Best JA related studio-albums after/at 1970

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Best JA related albums around 1970

Manhole (Grace Slick, 1974)
8%
Bark (JA, 1971)
8%
Blows Against The Empire (Kantner, 1970)
47%
Baron von Tollbooth (Kantner/Slick/Frieberg, 1972?)
8%
Sunfighter (Kantner/Slick, 1971)
8%
Long John Silver (JA, 1972)
19%

Total votes : 36

Re: Best JA related studio-albums after/at 1970

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:53 pm

"Holding Together" is perfect, because it's a wonderfully sloppy performance that just manages to hold together.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby PrayForPlagues on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:28 am

It has a really lucid, dreamy feel that I've only heard Paul create.

Who else is curious about what the original Volunteers follow-up would've been like? I've read that it was supposed to have live recordings of 'Mexico' and 'Have You Seen the Saucers?' but apart from that I'm curious as to what it would have been. I would imagine 'Emergency' would've been on it.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:00 am

Oh, I've fathomed that very deeply, and from what I've gathered, it would've been an amazing album. Emergency definitely would've been on it, probably You Wear Your Dresses too. I know Been So Long would've been on it, because that was recorded during the same sessions as Mexico and Saucers. Uncles Sam Blues would've been on it too, and maybe bits of Blows, like Starship and Let's Go Together, or A Child is Coming. Definitely Mau Mau... I know there's other songs from that time that were also recorded and have yet to see the light of day. I've even considered what the album art would've been, and I think it's in the lyric booklet that came with the vinyl copy of Blows, that cool alien-looking head that Grace drew, with the Jefferson Airplane logo-like thing in the top left corner. It would've been a very cool album...
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby PrayForPlagues on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Yeah, I think 'Starship' would be contender for being on the album. I think it's possible 'Bludgeon of a Bluecoat' could've been on it, and maybe 'Whatever the Old Man Wants'.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Possibly, but that's to say that Joey Covington was on it. I think one of the reasons the album never made it was because Spencer left, he was the glue. Without him everyone went off to do their own thing, and thus the end came, despite some great music in the process. And who knows, they might've made this album and let Paul do Blows anyway. That would've been nice...
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby redrabid on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:11 pm

As much as I love these "What If" games, let's stick to the facts.
In an article about JA in Rolling Stone ca. 1970 the reporter (Ed Ward? Ben Fong Torres?) advised the readers to buy the single "Saucers"/"Mexico","because the word is, that there won't be an album for quite some time". See also Tamarkin p.216: "With no new album on the horizon" (early 1970) and p.222: "With no immediate plans for the Airplane" (mid 1970). The main reason was that JA was re-negotiating its contract with RCA at the time. So there isn't a long lost album between "Volunteers" and "Bark". But in the "JA What If" game we dreamed up some great JA albums from the songs on those side projects, didn't we?
Spencer Dryden was never the glue of the group. On the contrary, his position in the band was always precarious. After his affair with Grace Slick ended (1968), the group immediately started a search for a new drummer. Marty Balin contacted Joey Covington already in 1968! Luckily for us and JA, Spencer had a lot of staying power. Joey's drummimg nor his songs did fit JA well.
redrabid

Postby PrayForPlagues on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Not to burst your bubble, but to quote an interview with Paul from February 1971

'We're giving RCA another record, and that should finish them. Saucers and Mexico will be on it, probably live versions; Marty has a couple of songs, Joey Covington's got a song called Bludgeon the Bluecoats -- social protest.'

Sounds like an original idea of what BARK was supposed to be. the idea must've been scrapped quickly. So perhaps, this 'long lost album' is what Bark was originally supposed to be.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby redrabid on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Yes, I agree with that.
And then Marty left, changing everything again.
redrabid

Postby PrayForPlagues on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:10 pm

here's the full article (it's actually a great read):

http://www.airplane.freeserve.co.uk/int ... antner.htm
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby SuperSlick66 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:09 pm

Hmm....I'd say Long John Silver. I love a lot of songs from that album.
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby PrayForPlagues on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Alright, I have to admit Baron von Tollbooth has grown on me recently. Not all of it, just certain songs. I've gotten to really love 'Harp Tree Lament', 'Across the Board', and 'Sketches of China'. HTL is really pretty, but it definitely is not something I would expect on a PK oriented album. 'Across the Board' reminded me of 'Hey Fredrick' as far as the lyrics subjects go, and 'Sketches of China' really drew me in with the opening chords on the 12 string.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby plasticfantastic on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:29 pm

I do rather like Baron Von Tollbooth. I have to be in the right mood, but when I am, it's great. I do love that 12-string, you're right-- it is great.

I do wonder how David Freiberg ended up as a vocalist, just in general. Not to say his voice was bad, I don't think that, but I do wonder: In the Quicksilver Messenger Service, he was a really fantastic bass player. It seems odd that he'd switch.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby PrayForPlagues on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Eh, I think Freiberg's vocals work on the BVT stuff, but he sounds really strained and out of place on Last Flight. Perhaps it was just that performance and he was tired, but his vocals on 'Volunteers' are really annoying. He was no equivalent to Marty.

In recent years he has sang with Jefferson Starship, but not played bass. Paul Kantner has even emphasized that many of the Airplane's songs don't work without a bassist. I guess David is more interested in singing.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:41 pm

I said Manhole. I love that album. Especially since "Come Again? Toucan" is on it. That's got to be my favorite Grace song out there. It's fabulous.
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby MilkTrain on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:08 am

all of them! i love 30 seconds, a killer "Milk Train" on that album. I love eat Starch Mom and Pretty as you feel. One of my fave ever Grace songs is "Fat" off BVTATCN
I was in SF in 1988, i tayed in the Haight and a bought a copy of sunfighter and Bless its Pointed Little Head from a seconf=d hand store and i walked around with my sony walkman listening to " MIllion" then rewind then listen then rewind for about 3 days! I love that song Paul and Grace at their best. So im gonna say "Sunfighter" for me, it means so much.

I love the line "No more room here to fuck around like we did before" Grace screamed it out way back then and we are still fucking with this planet. She also said "the human dream doesnt mean shit to a tree" and it is true you know.We always consider that its OUR planet and that we should come before everything else. This planet and those trees are going to have the last laugh and it serves us right.

My friends keep telling me about the latest music, i couldnt be less interested because i have the JA and its offshoots and im certain that that is enough! so lucky!
MilkTrain

Previous

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions