Grace Slick Photos

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: Grace Slick Photos

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:54 pm

I think it's amusing that she was so self-conscious about her breast size and the size of her knees. So many people view her as a sex symbol of the 60s, but she didn't even know. :lol: Oh my. Well, she certainly is beautiful, and no, she never needs anything fake. She's great the way she is.
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:03 am

Aww her knees are perfect!! And I did hear her comment on saying she hadn't any breasts, which confused me..because she did. :/ Mind me if you don't like Elvis but he was like that, he hated showing his legs, thought his nose was too big, and even when he was stick thin he thought he was fat. :( They shouldn't be critical of themselves, imo. They are/were gorgeous people.
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:11 am

Grace was/is indeed perfect, in every way, and I'm so glad she didn't go and get tons of plastic surgery like so many people do, because they never look right in their 60s and 70s, they just look weird, sometimes creepy.

It seems most beautiful people (who aren't arrogant) are very critical of themselves. But that just goes to show that they're humble too, and not arrogant. I had no idea Elvis was self-conscious though, that's a surprise.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:31 am

Oh yeah, that is quite a shock to me. He's not at all ugly or fat or any of those things. Neither is Grace. Her breasts are fine for her body. Once, after hearing this comment about how she wanted bigger breasts, I realized how perfect hers fit her own body. She doesn't need big breasts to be beautiful, she already is. Or blonde hair, which is another hang up she had (has?) too.

Many of the most beautiful people never saw themselves that way. It's odd to us, but then I think about my own appearance and I realize that I understand how they feel. We're biased to them because we're attracted to them. They obviously aren't in love with themselves, so it makes them normal. Like ER said. :)
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:46 am

Don't tell me Grace wanted blonde hair!!! I refuse to believe that... Her hair was perfect. Absolutely perfect, so dark and black, and her eyes were so blue, both bright and deep, and fit perfectly. She was a Goddess. And no, big breasts don't mean automatic beauty.

It'd be weird of everyone loved themself. We would've died out millions of years ago. I completely understand why they're self conscious though, I'm always dumbfounded about what they're self conscious about, but I get it. I'm extremely self conscious too, but it always strikes up confusion. I have a feeling self-consious-ness also has something to do with freedom, inner freedom.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby SuperSlick66 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:47 am

Did Grace want to look like Dolly Parton??? jk...She would have broken her back with bigger boobs. :'(
I think Grace is very critical of herself today. She hates the camera and she shouldn't. She's stunning and she aged so so well!! LSD just may be the fountain of youth!
Last edited by SuperSlick66 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:56 am

Grace Slick wanting to be Dolly Parton, that's a silly thought. That would've made an interesting year, if they switched places for a year in, say, 1969-1970, or so. And I also think Grace aged well!
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:07 pm

Yup, Grace wanted blonde hair. Her mother was a big breasted, hourglass-y, blonde woman, and if you've ever read her biography by Barbara Rowes, she mentions how Grace felt her mother was at this unattainable level of beauty. And apparently that she wasn't told she was beautiful enough during that period when we all think we're ugly, I forget exactly though. But yeah, she's very harsh on herself. I think most people look up to their mothers when they're young, want to dress and look like them. But it seemed to have a more negative effect on her, I suppose. Though I think she turned out all right. Look at how many women and men think she's gorgeous, beautiful, and sexy. :)

And yes, she aged beautifully. I want to know what her secret is, but I don't think even she knows that xD. Though as for the camera thing, I have heard many times that older people have trouble with their reflection. It's not necessarily about how attractive they are, it's just that they're not as used to seeing themselves old. They wonder what happened to their reflections. It's kind of like that moment in Titanic when old Rose is holding the mirror and says "...reflection has changed a bit..." If any of that makes sense. :lol:
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:52 pm

I've never read an actual books on Grace which bums me out because I want to badly! Yet it doesn't mean I'm not educated on her. :D But I'm going to have to buy them which isn't bad since I love her and am starting to collect her things anyways. Sadly my library doesn't supply anything with Grace or Jefferson Airplane. With the exception of one CD.

I wish Grace would have set the insecurities aside. I really believe she had perfect form and maintains it today. And I understand what you said about reflections. I've never considered that thought. I bet it's a bit depressing.

Funny how some of the most beautiful people are insecure. As I'm reading my Audrey Hepburn book. She was TERRIBLY insecure. It's one of the worst ones I've read about. It's funny too because after finishing Monroe...she wasn't insecure about herself one bit and I sort of think Hepburn was prettier. So... :roll:
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:56 pm

The Barbara Rowes book was really hard to find, but my friend in New York sent it to me 2 years ago. It's a very insightful book if you're curious about the more emotional side to Grace's life. And there's also a lot more information about her pre-1960s years, as well...like her childhood. That part of her life is so mysterious, anyways, lol.

I mean, I'm sure Grace didn't go through life feeling ugly and miserable. I'm sure she was happy or relatively happy with herself and her life. And given that she had so much sex with people and that she went after a modeling job, I'm sure she didn't see herself as a total ugly duckling either. I guess her insecurity with herself didn't go so far as to debilitate her from doing what she wanted. So I'm not trying to make it out like she sees herself as this horribly ugly person.

Though nowadays, I honestly can't tell you how she views herself. From the sounds of it, she doesn't like it too much, since she hates the camera and says in her autobiography that she sometimes looks in the mirror and goes "Blah!" Though I think compared to many others her age, Grace is supermodel material :mrgreen: :lol:. And she still has that smile that makes me melt. :)
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby oldblue on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 pm

amazon.com will take you to 10 copies starting at $27.00
i remember the ad campaign: The voice that launched a thousand trips.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:45 pm

The raven black hair was dye. Everyone cheats a bit.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:22 am

I think it's cute whenever I see a picture of her from '68 or something and I see some gray hairs. It makes me wonder what her hair would have looked like if she let it go...hmm. lol.
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:25 pm

ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:29 pm

*sighs*....I love her. :oops: Her facial expressions are epic. And beautiful. And sooooo very cute. *sighs again*
PsychedelicRabbit

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions