jim morrison: poseur or shaman?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

jim morrison: poseur or shaman?

Postby oldblue on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:17 pm

hmmmmm?

what's so psychedelic about the doors anyway?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Re: jim morrison: poseur or shaman?

Postby usedtobebabson on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:01 am

Well for one thing, they all tripped, just like the JA.

Their Music was original also.

To me, it was pretty obvious much or their music was hallucinogen inspired.

They were kinda the Beatles and Stones from America, the biggest success of the big American bands.

Their music has withstood the test of time.

Doors music may be around forever...
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby okeedoe on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:10 am

He pretentiously considered himself a ''poet''.
okeedoe

Postby oldblue on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:08 pm

usedtobebabson wrote:Well for one thing, they all tripped, just like the JA.

Their Music was original also.

To me, it was pretty obvious much or their music was hallucinogen inspired.

They were kinda the Beatles and Stones from America, the biggest success of the big American bands.

Their music has withstood the test of time.

Doors music may be around forever...

a. because they tripped, doesn't mean either they or their music was psychedelic

b. just because it's original doesn't' mean it's psychedelic

c. hallucinogenic-inspired music is not necessarily psychedelic

d. i'd say the byrds were more the american beatles; the american stones, who cares? we had real blues guys. success neither denotes psychedelic nor quality. think about the many successful bands and artists you would never listen to. success means nothing.

e. a lot of music has withstood the test of time; doesn't make it psychedelic

f. a lot of music will be around forever; doesn't make it psychedelic.

remember phil lesh said acid rock is music you listen to when you're doing acid and that psychedelic music is music you listen to when you're psychedelic.

i said while acid rock can be psychedelic in some instances, psychedelic music is always psychedelic.

i still want to know why the doors are considered to be so psychedelic
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby redrabid on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:11 pm

The importance of The Doors was not so much the music they made, which still leaves me indifferent, but the fact that their music was an inspiration (certainly in British music) for lots of groups in later decades. God knows why.
redrabid

Postby oldblue on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:53 pm

redrabid wrote:The importance of The Doors was not so much the music they made, which still leaves me indifferent, but the fact that their music was an inspiration (certainly in British music) for lots of groups in later decades. God knows why.

and those so inspired would be?
oldblue

Postby redrabid on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:19 pm

Lots of bands were and are influenced by The Doors. To name a few: Iggy Pop, The Stranglers, The Cult, Joy Division of course. All those Grunge bands. A lot, maybe too many.
redrabid

Postby oldblue on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:31 pm

redrabid wrote:Lots of bands were and are influenced by The Doors. To name a few: Iggy Pop, The Stranglers, The Cult, Joy Division of course. All those Grunge bands. A lot, maybe too many.

don't see it
oldblue

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:24 pm

I think you like to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing. Let people have their opinion without shooting them down for once. That or just STFU.
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby oldblue on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:33 pm

PsychedelicRabbit wrote:I think you like to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing. Let people have their opinion without shooting them down for once. That or just STFU.

if you can't handle someone trying to initiate intelligent discussion or don't have the wherewithal to participate in said discussions go back to your little cotton candy world where gushing endlessly is the rule of the day.

until then may the baby jesus shut your mouth and open your mind.
oldblue

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:36 pm

I can handle intelligent conversation, but I don't always feel the need to ask people questions in a sort of demeaning way.

I'm honestly done with this forum. I meet some really nice people on here, but for the most part, I've only ever come across rude, judgmental, and arrogant people. I'm done with this forum. Goodbye.
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby oldblue on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:37 pm

PsychedelicRabbit wrote:I can handle intelligent conversation, but I don't always feel the need to ask people questions in a sort of demeaning way.

I'm honestly done with this forum. I meet some really nice people on here, but for the most part, I've only ever come across rude, judgmental, and arrogant people. I'm done with this forum. Goodbye.

i really don't think you can; don't let the door hit you
oldblue

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:45 pm

Psychedelic is hard to define, it's been put into this certain category though, by salesmen, to fit certain qualifications, such as wavy cool colours, incense, "mind-expansion", organ, fazing, fuzzed guitars, nonsensical fantasy-influenced lyrics and possibly some sitar and more influences from Indian music. For what it really is though, I'd like to quote Roky Erickson, who many consider the originator of Psychedelic Rock, as a part of the 13th Floor Elevators -- "It's where the pyramid meets the eye!"

As for both oldblue and redrabid, from the various comments you've spewed forth on this forum, I think you two should grow souls, and as PsychedelicRabbit said elsewhere, may someone knock sense or kindness into your head(s). I really hope you aren't actually leaving PR, you're one of the kindest persons on here, and this forum does not need less of them.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby redrabid on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:39 am

Well, first of all, I don't feel put down by Oldblue. He disagrees with me (among others) and that's fine with me. I like criticism, it is, as I learned at school a long time ago, a way to rethink your position, to better your arguments, to express them more clearly. Or to see your mistakes and change your points of view. So go on Oldblue.
Then, this site is not, as I said before, the "Mutual Admiration Society". If you think you are old enough to participate in the discussions, you should be old enough to take criticism. It is not a hostile act, it is not meant to offend you.
I am sorry that PsychedelicRabbit said she' s going to leave. I liked her posts, she seems a smart girl. But when she met a partner in crime in the pink-pants-discussion she put her mind on the shelf, it got out of hand in my opinion. They crossed the border of decency, if that word means anything in the cyberworld, it made me angry and I think it showed in my posts (and mind you, they were edited).
redrabid

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:30 am

Everybody needs criticism, but I didn't see what was so bad about them going on about people they love, and none of it seemed indecent, to me. This is sort of the place to go on about Grace, if you can't do it anywhere else, because I had a crush on her before and it's better to get those things out in the open. I didn't find anything obscene in their comments at all, and if you don't like it then just don't read it, it's that easy. It's the same thing with censorship, if you don't like something or it offends you, then just avoid it, look the other way. It's not being forced on you.

This site isn't a "Mutual Admiration Society", indeed, but Jefferson Airplane fans probably are not going to be "normal", and you should know what I mean. So I think a little raving and ranting is fine, especially when it involves a member of the Airplane. But just as much as your criticism is fine here, and my criticism of your criticism should be fine, so there is something mutual about all this.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Next

Return to Open Forums