Best/worst movie ever

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Best/worst movie ever

Postby redrabid on Wed May 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Ineedabonghit's topic about Rebecca H. made me wonder. Our common love for Jefferson Airplane is about music, sound. But how about image. I haven't seen the movie yet, but Rebecca H. ssems to me, as an ardent JA lover an interesting movie. It is probably not the best movie ever (I'm still thinking about that is), but it can't be the worst movie I have ever seen. The 6 worst movies ever must be the Starwars saga (I just saw "Returnn Of The Jedi"). The best? Maybe (I'm still making my mind up) "Una Giornata Particolare". You American (well english speaking at least) people probably never saw that one, did you?
But I am curious. Name the best movie ever, or the worst, or both, or your reflections.
redrabid

Re: Best/worst movie ever

Postby Hirondelle on Wed May 26, 2010 7:21 pm

mastroianni :oops: ( sei italiana? :o )

uhm, favourites, i guess 'les 400 coups' and 'la haine', both french, coffee and cigarettes and requiem for a dream.
worst.. altough got to say that if u think u've seen the worst movie ever, u'll always find a worse one.. any sci-fi or with damn too many special effects.
Hirondelle

Postby plasticfantastic on Wed May 26, 2010 8:06 pm

In a wonderful way, Plan Nine From Outer Space (Ed Wood, of course...) is among the worst things ever to be even CONCEIVED OF as a movie. Of course, it's bad to the point that it's actually quite fun to watch. Talentless acting, cheap effects, sets that honestly look like they're falling down, a ludicrous plot, and genuinely hilarious dialogue. Did I mention it isn't supposed to be funny? Yeeeah.... it's one of those. Of course, it's become a big cult thing, so I don't know if it qualifies.

As for just unwatchable, I saw this atrocious horror movie not long ago... the dumb and predictable variety. Can't for the life of me remember the title. The movie was about a plane crash, I believe.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed May 26, 2010 9:34 pm

I've walked out of films before, the last time during "Watchmen" when someone handed me a slice of cold pizza during a loving close-up of a heap of raw guts. Really disgusting, and like many these days, a pointless movie to go to if you can read comics. (I was with friends.)

I saw "The War Game" by Peter Watkins when I was a teenager. That was an ordeal to sit through, and I felt pretty shaken afterwards, but I'm glad I didn't chicken out on that one.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Thu May 27, 2010 1:39 pm

It is the world wide well known fact that ''spaghetti'' western is one of the most significant genre in the history of seventh art.It is the rare example when kitsch often outshines the original.An exaggerated typization of characters, emphasized but catchy scenes of violence brought to a ridiculousness and figurative visual and musical style make it irresistible to me.Of course a decadent snob in me screws me in the head with ''film noir''(especially French), Italian neorealism,Ingmar Bergman,Bunuel,Neuer Deutscher Film, British heritage films. But the noodle in me is always vigilant to block the snob to prevail, keeping the balance and providing the good synthesis between two.
okeedoe

Postby Hirondelle on Thu May 27, 2010 3:50 pm

plasticfantastic wrote:In a wonderful way, Plan Nine From Outer Space (Ed Wood, of course...) is among the worst things ever to be even CONCEIVED OF as a movie. Of course, it's bad to the point that it's actually quite fun to watch. Talentless acting, cheap effects, sets that honestly look like they're falling down, a ludicrous plot, and genuinely hilarious dialogue. Did I mention it isn't supposed to be funny? Yeeeah.... it's one of those. Of course, it's become a big cult thing, so I don't know if it qualifies.

As for just unwatchable, I saw this atrocious horror movie not long ago... the dumb and predictable variety. Can't for the life of me remember the title. The movie was about a plane crash, I believe.

As said, movies like Ed Wood are so damn creepy/crappy that are just .... gorgeous!
Hirondelle

Postby usedtobebabson on Thu May 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Best - Conan the Barbarian, Spaghetti westerns, Once upon a time in America, Last of the Mohicans, David Lynch movies, Legends of the Fall, River Runs Through It, Woodstock 40th, Rumble Fish, Deer Hunter, Platoon and Full Metal Jacket.
Worst - Ghengis Kan.
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby jimmie ray on Mon May 31, 2010 12:15 am

usedtobebabson wrote:Best - Conan the Barbarian, Spaghetti westerns, Last of the Mohicans...

Sounds like something I'd say, and get snickering about - although I don't get what the problem with equal opportunity violence is? Gladiator movies are always good,too. Spartacus, with the burning logs rolling over the Romans marching in the checkerboard formation was a hoot. Worst movie was some Jeromy Irons thing where he played creepy twin brothers who were OB/GYN doctors ... "Dead Ringers", maybe? And the "Ewok Adventure" was indeed vomit inducing.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby usedtobebabson on Mon May 31, 2010 9:41 am

jimmie ray wrote:
usedtobebabson wrote:Best - Conan the Barbarian, Spaghetti westerns, Last of the Mohicans...

Sounds like something I'd say, and get snickering about - although I don't get what the problem with equal opportunity violence is?

You must mean Genghis Khan. It had some good philisophical points like equal opportunity violence. Women weren't a battle trophy and at least one was actually a warrior in Khan's new world order. Interesting ending, why do you continue war Genghis? Because it the only way people can be free to trade and cross borders freely, by conquering them all. Problem was the presentation of it in the movie. It wasn't believable to me. The movie just didn't convince me that any of that actually happens the way they showed it.
usedtobebabson

Postby PrayForPlagues on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:32 pm

I really like the French "Fantastic Planet". The story, animation and everything is really great.
I also like "Metropolis", "The Cabinet of Dr Caligari" and "Nosferatu", and pretty much any silent horror film.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby plasticfantastic on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:03 am

Weird coincidence-- I just watched both Metropolis and Dr. Caligari. Nosferatu is fantastic as well, saw that years ago. Silent movies are amazing. They leave so much to the imagination, and yet are so descriptive. The portray emotion in a more raw way than movies do today. Horror movies specifically are something of a lost art.
plasticfantastic

Postby usedtobebabson on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:31 am

Always like that 30s version of Cleopatra with Claudette Colbert.
usedtobebabson

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:14 am

Back when TV was watchable, they used to have an annual compilation special of various silent movies - Keystone Cops, Charlie Chaplian, and many weird early comedy and horror flicks. Good old channel 11 in these parts, where you could find quality entertainment like Abbott and Costello and the Honeymooners regularly. I can't stomach even 10 minutes of the 700 channels of pukeage that we pay 70 something bucks a month for nowadays.
jimmie ray

Postby plasticfantastic on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:57 am

Back in 1979 on The Wall, Roger Waters' lyric on one song went, "I've got thirteen channels of shit on my TV to choose from." I'm too young to remember when there were only thirteen, but boy, was that true...

Old movies are the absolute greatest. Inspired by this conversation, my best friend and I recently had a very awesome Ed Wood marathon. It was almost more than I could take, but wow.... gems of filmmaking in their awfulness.

Back to the topic at hand, I was raised on TV like Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Twilight Zone, The Avengers, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and M*A*S*H. Far better than all the awful reality shows and teen dramas that are on today. And movies-- I loved the old silents. In Los Angeles, there was (and probably still is) among the last remaining silent movie theatres in the world. Some of my earliest memories are of going to see things like Laurel and Hardy or the original Phantom of the Opera with my dad.
plasticfantastic

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:25 am

Actually, when there were 13 channels in the USA, only 2,4,5,7,9 11, and 13 worked - that's really just 7 channels. I only watched channel 11 anyway, unless channel 13 had Monty Python on. Laurel and Hardy in "The March of the Wooden Soldiers" is a favorite they used to air. Have you ever seen the Abbott and Costello TV show? Stinky Joe Besser, Mr. Botcheegaloop, Susquehanna Hat Company - that was wacked stuff.
jimmie ray

Next

Return to Open Forums