Anyone seen the new Alice in Wonderland?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Anyone seen the new Alice in Wonderland?

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon May 10, 2010 1:42 am

Can't recommend it highly enough. Gorgeous, well-acted (Johnny Depp especially), and nicely written to boot. The animation is tastefully used, not to mention beautiful, and the plot is just minimal enough not to crowd the movie. My only complaint is the absence of White Rabbit in the soundtrack, which seems obvious to me, although admittedly, the movie doesn't suffer much without it.

Go ask Alice, I think she'll know...
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Re: Anyone seen the new Alice in Wonderland?

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon May 10, 2010 6:48 pm

Oh, I do really wanna see this eventually, it does seem really interesting. Just don't know where a movie theater is...

And I think the absence of White Rabbit may have been about royalty disputes or something, fitting songs usually don't show up in movies because of that. It's also a rock song after all, and those don't show up in a lot of fantasy movies.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue May 11, 2010 11:15 am

I doubt I'll bother. I've read the book. But I do like Jonathan Miller's not-in-front-of-the-children version of it.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby jimmie ray on Thu May 13, 2010 8:57 am

I prefer old school Disney stuff. Uncle Rhemus and Huck Finn rock, Johnny Depp is an embarrassment to men.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby redrabid on Mon May 17, 2010 2:42 pm

American men, maybe. He sure doesn't look like John Wayne, who was so hilariously ridiculed in the French movie "La Cage Aux Folles" (like so many American re-makes "The Bird Cage" was nowhere near as good as the original movie).
By the way, why do so many american men (even "rockstars") pluck their eyebrows?
redrabid

Postby usedtobebabson on Tue May 18, 2010 7:59 am

American men pluck their eyebrows because they are afraid they might become werewolves :lol:
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby jimmie ray on Tue May 18, 2010 2:17 pm

I happen to have very rigid conceptions of how a man should act, and alot of what I see in the entertainment business, I'd rather not. Nothing wrong with proper hygiene and grooming, but you don't need to go to a spa or wear makeup. Most women don't even need this, actually...
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Tue May 18, 2010 4:16 pm

I don't even get why women pluck their eyebrows...
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby redrabid on Wed May 19, 2010 1:20 am

Nice disappearance act, Okeedoe! But I saw you. You mentioned male skirts. I am the proud owner (and wearer) of such a garment. It looks great. Somehow a skirt accentuates the "squareness" of men. As for rules how to behave for men, I think that a "real" man is not afraid to do whatever he wants, regardless of what others might think of him, Jimmy Ray. Of course, most men are sissies in this aspect.
Johnny Depp is an American hero.
redrabid

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed May 19, 2010 1:56 am

That makes more sense to me. Be yourself, yourself being whatever the hell you want it to be, and feel comfortable with. Otherwise, you fear yourself, and if you can't be comfortable with yourself, how can you be comfortable with anything at all?
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby okeedoe on Wed May 19, 2010 8:01 am

I didn't mean to ''disappear'',Red.I only meant that I was spoiling Lily's topic. I,m the humble owner and wearer of a few trousers, mostly jeans..As far as I am concerned you could wear thongs and garter belt with a German helmet on your ass(I like German helmets) or fishnet body stocking with a cowboy hat( My ex wife could write a manual about that stuff).It wouldn't bother me.Everyone should scratch their itch .Being a tolerant man I have no problems with such things.I have never fitted to some of the retrograde,inflexible hypocritical bourgeois norms which are often a cover for weaknesses, incapacities or cowardness.Ego dystonic homosexuals are good example for that kind of mimicry.They constantly have to prove themselves to community to be straight.It must be a terrible and the most sad way to waste your life constantly denying your own self.
So wear your make up and pantyhose with pride,dear.<heheh>

Looking from the esthetic point of view perhaps skirts just don't suit you because you are too old.Have you considered a gowns?

( you dirty old bugger) lol

Edited 2 times in total .that counter lies
Last edited by okeedoe on Wed May 19, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
okeedoe

Postby usedtobebabson on Wed May 19, 2010 8:22 am

Well, at 60, I'm a hairy guy (saw the play hair 4 times). Now I have what they refer to as a unibrow, which is fine with me except when the moon is full :lol:
However I do get a wild grey or black hair on my eyebrows here and there and if I don't pluck them out (the wild ones ones), they poke me in the eye.
So I pluck my eyebrows because it's better than a poke in the eye :roll:
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby redrabid on Wed May 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Don't worry about the esthetics of my looks, Okeedoe. I am a sharp dresser. I wear the black skirt with a silvergrey D&G jacket over a darkgrey and silvergrey striped shirt or a black T-shirt with a silver print. Black boots finish this outfit. It proves to be irresistible to lots of women (and some men too). So if you are desparate for a date, you know what to buy.
Don't expect any advice on cosmetics from me though. All the make-up and parfums in the bathroom belong to my partner, unless you count the shower gel and the shaving cream.
This topic is beginning to look like an issue of Vogue, don't you think, first a review of the latest movies, than an article on Johnny Depp and now fashion news and how-to pluck-your-brows.
redrabid

Postby okeedoe on Wed May 19, 2010 5:48 pm

What can I say ? You're a real dandy,Red.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Can't see what's odd about a man wearing makeup if he's an actor.

I'm a reactionary scruff when it comes to clothes. I wear things till they fall apart, then some. My favourite winter boots are forty years old and may not last much longer, which makes me sad.

This is bending the topic a bit, but I've just seen a picture of someone who I went to school with who's now a moderately famous women's fashion designer with a handsome face and a Hollywood tan. What on earth has happened to him? Where's the mince-meat complexion, the lumpy nose, or the double chin? He used to look like a fat Wonder Warthog!
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Next

Return to Open Forums