album as pure work of art - nominations

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

album as pure work of art - nominations

Postby nicktecky on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:13 pm

Not the "artwork", the album itself.
If we think of a work of art as necessarily being entire and of itself, we can't have albums that are part of a larger collection, because then the body of work entire becomes the work of art, like Van Goghs' Iris's or Dali. The work should be bereft of baggage like a backstory. One has to consider the work entirely on its own. There should be little commercial value at the time of production, because commercial interests corrupt the art as well as the artist. Ideally the artist should die or be otherwise unavailable to interpret the work, thus meaning it has to stand by itself.

I'll nominate The United States of America by The United States of America.

Like all good art, it challenges, entertains, amuses. It is well crafted and has complexity whilst remaining accessible. Most importantly, the band had the good grace to "die" by disbanding and each member heading off to relative obscurity, thus leaving the album pure and unsullied like a tiny diamond in a world of coal.

So we're not looking for "greatness" but the purity of the work of art.
nicktecky

Re: album as pure work of art - nominations

Postby PrayForPlagues on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:44 pm

Blows Against the Empire has a much different feel to me than any other album- it seems as if the demeanor is more than the music itself. I know many artists intend their albums to be deeper in purity than the music, but I think Blows really transcends that. Especially the suite (side 2). It's so much more than music to me. It reminds me of a painting- something I find different things in every time I experience it. I could never get tired of it. It's cinematic, it's dreamlike, it's a kick-ass musical experience and is definitely more than just an album.
What's even more is that it was not really Jefferson Starship, but a group of varied musicians, as many of you know- that really never collaborated all together again (although Sunfighter comes close).
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby usedtobebabson on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:19 am

It's a Beautiful Day by It's a Beautiful Day. Did the same thing disbanded and left the Album unsullied. Everywhere I went in my travels, someone had a copy of that album.
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby oldblue on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:29 pm

usedtobebabson wrote:It's a Beautiful Day by It's a Beautiful Day. Did the same thing disbanded and left the Album unsullied. Everywhere I went in my travels, someone had a copy of that album.

actually they put out four more albums before calling it (a beautiful) day.

what did they share with the airplane?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby redrabid on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:02 pm

Pop/rock as art?
Are you kidding. It was when popmusicians wanted to be seen as "serious" artists, when they made albums to impress that the rot started to get in. Best pop/rock is now, is hummable and on 45.
redrabid

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:38 am

Faust's first album, the transparent one. As I understand it, they wanted to make something vaguely like rock music that was as rootless as possible. The result is sort of "brutalist", and a bit difficult to listen to. Their later albums are still strange, but much less confronting.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby nicktecky on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:28 am

RR -
Art for art's sake, money for God's sake.

You'll get no argument from me, RR.
When what is essentially a craft (songwriting and musicianship) was elevated to a self-consciously pursued "art" form, then it was a defining step away from RnR. I think that was what Clapton was about when he walked away from Blind Faith and went off with Delaney and Bonnie. The 70s were a bit of a 'lost decade', but Punk came along in the end and restored some sanity to the mainstream, if a little brutally.

I'm a hopelessly uneducated listener, but even I can tell the difference between a Miles Davis improvisation and so much twanging that went on.

But, there can be vernacular art, when craft and intent come together. For me, self indulgence is a defining difference.
nicktecky

Postby usedtobebabson on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:22 am

oldblue wrote:
usedtobebabson wrote:It's a Beautiful Day by It's a Beautiful Day. Did the same thing disbanded and left the Album unsullied. Everywhere I went in my travels, someone had a copy of that album.

Debatable. Wasn't the same band members. Check the Wiki for JA related stuff. They put out 4 more AFTER putting out It's a Beautiful Day. But I really didn't know that, as the last time I checked the web on this years ago it said they broke up after this debut self titled album. They only lost 2 members, then added a several more over the years and changed their name.
But thanks to you OB, as now I'm considering picking up Marrying Maiden, as that one will have the most original band members and did pretty well according to the wiki.

Some of the bands affiliations over the years
Jefferson Airplane
Moby Grape
Deep Purple
Frank Zappa
Jefferson Starship
David LaFlamme Band

films
1972 - Fillmore

And they were from Seattle.
usedtobebabson

Postby oldblue on Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:44 pm

usedtobebabson wrote:
oldblue wrote:

Debatable. Wasn't the same band members. Check the Wiki for JA related stuff. They put out 4 more AFTER putting out It's a Beautiful Day. But I really didn't know that, as the last time I checked the web on this years ago it said they broke up after this debut self titled album. They only lost 2 members, then added a several more over the years and changed their name.
But thanks to you OB, as now I'm considering picking up Marrying Maiden, as that one will have the most original band members and did pretty well according to the wiki.

Some of the bands affiliations over the years
Jefferson Airplane
Moby Grape
Deep Purple
Frank Zappa
Jefferson Starship
David LaFlamme Band

films
1972 - Fillmore

And they were from Seattle.

so by your line of reasoning the jefferson airplane never put out an album cause bob harvey and jerry peloquin never recorded one with them. the beatles never did an album cause stu sutcliffe and pete best weren't on an album with them. the byrds only recorded two albums. the rolling stones haven't done an album for decades. and on and on. ain't buying it. next time don't check the web ask someone who knows.

what the airplane and beautiful day shared was a manager -- matthew katz. who was trouble for both groups.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby usedtobebabson on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:46 pm

Yes! I was only talking about It's a Beautiful day. Not about those others you mention, of whom I would apply different reasoning. Not all black and white blue. What works for you doesn't do it for me. Never will.
usedtobebabson

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:59 pm

Katz also ruined Moby Grape's career. As I understand it, the group were conned into signing away any share in the income from album sales.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby oldblue on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:26 am

usedtobebabson wrote:Yes! I was only talking about It's a Beautiful day. Not about those others you mention, of whom I would apply different reasoning. Not all black and white blue. What works for you doesn't do it for me. Never will.

ah, yes, the old variable constant.
oldblue

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:51 am

I would nominate The Velvet Underground's first album definitely. That one was of course meant to be some sort of pop art thing, given the collaboration with Andy Warhol. It definitely broke a lot of ground, and aside from that is just a very interesting album.

Also, The Who's Quadrophenia. Tommy's lesser-known and lesser-loved cousin. Nearly impenetrable to a fourteen-year-old American girl, but from what sense I've made of it, the lyrics are as artful as the music, which is incredible-- Dark, stromy, emotional, depressing, and altogether fascinating. Of course, the album is hated by even staunch fans of The Who, but I love it.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby Ensign on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Grateful Dead's Anthem of the Sun. It was several live performances mixed, layered and spliced together, some studio additions, and was "mixed for the hallucinations", per Garcia. It is different from all their other albums, and doesn't sound like a studio album or a concert recording, either. It is unique, IMHO.
Ensign

Postby PrayForPlagues on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:04 pm

plasticfantastic wrote: Also, The Who's Quadrophenia. Tommy's lesser-known and lesser-loved cousin. Nearly impenetrable to a fourteen-year-old American girl, but from what sense I've made of it, the lyrics are as artful as the music, which is incredible-- Dark, stromy, emotional, depressing, and altogether fascinating. Of course, the album is hated by even staunch fans of The Who, but I love it.

Oh yes, I don't know how I could have forgotten Quadrophenia. I had an obsession with The Who a few years back and I always liked it much more then Tommy. Strong melodies, definite atmosphere and beautiful lyrics.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Next

Return to Open Forums