Your Other Obsessions/ Interests

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: Your Other Obsessions/ Interests

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:08 am

You'll hear it when you get a better record player. My Dad did the sixpence-on-the-arm, and his records are pretty rough.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:46 pm

China has said that she saw what fame did to Grace and Paul, so she never wanted it. She must have for awhile, being an actress and all, but in the end decided against it. Other than a bit of information, I don't know much about her. Not even stories Grace has told. Well, I probably know a few but probably forgot them.

Yeah, and it doesn't bother me if people don't view someone I like as pretty. I think QEII is absolutely gorgeous. And she does look like someone famous, but I honestly have no idea who. I'm almost close to saying Grace and someone else, but that doesn't sound right either. She only reminds me of Grace since she has the blue eyes/dark hair combo going on. Other than that, Lillibet (how QEII said her name as a baby; she had a hard time pronouncing it xD) is sort of...unique in a way. But how, I'm not so sure...

And LOL at that comment Joan said!!! Oh, I bet she felt embarrassed for Marilyn. I would be. That's the Queen of England, and she has her hairstylist doing her hair, lol xD

I was so happy when she called me doll. You know she likes you when she calls you doll. :mrgreen: And the person who helped me get backstage said she's seen Cyndi enough to know that she really, really liked me. :)

And alright, fine. :mrgreen: Grace liked it, lol.

Oh my, Grace in tight pants = a good thing. xD But seriously, Grace must have went through a pink phase or something because there are other pictures I saw where Grace is wearing all pink. She looks like cotton candy, lol. But it's so cute. XD
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:59 pm

I remember Grace talking about China and her older boyfriend and how they over decorated the house with Halloween things during October.

QEII sort of reminds me of Judy Garland. Maybe it's that feeling in their eyes that they share, or that they both wore their lipstick/eyebrows similar, or maybe none of them. Why aren't you so sure that she was unique as a person? :?

Yeah I would have been embarrassed too if I were Marilyn but I think Joan could have exaggerated on Marilyn's behavior since she wasn't a fan of her. :/ I could be wrong though.

OMG! Have you ever thought about seeing Cyndi again? I bet she would remember you too especially since she liked you. :D

lmao. I guess Grace did wear pants nicely. I've always liked her 60's/70's style. Especially what she wore at Woodstock (and her hair!!). It reminds me of something The Sweet Inspirations would wear back in the day too. I can't remember if I saw the photos of her wearing much pink that you were talking about. Hmm.
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:00 pm

Oh yeah, I did hear that. Grace said in that interview that Halloween is her favorite holiday. I don't mind Halloween, but Christmas is my personal favorite. 8) Though during Halloween, you get candy, costumes, and all those awesome old scary movies. So yeah, Halloween is another favorite, alongside Thanksgiving. :mrgreen:

No no, I said that she IS unique, but that I wasn't so sure what exactly it is that makes her unique. Is it her smile? Beauty? Personality? All of the above? I'm not sure. But whatever it is, she sure is a unique person. I love QEII. :)

And yeah, sometimes people will do that. They sort of make someone else they don't like sound worse than they really are. It's kind of like when someone reviews a song that they really love. I often find that when someone has reviewed a favorite song of theirs, that they go a bit overboard on it. Then when you listen to it, you go "Uhm, what was all the fuss about? It's not that great :|" LOL! So yeah. That's what usually happens, I suppose. Maybe Marilyn wasn't as bad as Joan made her out to be, I'm not sure.

I have thought about meeting her again, but I haven't had the money to go to a concert, so...not any time soon, I guess. :P

Grace looked so good in pants. She really wore them well, I wonder why she rarely wore them back in the 60s/70s? She said she usually wore other things. Or maybe I just misquoted her like crazy :lol:.

This is the outfit I'm talking about:

She looks so cute, doesn't she?! She looks like cotton candy.
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby oldblue on Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:04 pm

personally, i think she looks stupid in that outfit. like a middle-aged woman dressing up in something more fit for a 12 year old. pretty pathetic.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby SuperSlick66 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:03 pm

OMG! She looks adorable!!!!!!!!!! Good ol' 80's outfits. ;) I actually want her sunglasses! So far I've wanted every pair shes worn. :shock: I did see that picture before. It was under your uploads that you sent to me.

I love all holidays...the ones I celebrate at least. Christmas is my favorite too. And Halloween always happens to surprise me. :)

Oh! Sorry I didn't read it correctly. :oops: I was wondering why you'd say that about QEII. But you didn't. :D I seriously can't wait to read about her!!! YAY!! Especially now that I know she met Joan.

LMAO!! That happens to me with movies! Casablanca is supposed to be a must see movie but I thought it was boring. :shock: But then a lot of people think my movies are boring so it might be the other way around too. Also Rosemary's Baby is supposed to be one of the most haunting movies ever and I watched it and it was not scary at all. The concept...maybe. But not the movie. Except I do love that movie, it's just not what people say it is.

According to Monroe's autobiography she said that Joan wanted to help her with her style (before she was a mega star) so she went to Joan's place hoping to get some clothes off of Joan becaues she was poor at the time, but that never happened and then Joan told her to call her back and Monroe never did. And Joan was a really loyal person and expected others to be so as well and I think since Marilyn never called her back, that made Joan not like her and then she started to get jealous of her especially when she became a huge star.

But there's also a story about them that supposedly Monroe said on a tape right before she died, but I haven't done enough research to know if it's true but this could be another reason why Joan didn't like her (keep in mind it's a rumor):
"Of her sexual session Joan Crawford, Monroe said, "Next time I saw Crawford, she said she wanted another round. I told her straight-out I didn't much enjoy doing it with a woman. After I turned her down, she became spiteful."

I don't know which to believe.

I guess when Grace wore pants in 60's they were psychedelic ones. :D Like the one on Surrealistic Pillow's cover. One of my favorite things she wore were her military styled jackets! I want one!!!
I just love them!! <3
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Doesn't she look so cute?! Yeah, she is. And I had a pair of sunglasses like hers, but mine broke. And I'm wearing a pair of pajama pants that actually look exactly like the pink ones she's wearing, except mine are blue. I didn't realize that until just now, lol! But she looks so adorable in pink. It really makes her skin look so tan and beautiful. :)

You might like her now that you seem to be so excited about her. She's really lovely and quite funny. She may not be the queen of my country, but she's queen in my heart, I suppose. :)

My Dad keeps telling me to watch all these movies that he just adores. So I do and my god are they boring. And I still have to sit through speeches where he tells me how fabulous it is, then I watch it and I go: :| What? xD But the one movie I do love that there is a lot of hype about is The Godfather. But then again, I'm so curious about the mafia, New York (where my Dad's side comes from :mrgreen:), and anything Italian, so that's more than likely why.

With Monroe and Joan, it's quite possible that both are true. Obviously not at the same time, but I can see both happening. I've actually heard something about that lesbian relationship they supposedly had, though I didn't really think anything of it. I don't know much about them to really judge and say. But I still think it's sort of...well, it's both understandable and unfair that Joan would get mad at her. If someone isn't gay/lesbian for you, you can't hate them for that. And the same with someone who never called you back. I don't know why Marilyn wouldn't call back...meh. lol

Oh yes, I love a woman in uniform. Particularly if said woman is Grace :lol. And I do love those psychedelic pants you're talking about. I really wish I owned them, haha! And those white pants she used to wear, like the ones at Woodstock....those are cool, too. :)
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:50 pm

I'm going to own so many pairs of sunglasses one day. I've been wanting Hepburn's, Grace's, Elvis's and so many other famous peoples. lol I think it's a phase I'm going through. Nice pajamas btw :!: I wanted to use that smiley!

Your dad loves old movies!??! if so..YAY! I can understand why a lot of people don't like them today, considering the technology is so different but I love love love them! Of course I Joan's movies are my favorites. (uh oh, Im starting on old movies, sorry) But I have so many it's a million to list. Silent movies are genius too! Have you seen one before? My cousin thought that movies from the 40's were silent...lmao. :lol: oh my.. :roll:

MARLON BRANDO! He's one of my favorite actors and extremely hot when he was young. I pretty much drooled watching The Wild One. In the Godfather, well I didn't drool, but I loved Brando in it. He's so awesome. Actually everything about that movie is awesome. <3 I think the mafia is interesting too! I used to watch a lot of The Sopranos too and was very interested in speakeasy's and such. That's cool that there's Italian in your blood. I can only wish that for me, actually.

Honestly I don't think Joan was bisexual. There are light stories about her and that but they are so awkward that they don't make much sense. There's also a sex scandal on Elvis and Monroe and they never met! And Monroe said she didn't like sex...it's all so confusing! Anyway back to Joan, she really was a gorgeous person (I mean that towards her personality). Not saying she didn't do anything wrong but I think most of her issues came from being unloved. Really, the only people that loved her at the time were her fans/doggies and that's probably why she was so generous to them. And when Marilyn didn't call her, it probably scared her at first then offended her. But I think she was mainly jealous of the attention when Marilyn became famous. I'll always side with Joan on an argument like that. She seems so misunderstood. :/

I loved her outfit at Woodstock. It seems different than most of Grace's outfits at that time. I couldn't pull it off though lmao.

goodnight
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 am

Haha, thank you! I like my pajamas, too. :mrgreen:

Yeah, my Dad likes old movies, but nothing I find fascinating. It's not that they are boring - they aren't - but they're not my style.
I do like old movies, though. I am a huge fan of Fay Wray, who is sort of...well, when people usually talk of old movie stars, they don't usually talk about Fay Wray. But I love the movies of the 20s and 30s. Silent movies are my favorite. I saw one once and I absolutely adored it. I can't remember the name of it, though. I think silent movies actually leave more to the imagination. Sound, color, voices, and even dialogue if you ignore the words they put on the screen. You can make up your own story. I also think the style of the 20s women is absolutely gorgeous. It's so...I don't know. I just like it a lot.

I haven't seen much of Marlon Brando, but he is so great in that movie! I love Vito Corleone! Especially in the 2nd one when they switch to the early 1900's when Vito was younger. But that movie really made me crave Italian food all week, haha! I didn't think I would like The Godfather, but I really really did. It's...one of my favorites, I'd say. It's very entertaining.

I don't know if she is or not, but I only know I've heard the one story about her and Marilyn. But then again, I sort of take stuff like that very cautiously. Sexuality, of any kind, is sort of a private thing. If someone is gay, lesbian, bisexual, straight, or anything like that, I think they are the ones who should out themselves...not someone else. So no, I take things like that lightly and not as serious. Joan is only Joan. She is all she ever will be. I don't hold her faults against her. I wouldn't want someone to do that to me, so I won't do it to anyone else. :)

Grace didn't seem to really plan her outfits. She seems more natural more than someone who actually had to plan them all out. That is, unless, that she actually made the outfit herself, lol.

And goodnight! haha
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:46 pm

I love the Volunteer vinyl! I just started it...<3 So good!

Old movies are linked to my hip. I love them!!! I looked up to see if I've seen any of Fay Wray's movies and I've seen The Most Dangerous Game which is a twisted movie and I guess she also stars in Queen Bee which is a Joan Crawford movie. I've seen parts of King Kong but I never was able to see the whole thing yet. Which movies are your favorite with her?

Hmm if you haven't seen these old movies you might like them if you ever want to give them a go; The Graduate, Some Like It Hot, Bringing Up Baby, Sunset Blvd, Mildred Pierce, The Birds, Psycho, Gone With The Wind, Breakfast At Tiffany's, I Want To Live, Citizen Kane. These are really popular movies and one's that I love too. So maybe you've seen some of them. :mrgreen:

YaY! So you've seen some silent pictures yourself! My absolute favorite is Metropolis!! Fritz Lang was a genius when it came to directing!!!! I think the acting in silents were really cool, like Charlie Chaplin, Howard Lloyd, Lon Chaney, Joan, Norma Shearer, Greta Garbo's, etc. It was so different since they had to exaggerate everything. But I agree with you, the silents do let your imagination flow. Most of that imagination is taken away from movies today. :P I like the styles from the 20's-60's. :D

My favorite movies by Brando are mainly his famous ones like The Wild One, On the Waterfront, The Godfather and A Street Car Named Desire. Ahh but I can't believe how hot he was when he was young. This picture used to be my background. :) One of my favorites http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Brando,%20Marlon/Annex/Annex%20-%20Brando,%20Marlon_32.jpg I haven't seen all of The Godfathers. I remember the 2nd one a little though. I do have them all...somewhere. Italian movies always make me want some wine. lol on mothers day my mom and i had wine and watched the sopranos together. lol.

Did Grace ever make any outfits? :o
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:39 am

She looks like Andy Pandy in those trousers. (This is the standard comment on vertical stripes.)

Today I was surprised to see a ringer for a teenage Princess Elizabeth behind the counter in the local noodle shop. Nicely toothy and slightly goofy-looking.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:35 am

What is a ringer?
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby nicktecky on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:45 am

ringer, (also 'dead ringer'):

One person very similar in looks to another.

For more detail, Google:" ringer dictionary "
nicktecky

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Ohh, wow, how cool :) lol

Thank you :)
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:42 am

Hmmm, I wish I'd hadn't been away at the beginning of this discussion... I'll answer the original question anyway.

Music is my primary interest. I play bass and guitar, and am now working on both drums and keyboard, and I spend a good amount of time writing lyrics and music for my own songs, which have a tendency to get quite strange. I love learning about music too, both the music I like, and music in general-- I am among a minority who deeply loves theory.

History has been an interest of mine since I was about four. World history, human history, American history, anything... I've gone through phases of numerous. At the moment, I'm most interested in the 20th century. Obviously, the 60s is what I focus on the most, but I end up studying many other decades as well. I find the entire rise of communism very interesting, and have been reading a lot about that recently as well. I took a Latin American History class last year that I really loved, so that's interesting too.

I've loved to write since about 3rd grade or so. I'll do an occasional story, but lyrics and poetry take up most of my time. As for reading, which I do a lot of, I've read 100 Years of Solitude, Love in the Time of Cholera ( both Gabriel Garcia Marquez), Sphere (Michael Crighton), The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath), Brave New World (Aldous Huxley), Eva Luna, House of Spirits ( both Isabel Allende), The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini), five collections of horror stories whose author escapes me, Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas, The Great Shark Hunt (both Hunter Thompson), The Great Gatsby (Kurt Vonnegutt, whose name I cannot spell), and Pride and Prejudice (which I read for school and HATED). That should give you some idea.

Film interests me as well. My favorite movie is The Godfather. Psychology is interesting to me, and I also love some other sciences. I find politics interesting, and also religion, although I am non-religious. Phew. I may think of more later, and further clog the forum.
Last edited by plasticfantastic on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums