Hey Folks, Yeah You, You F*****s!

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Hey Folks, Yeah You, You F*****s!

Postby SaturdayAfternoon on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:30 am

Hey Folks,
I'm new to the scene, just thought you mind be interested in hearing about a freak like me.

I live on Mother Earth in a place too damn far from San Fransico in a place called Australia.

I have been tuning in to the psychedelic sounds of Jefferson Airplane for about 2 years now after blowing my mind after first hearing 'Somebody To Love'.

I am an Insane fan of all things psychedelic, folk, rock and 60's.

I have long hair.

I am a young, diehard 16 year old fan of the Airplane.

I haven't taken drugs... yet.

I want to go to San Fransico and wear flowers in my hair.

I am currently writing a fiction book about a girl and her band who play their psychedelic sounds in the simple times of the 1960s.

I love all the members of JA, man. Jack's long, free hair, the way he looks over the frames of his glasses, Jorma's insane guitar work and free spirited mind, Spencer's drumming on 'She Likes Funny Cars', Grace's beauty, her free spirit and how great of a role model she is, and Paul, well I am just in love with Paul!

I am obviously a Hippie.

I am currently listening to Wont You Try/Saturday Afternoon, won't you listen too?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP77jXqjHlU&feature=related

This is my favourite Airplane picture here:
http://www.urbanraven.com/pictures/sa/byob/JeffersonAirplane.jpg

Now tell me about yourselves F*****s ; )

Peace.
SaturdayAfternoon.
"Go ride the music" - Jefferson Airplane
SaturdayAfternoon

Re: Hey Folks, Yeah You, You F*****s!

Postby plasticfantastic on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:29 pm

Glad to see another young fan on here.

I live in the concrete-and-tourists madness that most call Los Angeles, but I truly belong in San Francisco. I'm a fourteen year old girl.

I found Jefferson Airplane one year ago, and it's changed my life. I'd loved 60s and 70s music since I was a baby, but it was my discovery of the San Francisco sound that made me want to learn guitar. Now, I've taught myself to sing in a very 60s way, and I write what some call very 60s songs. Several are on youtube.

I'm quite a fan of psychedelic, 60s, delta blues, occasional 70s, Pink Floyd (who transcend basically any genre...) and blues-rock, although I will often foray into other things.

I would very much like to read your book. At the moment, I am working on writing one, a highly theoretical piece of fiction about what would have happened had the youth revolution truly happened in the way some expected it would, and the new society's eventual fall into chaos and hypocrisy.

I got to meet Jorma back in February after I went to see him (the whole story is in the topic from February, Jorma at McCabe's, 2-19-10), after he mentioned the cover I did of Hesitation Blues (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyIl5XNaSA) in his set. We've been in touch since then, and I send him all the new stuff I do. He has been hugely supportive, and I'll always thank him for that.

When asked to describe me in one word, three of my friends simultaneously said "hippie." Yeeaah... well... I suppose that's not much of an exaggeration.

Even more so than just Jefferson Airplane, music in general is my life. I'm not saying I'm any kind of prodigy, or anything, because I am quite far from it, but there is nothing in the world I love more. Whether it's writing it, playing it, learning about the people and things behind it, or just listening to it (BUT NOT DANCING!!), I can't really think of anything that gives me greater joy.

Not on youtube at the moment... my sound has been working oddly. I'm listening to Neil Young though.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby SaturdayAfternoon on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Man, plasticfantastic, Thats so damn groovy!

It is so interesting hearing stories of peoples encounters with the Airplane members, and what an experience you had! Meeting Jorma, one of the most groovy people in the world and the most insane guitarist and having him recognise you from amongst the hundreds of cover versions of his songs and you still keep in touch... Man!

I'm gonna learn guitar someday. I was also inspired by Jorma's far out guitar work. I am counting my dollars and am going to try get a place at FurPeace Ranch in a few years, you know, after a start playing. I would just love the experience, being in a beautiful environment with people who love music as much as I do. It would be so fucking mind blowing to meet Jorma there too. But man, you've already done that, haven't you?!

I think my 6 favourite Jorma songs (In no order) are:
- Uncle Sam Blues (Especially the Woodstock version)
- Hesitation Blues.
- Ice Cream Pheonix.
- The Last Wall of the Castle.
- She Has Funny Cars.
- Embryonic Journey.
That'll probly change in the next few days though, depending on which album i'm listening to.

I'm new to Hot Tuna, do you have any recommendations of songs I should check out?

Right now I am listening to Ice Cream Pheonix.

Peace.
Saturday Afternoon.

(P.S. It was groovy meeting you, even cooler that you too are a young Airplane fan! You are my world!)
SaturdayAfternoon

Postby plasticfantastic on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:36 pm

Yeah, meeting him was definitely the high point of my life... it was crazy.

Oh, I'd love to go to the Fur Peace Ranch. My parents said they'd let me once I get good enough. It would be amazing... His guitar work and songwriting as really inspiring to me. And he's a really nice guy, so I'm sure it would be a great experience.

I love all the songs you said, and would have to add Killing Time in the Crystal City, among others he did solo. And Third Week at the Chelsea, which may very well be my very favorite of his. I'm not nearly good enough to play it yet, but once I do, it will be very fun, I bet. And also, I love Ice Cream Phoenix-- very underrated.

You should definitely learn guitar. It totally changed my life, and for the better. It gives me something to do, which I often desperately need. I've just been teaching myself, and it's been really gratifying.

And on the Hot Tuna recs, I would start with Double Dose, which is a live album. It was my first one of theirs, and a really good introduction. At least I think so.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also love Trial by Fire quite deeply.
plasticfantastic

Postby SaturdayAfternoon on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Groovy, Ill definitely check those songs out!

I watched your video on YouTube and I really dig it! You have a lovely voice, very cut-out for blusier tracks, I love the rugged sound of your voice, a little like our good friend Janis! I think your guitar playing is really great, your doing fab! Keep it up my friend! Maybe ill see you at FurPeace someday!

I also have to comment on your Jacket in the video. Man, would I love a groovy jacket like that! Did you pick it up from a vintage store or something? Its really far out! I have been looking around for one like that for months but it's pretty hard, especially in Australia. I think ill have to give eBay a shot.

I can't help but ask, Is Jorma as groovy as his sound? When you met him did you feel the vibes I feel when I listen to his talking guitar and sound?

Also, Have you been to Haight-Ashbury?

Peace.
SaturdayAfternoon.
SaturdayAfternoon

Postby plasticfantastic on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:20 am

Thanks so much! I'm glad you like it. More will be coming shortly-- another blues cover will be next, although I have a number of originals up already, if you want to check those out too! Ahhh, Janis... the years I've spent idolizing her voice have been good years. Thanks for saying I sound like her!

Actually, I was given that jacket as a gift. Among my most prized possessions. I'm sure you'll be able to find one somewhere. Ebay would probably be a good place to look.

YES, Jorma most certainly is just as awesome as he seems. He was down-to-earth, respectful, and very chill.

I have been to Haight Ashbury. It's a cool place, really not all that much like it used to be (some boutiques and such now in between record stores and head shops), but it's still an interesting area, very colorful.
plasticfantastic

Postby SaturdayAfternoon on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:52 am

Man, That's really groovy! At my school we have a dress up day on our last day of high school which is in a few years time and I am going as a Hippie (Surprise, Surprise) and am hoping to find some clothes a little more far out so I can freak people out! Something similar to your jacket would be cool for my everyday things though! I would prefer to have something vintage with a history of hugging hippies bodies rather than making my own clothes, you know?

It's cool to hear you've been listening to Janis for years, I was never really subjected to 1960's music (especially psychedelic music, it's too freaky for my oldies) so I have only just began listening to Janis and it's beautiful, you can feel her emotion. So many wasted years! I just bought Cheap Thrills the other day but have been filling my head with JA for the past few days so I have had no time to listen to it, yet. I know it will be beautiful though, everything Janis is!

Speaking of, this is one my favourite photos of Janis, just being Janis:
http://www.nndb.com/people/212/000022146/janis.jpg
She's beautiful, man!

Do you have any pictures of her tatoos? I have only seen the one on her wrist, but its really vague.

Listening to The Ballad of You, Me and Pooniel.

Peace.
Saturday Afternoon.
SaturdayAfternoon

Postby plasticfantastic on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:03 am

That sounds awesome... Well, I hope you find one. That would be amazing to TOTALLY blow people's minds. Yeah, I wear that jacket all the time. And my army surplus jacket with buttons and patches all over it, that's good too.

Yeah, I was raised on the Beatles, Harry Nilsson, Bob Dylan, and stuff like that, and then, as I said in some other topic, I eventually was shown the Who, the Kinks, and Janis, and then from there I found the Doors and then San Francisco. It was a long and complicated journey...

Oh Janis... great photo, thanks. I've always loved this one: http://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/ima ... ding's.jpg

I don't have any pictures of those, although I have looked... someday, maybe, I'll find one.

Listening to a strange playlist. At the moment, Fairport Convention, "and who knooooooooooooooows where the time goooooooooooooes..."
plasticfantastic

Postby SaturdayAfternoon on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:31 am

I like that photo, I didn't have that one and I really love it. I don't know the band your listening to, but it sounds interesting.

Janis's tattoo is on that favourite picture of mine on her left wrist. I found the website I saw it on. It's a pretty good Janis site, some groovy things you might wanna check out:
www.janisjoplin.net.

I too like the Beatles, I got into them before Jefferson Airplane. That's how I got into 60's stuff. I think it was good in a way, you know, learning about musical freedom and revolution and culture and things.

I haven't heard much Dylan, as much as Rolling Stone tells me to, but not right now, maybe when I can be fucked. You know how it is!

Peace.
SaturdayAfternoon.
SaturdayAfternoon

Postby plasticfantastic on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:44 am

Yeah, Fairport Convention. British folkrock. Their singer is Sandy Denny, and they're quite good. I'm just starting to get into them. But now I'm listening to the Kinks instead.

Thanks for the Janis site! Always good to know about those. It's such a tragedy she died so young. It's hard to imagine what she could've accomplished.

I don't know a huge amount of Dylan, but I know quite a bit. The Beatles though, I'm a huge fan. I've got even unreleased stuff and alternate versions of things, and stuff like that. My dad is the same way.
plasticfantastic

Postby SaturdayAfternoon on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:24 am

You couldn't be more right about Janis. She had so much to live for, she was having a good ride. Same goes with Jim and Jimi. Man, I miss them all.

I think I would like Dylan, I love protest songs and folk, I guess that's why I love the Airplane. I like 'Blowin' in the Wind', especially the Joan Baez version and 'Like a Rolling Stone'.

That's groovy that you have some uncommon Beatles things, I have quite a few Beatles records, mostly first pressings, I like the fact that someone got to enjoy their music when it was brand new. I think my favourite Beatles album is 'Revolver'.

Peace.
SaturdayAfternoon.
SaturdayAfternoon

Postby usedtobebabson on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:54 am

You 2 have really hit it off! Saturdayafternoon, you will love Cheap Thrills. It is my favorite. Had a pleasant time reading your dialog. It's so uplifting to see young, intelligent folks like you getting turned on to the mind blowing music of the best time in the history of the world. You are not the first to say PF sounds like Janis 8)
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby SaturdayAfternoon on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:50 am

Hey man,
Thanks for tuning in, it's really beautiful meeting you folks, you guys are pretty groovy people.

It's great you love Cheap Thrills usedtobebabson, I just love the album art, especially the cartoon of Janis, screaming into the microphone! I really dig Janis singing 'Piece of my Heart' at Woodstock, and of course 'Ball and Chain' at Monterey and it would be cool to hear some original stuff too. And it's Hell's Angels approved, what more could you ask for? (A Mercedes-Benz!)

Were you around for "the best time in the history of the world"?
Do you own Cheap Thrills on Vinyl?

Right now I'm listening to Jorma and Jack (or sometimes Janis) jamming to 'Hesitation Blues', Thanks for introducing me to this far out song plasticfantastic, it's blowin my mind!
SaturdayAfternoon

Postby plasticfantastic on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:27 pm

You are very welcome. Enjoy the song, and have a great time discovering Janis. I'm sure you've heard that the album considered her masterpiece is her final one, Pearl. I have actually memorized just about every bar of this album. Up there with After Bathing at Baxter's, Dark Side of the Moon, Disraeli Gears, and all the other albums I've nearly internalized...

I do own Cheap Thrills on vinyl. One of my favorite covers. It's especially crazy living in LA, passing the same Barney's Beanery that's mentioned on the cover.
plasticfantastic

Postby starfire II on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi, PF-
If you're just getting into Fairport Convention, you should check out Liege & Leaf (if you haven't already). It's a truly great, timeless record. Also, try and get hold of a copy of I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight, the 1974 LP by Richard and Linda Thompson. The CD re-release is worth having as it contains a couple of really good live tracks.
Happy listening.
starfire II

Next

Return to Open Forums