that to me, so I won't do it to anyone else. :)

Grace didn't seem to really plan her outfits. She seems more natural more than someone who actually had to plan them all out. That is, unless, that she actually made the outfit herself, lol.

And goodnight! haha
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:46 pm

I love the Volunteer vinyl! I just started it...<3 So good!

Old movies are linked to my hip. I love them!!! I looked up to see if I've seen any of Fay Wray's movies and I've seen The Most Dangerous Game which is a twisted movie and I guess she also stars in Queen Bee which is a Joan Crawford movie. I've seen parts of King Kong but I never was able to see the whole thing yet. Which movies are your favorite with her?

Hmm if you haven't seen these old movies you might like them if you ever want to give them a go; The Graduate, Some Like It Hot, Bringing Up Baby, Sunset Blvd, Mildred Pierce, The Birds, Psycho, Gone With The Wind, Breakfast At Tiffany's, I Want To Live, Citizen Kane. These are really popular movies and one's that I love too. So maybe you've seen some of them. :mrgreen:

YaY! So you've seen some silent pictures yourself! My absolute favorite is Metropolis!! Fritz Lang was a genius when it came to directing!!!! I think the acting in silents were really cool, like Charlie Chaplin, Howard Lloyd, Lon Chaney, Joan, Norma Shearer, Greta Garbo's, etc. It was so different since they had to exaggerate everything. But I agree with you, the silents do let your imagination flow. Most of that imagination is taken away from movies today. :P I like the styles from the 20's-60's. :D

My favorite movies by Brando are mainly his famous ones like The Wild One, On the Waterfront, The Godfather and A Street Car Named Desire. Ahh but I can't believe how hot he was when he was young. This picture used to be my background. :) One of my favorites http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Brando,%20Marlon/Annex/Annex%20-%20Brando,%20Marlon_32.jpg I haven't seen all of The Godfathers. I remember the 2nd one a little though. I do have them all...somewhere. Italian movies always make me want some wine. lol on mothers day my mom and i had wine and watched the sopranos together. lol.

Did Grace ever make any outfits? :o
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:39 am

She looks like Andy Pandy in those trousers. (This is the standard comment on vertical stripes.)

Today I was surprised to see a ringer for a teenage Princess Elizabeth behind the counter in the local noodle shop. Nicely toothy and slightly goofy-looking.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:35 am

What is a ringer?
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby nicktecky on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:45 am

ringer, (also 'dead ringer'):

One person very similar in looks to another.

For more detail, Google:" ringer dictionary "
nicktecky

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Ohh, wow, how cool :) lol

Thank you :)
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:42 am

Hmmm, I wish I'd hadn't been away at the beginning of this discussion... I'll answer the original question anyway.

Music is my primary interest. I play bass and guitar, and am now working on both drums and keyboard, and I spend a good amount of time writing lyrics and music for my own songs, which have a tendency to get quite strange. I love learning about music too, both the music I like, and music in general-- I am among a minority who deeply loves theory.

History has been an interest of mine since I was about four. World history, human history, American history, anything... I've gone through phases of numerous. At the moment, I'm most interested in the 20th century. Obviously, the 60s is what I focus on the most, but I end up studying many other decades as well. I find the entire rise of communism very interesting, and have been reading a lot about that recently as well. I took a Latin American History class last year that I really loved, so that's interesting too.

I've loved to write since about 3rd grade or so. I'll do an occasional story, but lyrics and poetry take up most of my time. As for reading, which I do a lot of, I've read 100 Years of Solitude, Love in the Time of Cholera ( both Gabriel Garcia Marquez), Sphere (Michael Crighton), The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath), Brave New World (Aldous Huxley), Eva Luna, House of Spirits ( both Isabel Allende), The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini), five collections of horror stories whose author escapes me, Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas, The Great Shark Hunt (both Hunter Thompson), The Great Gatsby (Kurt Vonnegutt, whose name I cannot spell), and Pride and Prejudice (which I read for school and HATED). That should give you some idea.

Film interests me as well. My favorite movie is The Godfather. Psychology is interesting to me, and I also love some other sciences. I find politics interesting, and also religion, although I am non-religious. Phew. I may think of more later, and further clog the forum.
Last edited by plasticfantastic on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby oldblue on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:48 pm

kurt vonnegut would be surprised to learn he had written the great gatsby. it was f. scott fitzgerald who wrote that masterpiece.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:14 pm

Oh wow, whoops... A masterful typo on my part. I meant to say The Greay Gasby, which is most definitely Fitzgerald, and Cat's Cradle, which is most definitely Vonnegut. Thanks for catching that.
plasticfantastic

Postby PrayForPlagues on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Music! I love playing guitar, I have since 2004. I take lessons from a really amazing guy who lived in SF through the 60s and the counterculture back then. He's taught me a lot of blues and folk, and also provides a lot of insight into acid rock.
Other than that, I LOVE learning languages. This upcoming school year (my senior year in high school) I'm taking Mandarin Chinese 2. I took Chinese 1 last year and it was really amazing. I'm really in love with the Chinese language(s) and culture. I really want to continue my passion with Mandarin Chinese- whether it be travel or a career, it's for sure. I lived in Spain and Mexico for several years so I'm fluent in Spanish, and I took a Portuguese class for 2 years and I think I'm okay with that. I also took Hebrew for a year a few years ago. I can't remember too many words, but I can still at least read the Hebrew letters and sound the words out. I do remember the prayers and things like that for some odd reason.
I work a lot, and whenever I'm not doing that I'm playing guitar or hanging out with my friends.
Photography is a huge obsession of mine. We're a really avid group of urban exploring (photographing and exploring abandoned places) however illegal it may be... but we've never broken or gone into somewhere that didn't have an open entrance, so i guess that's a bit better. The times we've gotten caught we were basically told by the police to not be seen on the properties again, but they wouldn't punish us because the places (factories and the like) are so old and decrepit it would be rather pointless. It might sound like a dumb thing to be interested in, but there is something entrancing and thrilling about going places uninhabited by humans (well, other than homeless people, in some circumstances) and the resulting photos I take are always rather eerie.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby PrayForPlagues on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:52 pm

JohnBSails wrote:Photography ? Great ! In the past i did like that to ! If it isn't a problem on this forum
post some pictures, i would like it. But again this forum is about music.

Creative people should have enough room to do their stuff !

Go ahead! The 'open forum' is for off topic stuff, but photography isn't too off topic! Just start your own thread.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Odd coincidence-- P4P, I was raised Jewish and took Hebrew for 6 yrs in school. I don't remember any words, but I can read and write it pretty well. My Bat Mitzvah was just a year-and-a-half ago, roughly, so I remember everything from that.

I'd love to see some of those photos. I'm really rather fascinated by abandoned buildings.

I'm taking Spanish, but I've only been learning it a year, since I took Latin in middle school, and then switched to it in 9th grade. And I'm going into 10th next year. Eek.
plasticfantastic

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:32 pm

Yo estudié español para tres años. :mrgreen:

And I love to write, too. But lately I've had major writer's block. :roll: So I'll wait until it's passed. :)
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby plasticfantastic on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Don't worry, PsychedelicRabbit-- It'll pass. :) It always seems to. I find that if you just give it some time, the ideas will start coming back.

Mi espanol es muy malo. I'm not too good at learning languages, as much as I'd like to be.
plasticfantastic

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:42 pm

My ideas are best when my emotions are really high and I have no other outlet to get them out. That's when my stories are best. That and when an idea strikes me. Lately I've had an idea for a story but I always did have trouble with the first few lines...

Yo habla 3 idiomas. German, Russian, and Spanish. My Spanish is better than the rest of them, though. Ich liebe Deutsch. YA OCHEN' LYUBLYU RUSSKIY! :D Too bad my russian is so bad, lol.
PsychedelicRabbit

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums