Which year of music is your favorite?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Which year of music is your favorite?

Postby plasticfantastic on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:42 pm

A nearly impossible question, I realize, but nonetheless an interesting one: If you were only to listen to music released in one specific year, year would it be?

I would most definitely say 1968, although as I said, the choice is nearly impossible. My reason?

Well, 1968 marked the release of Crown of Creation, The Beatles (also known as the White Album), The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society (The Kinks), Easter Everywhere (The Thirteenth Floor Elevators), A Saucerful of Secrets (Pink Floyd), The Madcap Laughs (Syd Barrett), Electric Ladyland (Jimi Hendrix), Waiting For the Sun (The Doors), Anthem of the Sun (The Grateful Dead), S.F. Sorrow (The Pretty Things), Shine on Brightly (Procol Harum), Quicksilver Messenger Service (eponymous), White Light/White Heat (The Velvet Underground), and Wheels of Fire (Cream), among many others I like very much, but don't remember off the top of my head. Whew...

So what would your year be? This is a rather odd question, perfectly theoretical in nature, but it's a rather interesting thing to think about.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Re: Which year of music is your favorite?

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:20 pm

Actually, I really have thought about starting a topic just like this recently, although narrowing it down to 1967, 1968, 1969, the best years for psychedelia, I think.

Yes, that is a nearly impossible question, I've thought about it thoroughly, with runners up of 1969, 1970 and 1968, I might say my year is 1972, which might just surprise many. My reasoning is: Long John Silver (I don't care, I love that album), Dark Side of The Moon (Pink Floyd toured it through '72, at least), Thick As A Brick (Jethro Tull), Machine Head (Deep Purple), Burgers (Hot Tuna), Demons & Wizards/Magician's Birthday (Uriah Heep), Argus (Wishbone Ash), Harvest (Neil Young), Fragile (Yes), Trilogy (E.L.P), Seventh Sojourn (Moody Blues), Vol. 4 (Black Sabbath), Made in England (Atomic Rooster), Muswell Hillbillies (Kinks), Squawk (Budgie), Bulletproof (Hard Stuff), Octopus/Three Friends (Gentle Giant), Can't Buy A Thrill (Steely Dan), III (Black Widow), and I believe there'd still be time to catch shows from The Who, King Crimson, the Dead, Guess Who, Genesis, Stooges, MC5, Pink Fairies, Buffalo, Thin Lizzy and many, many others others. And yes, I am well aware that list will make many here very uncomfortable.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby usedtobebabson on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:22 am

I'd have to say '64 to '75, was the best decade and a year for Music. Of course my favorite years would be '67 to '72. I can't break that down further to any single year. It is truly impossible for me.
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:37 pm

It is nearly impossible. With American rock music, there's the psychedelic "eureka!" period from 1966 to early 1967, but the peak might have been around 1968-9, before the inspiration faded. In other countries, Germany for example, the best psychedelic records were made in the early 70s.
Last edited by Susan Butcher on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby PrayForPlagues on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:38 am

Yeah I agree with Susan Butcher- the psychedelic period in other countries started later and ended later- (Os Mutantes from Brazil was good and well up into 1973 I think).

But about my favorite year, I think that's impossible for me to choose. I really love the work from 1967, but I really like how things had changed and progressed in 1969.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby plasticfantastic on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:23 pm

P4P, you make a good point. It's really interesting how much things changed between '67 and '69. A lot of the initial optimism of the movement (at least from my standpoint) seemed to have gone. Compare "Won't You Try/Saturday Afternoon" with "Wooden Ships." Acid, incense, and balloons to death, horror, and war. Oddly though, both are about freedom.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:16 pm

Whenever freedom does come into the matter, both sides are always there. You need them to balance out, there's no way it's just going to be nice and flowery, and it's pointless to have the dark side without something good to believe in. That's what made it so special, the balance. I think I changed my mind, I'd have to live in 1969.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:46 pm

You're right about the balance of light and dark. I prefer a mixture of inspiration and sadness, rather than an anger that blocks the light.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby usedtobebabson on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:16 am

OK I'm gonna go with '69 to. Perfect balance of light and dark for me. Tanglewood, Woodstock and Drafted. Quit my job for the summer and lived it up. Went to boot camp on September 16th, 3 weeks after Woodstock.

'68 was a close second, with Hair, Hendrix live twice, Janis and Big Brother live twice, tripping the summer away at Hampton beach in new Hampshire in a cabin called Tiny Tim.
usedtobebabson

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Babson, I feel like I'm talking to a part of history when I respond to you on here... I envy you, so much. I was still an unrealized part of my ancestry's bloodline in 1968-69.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby usedtobebabson on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:27 am

I've said it somewhere before ER, We were the "chosen" ones. Well, it feels like that sometimes, despite all the darkness, which is always gonna be there anyways, and we even put a nice twinkle on some of the dark side, and found out some of the dark side, wasn't dark at all :D
usedtobebabson

Postby oldblue on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:57 pm

usedtobebabson wrote:I've said it somewhere before ER, We were the "chosen" ones. Well, it feels like that sometimes, despite all the darkness, which is always gonna be there anyways, and we even put a nice twinkle on some of the dark side, and found out some of the dark side, wasn't dark at all :D

and that some of the light wasn't light at all. funny how that happens
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Return to Open Forums