Fat Angel, the band switched around...?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Fat Angel, the band switched around...?

Postby PrayForPlagues on Wed May 12, 2010 5:35 pm

I was listening to Fat Angel by JA and a couple of people commented on it and said that the band liked to switch instruments around on this song, with Marty on bass, Jack on rhythm guitar and Paul and Jorma both on lead. I find this really hard to believe, can anyone verify my doubts?
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Re: Fat Angel, the band switched around...?

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed May 12, 2010 6:36 pm

I've heard about this quite a bit, and I can believe it. Marty plays guitar, so that's not far off, and Jack started out playing rhythm guitar in his first band with Jorma, so I can imagine it. I've just never seen any pictures or videos whatsoever of this, thus why I could also doubt it. But, I do believe it. I heard a few recordings closely and sometimes I think there's three guitars.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby okeedoe on Wed May 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Jack played lead guitar while Jorma played rhythm guitar in their first band called The Triumphs.That's one of the reasons why it isn't easy to keep up the beat with Jack.
okeedoe

Postby redrabid on Thu May 13, 2010 1:07 am

I think it was Jeff Tamarkin who wrote that Marty strapped on Jack's bass , while Jack switched to rhythm guitar on "Fat Angel". I know for sure that I read this, though I can't find where he made that remark. Possibly in the liner notes of one of the re-issues of BIPLH.
redrabid

Postby jimmie ray on Thu May 13, 2010 9:04 am

There was a thread here on this forum quite a while ago, and supposedly they did it differently at each live show. The concept is fascinating. Coincidentally, I was out at a bar for the first time in years last night, met someone with some nice buds, and found this song on the jukebox.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby starfire II on Thu May 13, 2010 5:34 pm

redrabid wrote:I think it was Jeff Tamarkin who wrote that Marty strapped on Jack's bass , while Jack switched to rhythm guitar on "Fat Angel". I know for sure that I read this, though I can't find where he made that remark. Possibly in the liner notes of one of the re-issues of BIPLH.

This info comes from Jeff Tamarkin's book Got A Revolution. Details can be found on pages 181-182.
starfire II

Postby JoeD80 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:42 pm

You can see that Jack is credited with playing rhythm guitar on the Surrealistic Pillow album as well, on Comin' Back to Me I think it was.
JoeD80

Postby PrayForPlagues on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:45 pm

Huh, interesting. Album credits are always fun to look at. Did anyone else notice that Joey Covington was credited as 'chair' on Eskimo Blue Day?
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions