Alexander the Medium

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Alexander the Medium

Postby PrayForPlagues on Fri May 21, 2010 11:00 pm

It's such a beautiful song. It has a very emotional feeling to it. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what it's about?
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Re: Alexander the Medium

Postby usedtobebabson on Sat May 22, 2010 8:47 am

Think it has some bearing on Alexander the Great. Ancient times for sure, anyways. I had never heard it before.
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby redrabid on Sat May 22, 2010 3:16 pm

How to say it without hurting the delicate sensitivities of the latter day Airplane lovers, as I am prone to do it seems: "Alexander The Medium" marks the downfall of Paul Kantner as a songwriter. Dull melody, lyrics that show the detrimental effects of smoking too much pot. But how bad the song may be, it is played magnificenly by the band. It captures the improvisational JA at its best (like the best moments of their performance at Woodstock). Just for that I play it a lot.
redrabid

Postby okeedoe on Sat May 22, 2010 3:19 pm

After a painfull and exhausting effort , still creatively and spiritually constipated, our egomaniac(pseudo intelectual Narcissus) baron v.T. finally dropped an infantile crap .The shit was so big and hard that he couldn't flush it down the toilet so he took it with him , named it ''Alexander The Medium'', spiced it with mysterious mythology and mysticism and put it on the record for JA fans to ponder about the meanings.
Even our divine Grace's backing vocal couldn't palliate the stunning stink of waste product.
okeedoe

Postby redrabid on Sat May 22, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi Okeedoe, we seem to have a connection, a same feeling for timing. I viewed my just posted opinion and there you are! Great. I agree with you. But this turd is played so well. It is the best show of musicianship of the players on LJS.
But I like Paul Kantner, I appreciate his tenacity to keep the Airplane/Starship flying in whatever shape, though I don't like any of the man's compositions since "Sunfighter" and "I Watched The Wolves".
Last edited by redrabid on Sat May 22, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redrabid

Postby okeedoe on Sat May 22, 2010 3:31 pm

You've said it.
Must be off now.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat May 22, 2010 9:40 pm

I don't like it that much myself. It is about somebody, but I've forgotten who. Sorry, that's no help at all is it?

Anyway, Paul's songs on the Slick-Kantner albums were generally better than those on Bark or LJS
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby oldblue on Sun May 23, 2010 1:32 am

cocaine did nothing for the music
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Sun May 23, 2010 10:54 pm

If I may say, I think Alexander The Medium is great. Actually, I love all of Long John Silver, dearly... so sue me.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon May 24, 2010 5:54 am

I wouldn't take you to court over that! LJS has its faults, but it's listenable, as long as you can turn it up loud.
Susan Butcher

Postby starfire II on Thu May 27, 2010 6:03 pm

I'm a fan of LJS too. And hey - every Airplane album has its faults, even Baxter's. (Probably.)
starfire II

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu May 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Yeah, Baxters has its faults. I'm not going to list them, because it would mean I'd have to listen to the second side a couple of times in a row. I think I've already mentioned the pitch-change stuff-up in the cross-fades.
Susan Butcher

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions