The beginnings

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

The beginnings

Postby okeedoe on Wed May 12, 2010 1:05 pm

What are your first memories of pop-rock music? Do you remember the moment when the music for the first time entered your mind to stay there forever? I mistily remember The Shadows instrumentals chiming from the radio set when I was a little boy during the late sixties.I also remember trying to sing''Yellow Submarine'' imitating the English words.
okeedoe

Re: The beginnings

Postby redrabid on Wed May 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Neither my father nor my mother showed any interest in music. The only music I heard when I was young was the music played on the radio before or after newsbroadcasts. It didn't interest me. Nor did the music that one of my cousins (she was roughly 2 years older than I) raved about, Ricky Nelson and those schmalzy singers of the late fifties and early sixties. And then (I was 12 years old) I heard The Beatles "She Loves you". That energy! I was hooked. Certainly when a short while later The Rolling Stones were played on the radio. It was not only the music that thrilled me. The attitude of those bands certainly strengthened my budding non-conformism and like for controversy. There wasn't much pop music to be heard on the radio. But some schoolmates told me about Radio Luxemburg and a life long affair began. I even became a drummer and started my own band (though that was considerably later). Amazing.
redrabid

Postby jimmie ray on Thu May 13, 2010 8:54 am

My dad listened to alot of Roger Miller and Johnny Cash, which is simple music that I still like. My sister and I fought over who was better - the Monkees or the Banana Splits. I had an older cousin who introduced me to Rock and Funk. Aerosmith's "Toys in the Attic" and "Led Zeppelin II" were my first albums. I remember seeing " JA Worst of" in the record store, at an early age, and saying to my friend that a record named that must really suck! Jorma solo acoustic was the first concert I went to, and Hot Tuna is basically the only group I still go to see live, unless there's a free show at the local park.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby usedtobebabson on Thu May 13, 2010 9:12 am

Not sure what pop rock is. We had rock n roll in the late 50s, early sixties. For counter-culture it would definitely be Dylan, Like a Rolling Stone in about '64. Before that I liked all those corny songs - Soldier Boy, beechwood 45789, Party doll. leader of the pack, so tired of waiting, mrs. Brown you've got a lovely daughter, .etc, etc. on and on and on.
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby okeedoe on Thu May 13, 2010 9:25 am

I meant pop and rock music,Babs.

My aunt bought me my first LP and it was '' Give Us a Wink'' by Sweet
They were popular here.I remember I got on everyone's wick singing tenaciously ''Fox on the Run'' everywhere until I spotted The Rolling Stones EP in the local record store-I think it was ''Five by Five'' or something like that.Then I intentionaly started to annoy the old people singing ''Around and Around" to them.
Last edited by okeedoe on Sat May 15, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
okeedoe

Postby starfire II on Thu May 13, 2010 5:51 pm

I remember becoming rather infatuated with British glam rock bands (Slade, Wizzard, Mott The Hoople etc.), when I was about seven or eight years old. Can't really remember much music prior to that - there wasn't really much music around the house. The first LP I had was Bowie's Pinups which was bought as a a Christmas present for me when I was nine, and I absolutely loved it to death. That was real life-changing stuff for me.
starfire II

Postby usedtobebabson on Fri May 14, 2010 5:33 am

OK easy now. Very first LP was "Please Please Me" - the debut album by English rock band The Beatles.
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby PrayForPlagues on Fri May 14, 2010 12:45 pm

Having been born in 1993, the radio during my childhood was plagued with awful music. Luckily, I remember my parents playing the Beatles, The Clash and The Sex Pistols a lot.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Fri May 14, 2010 2:10 pm

I was born in 1994, so I can say the same. But my parents played The Doors, Jethro Tull and The Ramones so much, their music is literally in my blood. And the closest thing I ever came to rebelling against my parents music-wise, was buying Jefferson Airplane records. That kinda threw them off a bit... still does.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby Susan Butcher on Fri May 14, 2010 11:51 pm

The earliest pop music I remember was the comedy stuff that was in the British charts just before the Beatles became famous. Charlie Drake, Bernard Cribbins, Rolf Harris, that sort of thing. But when it came to "light music" BBC Radio was mostly show tunes, and I wasn't fanatical about pop until 1966 when we moved to the south of England, and you could get pirate stations like Radio London and Radio Caroline. Caroline was my favourite. Shortly afterwards I got my own radio, so I could listen to anything I wanted after bedtime using the earphone. Radio seemed like magic to me in those days.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby plasticfantastic on Sat May 15, 2010 12:34 pm

I was born in 1995, but my parents wisely raised me on Beatles, Bob Dylan, the Kinks, Cream, and Harry Nilsson.

My first memory of pop music is trying to piece together the lyrics to Hey Bulldog, my first favorite Beatles song, perhaps song in general. I remember being about three years old, and stunned that so many of my little three-year-old peers could not recite the Beatles lineup. I remember Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks album from very early on as well. When I was a little older, my dad got me very into the Kinks and the Who, and somehow I found my way to the Doors and Janis Joplin. Then through Janis, I found my way to the San Francisco sound. And now I've converted both my parents to it as well.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby okeedoe on Sat May 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Very nice,Lily.A very nice warm little story indeed.<smile>
There is something about you in a good way.You radiate a positive energy of creation in your every post.I think you will have much to offer to the world of art in the upcoming time.Maybe we are talking to the future acomplished writer here.>smile again and from the heart <
okeedoe

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Sat May 15, 2010 6:02 pm

I know, she is quite wonderful!
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby oldblue on Sat May 15, 2010 11:29 pm

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby plasticfantastic on Sun May 16, 2010 12:24 pm

OKD and ER, thank you both.

Unfortunately, I've found that I have no artstic talent whatsoever, but I do love to write! :)
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Next

Return to Open Forums