Your Other Obsessions/ Interests

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Your Other Obsessions/ Interests

Postby SuperSlick66 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:36 pm

Out of curiosity, does anyone else have any other obsessions/interests? (hopefully) :wink:

For instance; Elvis Presley, Grace Slick and Joan Crawford are my main obsessions. I go crazy for all three of them.
Then there's classic film directors & movies, photography, musical instruments, the 1920s-1970's; flappers, the depression, WWII-the holocaust, uproar for rock n' roll, the Golden Age, civil rights movement, Woodstock, politics and ideas from 1968 and 1969. Much vintage artwork interests me, as well as style. Also I love to read (auto)biographies. I just finished a Monroe one yesterday and I started a Audrey Hepburn one today. Emm, That's all I can really think of at the moment.

Anyone else??? I'm sure you guys are much more fascinating than me.
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Re: Your Other Obsessions/ Interests

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:45 pm

That sounds like a fascinating mixture of interests to me, a lot wider than my own. I idolize music from the 1960s and 1970s, especially extremely rare music no one has heard of, a list of all the rare psychedelic and progressive bands just from the time 1968 to 1973 that I know would probably take up several pages, let alone other eras and genres. I also play bass, guitar and write songs and poetry, and I write tons of fake biographies and draw often.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 pm

SuperSlick66 wrote:Then there's classic film directors & movies, photography, musical instruments, the 1920s-1970's; flappers, the depression, WWII-the holocaust, uproar for rock n' roll, the Golden Age, civil rights movement, Woodstock, politics and ideas from 1968 and 1969. Much vintage artwork interests me, as well as style.

All that, actually. :D

I also am VERY in love with anything dealing with England and Queen Elizabeth II (whom I just ADORE!). I also love music - anything from slavery songs-1970s (+ Cyndi Lauper :D), I find worthy of my time. Oh, and I love Cyndi Lauper, she's one of my first loves, lol xD. I met her once, actually. :) Anyway, I also love books. Any book that deals with something mysterious or coming-of-age or something historical or...oh, I don't know, I LOVE BOOKS. And I also have this weird thing with picking out baby names. And I'm completely nuts for Frasier. It's my favorite TV show. :D
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:07 pm

I'm a Susan Calvin. I love machines. They are the closest thing I have to children.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby SuperSlick66 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:13 pm

EmbryonicRabbit68: That's cool that you play bass! I always wanted to learn. I play guitar. White Rabbit is soo fun to play on it. <3 And which bands are on your top 5 for best psychedelic music?

PsychedelicRabbit: lol we have much in common. I don't know much about Cindy Lauper though. I know few songs and her appearance but that's it. You're luck that you've met an idol. I would melt if I met Grace and another idol of mine, Loretta Lynn. They are just ideal people to me. One more thing...I think I'll get a book on Queen Elizabeth II. I haven't read on a Queen before. :D so thank you. :D
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:30 pm

Cyndi Lauper doesn't have an (auto)biography out, but if you want, check her out sometime. She's really interesting. She's lead a very interesting, creative, fun life. Though not always easy. She's a great woman, I adore her. :)
Oh, and if you ever met Grace, and if you're anything like me, you won't say anything to her. I thought of all these things I would say to Cyndi before I met her, and I never said anything to her. I just stared at her. And I'm almost 30% positive I may have gone a bit cross-eyed. :mrgreen: I would get sooooo nervous if I ever met Grace. Aside from Cyndi, Grace is my other love, lol. :)

And I also looooove Queen Elizabeth II. A lot of people think she's boring. But I find people's internal emotional lives more interesting than anything. I'm always fascinated by it.

Which reminds me, I also love psychology. It's another passion of mine. :D

We do have a lot in common! :D This is great! What else do you like? :D
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:42 pm

To SuperSlick's question about psychedelic rock: Psychedelic, that's hard... It's hard to define. Plus, Jefferson Airplane can't necessarily be called completely psychedelic, they're too diverse and uncategorizable. But for a top five of psychedelic music though, it'd look something like this--
The 13th Floor Elevators, Cream, Pink Floyd, Blue Cheer & The Doors
But that doesn't do it justice, I feel like I'm cheating not adding JA. I could also add the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Andromeda, Hawkwind, Bachdenkel... the list goes on.

You both seem to have a nice conversation going on, I wish I could add more to it...
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:50 pm

ER, have you ever heard The Seeds? I love that song of theirs, Chocolate River. :D It's one of my favorite 60s garage band psychedelic songs. :)

And join in whenever you feel like it. :)
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:54 pm

I have heard about The Seeds, but I haven't actually heard them yet. I'll check that out though, thanks for suggesting it! I've recently become obsessed with the Small Faces, but I'm sure you've probably heard them.

And I know little to nothing about Cyndi Lauper or Queen Elizabeth II...
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:57 pm

Actually, I haven't. I only know about the rare psychedelic music posted on http://psychedeliclion.blogspot.com/. That's a great website that you might consider checking out if you haven't already. :D
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:01 am

Just heard Chocolate River - Very trippy! I like them, and I think if I give them some more listens, I'll like them more. And I've been to psychedeliclion a lot, that's where I've discovered a lot of the stuff I know, it's a great site. As for the Small Faces, you should really hear Itchycoo Park, that's my new favorite song. Tin Soldier is amazing too.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby SuperSlick66 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:08 am

lol sorry for intruding?

jk

I'll dig into that list you gave me EmbryonicRabbit68. :D I LOVE THE DOORS...or Jim, i think he's sexy. :o

could i ask your names? I'm noelle. :mrgreen:

And PsychedelicRabbit, I love vinyls. I forgot to add that. When i die I hope to have thousands of them!
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:17 am

Hello Noelle! My name is Erik. I sometimes spell it as Eriik though, pronounced the same. And I love vinyls too, if I may add that. I've got around 200 now...

The Doors are fully embedded in my blood! My parents played them so much when I was little, they're one of my favorite bands. Riders On The Storm was my first favorite song.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:22 am

Hello Noelle! I'm Patricia. I'm an 18 year old girl who muses the meaning of life whenever I get the off chance. :mrgreen:

And slurpees are my weakness. Just today I had a surprise at WalGreens. They put in new icee machines there...and lo and behold, they had my favorite flavor - COCA-COLA. Needless to say, I danced out of there like a kid on Christmas morning.

And The Doors! Oh how I love them. They're the best band to listen to when you want to contemplate the earth, life, death, and anything deep and thought-provoking like that. :)

Listening to Small Faces now. It's interesting. I love the guitar in this song. It's very bouncy. HAHA. This is fantastic. :)
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:36 am

I know, I just recently got into the Small Faces, they are indeed fantastic. I agree with your thoughts on The Doors too! They really make you think about things, and not like most music does. There was really no one like them at that time, they were so unique...

I'm sorry I forgot to add to Noelle's comments about bass and guitar earlier. That's really cool you play guitar! I also love to play White Rabbit, I wish I could play the guitar part though. I play guitar often, but I'm a much better bassist and lyricist. I'm also completely self taught.

And since we're all getting to know each other, I might as well tell you that I'm the youngest here at 15 years old (16 in August), a boy, and if I had a nickel for every time I've been mistaken for a girl, I'd be able to afford all the thousands of rare records and vintage musical instruments I drool over. I've also entertained the thought I'm mildly insane.

It's a bit random and probably useless I said all that, but I'm glad I did.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Next

Return to Open Forums