Took my ma to see jorma!

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Took my ma to see jorma!

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:00 am

Finally got the opportunity to bring some family to see Jorma play. My mom's in her mid 80's, and still thinks the Beatles were evil - so this acoustic show that leaned toward "country" worked out well. She was even familiar with two of the songs (neither of which I had heard Jorma do before), and likened the performance to when she saw Roy Clark (a huge compliment). I will honestly say the set opened in a rather lackluster fashion, but picked up nicely after that. Not having Jack there loses some fluiditity during transitions within the songs, and it seems the setlist has to be tailored to work in the mandolin interaction. Anyway, here's what we heard:

Jorma Kaukonen & Barry Mitterhoff
NOFO Rock And Folk Festival
Peconic Bay Winery
Cutchogue, NY.
Sunday, August 1, 2010

1. Blue Railroad Train
2. How Long Blues
3. Been So Long
4. Hesitation Blues
5. More Than My Old Guitar
6. Come Back Baby
7. Let Us Get Together Right Down Here
8. Parchman Farm
9. Keep Your Lamps Trimmed & Burning
10. Genesis
11. I Know You Rider
12. Bread Line Blues
13. Just Because
14. Encore: Embryonic Journey
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Re: Took my ma to see jorma!

Postby PrayForPlagues on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Ah, you're so lucky. Jorma never comes here- although he would definitely get large audiences if he did. Sounds like you had a good time!
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby SuperSlick66 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:57 pm

I wish I was your mom. :roll: I think Jorma was hot...unless it was that guitar of his.
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby Ensign on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:48 pm

Jorma is going to celebrate his 70th b-day this year with 2 shows at the Beacon in NYC. There are to be many special guests.
Ensign

Postby jimmie ray on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:41 am

Ensign wrote:Jorma is going to celebrate his 70th b-day this year with 2 shows at the Beacon in NYC. There are to be many special guests.

Those will be electric shows, so I feel trying to fit in too many guests on stage with Hot Tuna might actually make it a less instrumentally enjoyable experience. Plus all the introductions and chatter, I'm not sure... I heard Micheal Falzerano (sp) will be there, but I forget who else? I believe Bob Steeler is still around - if he could show up and get their heyday power trio together again for a few songs, that would be special!
jimmie ray

Postby Ensign on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:24 pm

It may not be the most instrumentally profound music we've ever heard from Jorma and Co. (but then again it may be that as well), but, hey - it's a birthday celebration.
Michael Falzarano is doing a lot of the organizing for it.
I'm thinking I will be traveling from Colorado to NYC for the event.
Ensign

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:10 am

You must get the opportunity to see Jorma often - I believe you said that you go to his ranch, and I know Hot Tuna does shows in Colorado regularly. I've gotten my other sister in Colorado tickets a few times, which were not expensive. I've been lucky to have them play often here in New York, as well as Virginia (where my mom lives). When I first heard about Jorma's ranch in Ohio, I was worried that he built the auditorium there to stay put for shows, and not tour often in his later years. Many of the members of this forum who see Jorma regularly don't seem to visit here anymore, and I don't get much insight into what the future holds. I imagine the special guests for these birthday shows will be mainly musicans that collaborate with Jorma at his ranch or recent albums (just got a few), rather than ones from decades ago?
jimmie ray

Postby Ensign on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:26 am

I see JK (or Tuna) whenever he comes to Colorado. Also I go to Fur Peace Ranch every year for Pick 'n' Putt weekend, when we all ride bikes with our Fur Peace Motorcycle Club.
I am not at liberty to list the names of people who may be guests at his 70th b-day concerts. Sorry. I'm sure they will be announced soon. But as a teaser... names include some who teach at the Ranch as well as some from other musical collaborations, even one or two from way back.
Ensign

Postby plasticfantastic on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:39 am

Jorma's 70th... this makes me want to go to New York. Shame I'm on the other side of the country.

Well, it's good that our forum will be represented by someone there. Ensign, if you go, definitely post about it!
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby Ensign on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:57 am

Here's the blurb from the latest Fur Peace Ranch newsletter:
Looking down the road a fur peace….I’d like to take this opportunity to invite all of our Alumni and future students to celebrate Jorma’s 70th Birthday with us and Hot Tuna. Last year Hot Tuna decided to throw the ultimate party for Jorma’s 70th birthday, one that will mark over 50 years of performing for Jorma. On Dec. 3 and 4, 2010, Jorma will take the stage with his celebrated band Hot Tuna for an electric show at the Beacon Theatre.

You should prepare to be astounded, as a star-studded line-up of musicians and friends of Jorma’s have committed to help him commemorate the evening. In a career that has spanned over half a century, Jorma has played and collaborated with the best musicians around. For his 70th birthday celebration, these performers will join him on stage to help embrace the occasion, blend their camaraderie, and most importantly their music. Now here's were you come in.... as Alumni, we will be calling on you at some point in the night’s festivities to help us with a special surprise.

Hot Tuna is ecstatic to play with this “A-list” of special guests and you too would be foolish not to take in one or both nights. The guest appearances are quite different for each night but all Jack and Jorma are willing to say is that the music will cover their early years to the present with musicians from the folk, blues, songwriter, psychedelic, southern rock and contemporary world of music. Don’t miss these amazing 2 nights. Tickets go on sale September 11th at The Beacon Theatre website. See you there…..be ready to be called upon!
Ensign

Return to Open Forums