The recently bought records topic

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: The recently bought records topic

Postby Steve on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:31 pm

Jack Bruce & Robin Trower- Seven Moons Live

As for singing drummers, the Beatles era band, Dave Clark Five, was the first band I saw where the drummer did lead vocals
Steve

Postby Diane on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:45 pm

Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
Diane

Postby zeke on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:19 pm

I bought Florence and the Machine - Lungs album very recently. It's a pretty good album for its age. New bands don't usually do this kind of music. Especially their Girl With One Eye song should be heard.

Diane wrote:Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune

I love Sinful Love in that album, awesome song. Then there is of course Dont Fear The Reaper
zeke

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:41 am

Blue Oyster Cult was also known as "Soft White Underbelly". They're one of the few famous groups from my area of Long Island that I care for.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby Diane on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:51 pm

jimmie ray wrote:Blue Oyster Cult was also known as "Soft White Underbelly". They're one of the few famous groups from my area of Long Island that I care for.

Didn't know that!

And zeke, I agree. But I love love love The Revenge of Vera Gemini.
Diane

Postby jimmie ray on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:52 am

Diane wrote:
jimmie ray wrote:Blue Oyster Cult was also known as "Soft White Underbelly". They're one of the few famous groups from my area of Long Island that I care for.

Didn't know that!

It's easy for me to remember, because they would use that name when they played at a very local club called "Hammerheads" (the underside of a shark = soft white underbelly). They also played regularly at "My Father's Place", which is where I first saw Jorma.
Another fun Long Island band was "The Good Rats", if you happen to come across any of their records. Their heyday was in the late 70's, but they still reunite occasionally.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:29 am

"God Bless Tiny Tim". This one threw itself at me shortly after I nominated TT for immortality. A better record than I expected. Actually, it's bizarre!
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:55 pm

Ahem... My first music purchases in a few months. It's like a bad addiction to me, collecting records, yet, I never have money, and usually end up in places where music is either non-existent, or just country and rap. But anyway, my recent move to Indiana has proved fruitful, as the records are abundant, even in dinky tiny little flea markets in the most unexpecting farm towns, such as the one I'm in. Here is what I found in my first week here, in order of my favorites...

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
The Moody Blues - To Our Childrens, Children's Children
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes
Kansas - Leftoverture
Klaatu - Klaatu (or 3:47 EST, if you're Canadian)
Steppenwolf - Live
Exile - Exile
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby marcb on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Just bought Paul Wellers new album, not litened to it yet but it has had some great reviews.

--------------------
cute pick up lines
marcb

Postby redrabid on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Keep us informed about Paul Weller's new one, because over here critics were very surprised by the good reviews this album received in England. Just a few good songs, lousy production was the verdict. Paul got only two out of five on average. But then, we know about those British critics, don't we? They chose a very plain, uninteresting band like Kasabian as best band. Yuk!
And now I'm going to view Lady Gaga's latest video again. Great! Teenybopper idol wants to be a bad girl, a very bad girl. Very funny. Grace, where are you, now that we need you?
redrabid

Postby plasticfantastic on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:15 am

Ohhhh, don't even get me started on Lady Gaga...

I'll just say that she takes away much of what integrity the music industry had left. When record companies are trying to manufacture musicians to be "edgy," it just makes me wonder where it all went wrong. My poor generation... the things we consider good music.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby Dormouse on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:18 am

About a week ago I found a Bathing at Baxter's album at a CD store, which sent me on a buying spree online. I should be getting The Great Society's Live at the Matrix album, UK pressing. I'm also getting the promo White Rabbit single on white vinyl, which was released in the late eighties, oddly enough. I can't wait!
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Yeah, I must comment on Lady Gaga too...

She makes the most flowery, bubble-gummy, poppy, sickeningly-sweet pop of the 1960s seem talented and great. If course, not having lived through it I didn't have to deal with it, but still, Lady Gaga is SOOOOO disgusting I would actually give anything to replace her with her 1960's equivalents. And, dare I say, her 1970's equivalents. But I cut it off there... Because after there we have Madonna. And we all know, she was SUCH a pivotal role in Rock 'n' Roll history and artform, that she HAD to get inducted. Because, where would Rock and Roll be without Madonna? Or The Bee Gees? Or Abba? Or Run DMC? This just sets up a standard, so in twenty years if Lady Gaga is inducted, I will cry, but I won't be surprised.

These aren't really recent, but they were gone for a while and are now back, and I never got to hear them, so they count. And I wrote that other paragraph, might as well add music I have recently attained to stay on topic. They're also all CDs.
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - Animals
Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself (Have had this on vinyl, too)
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby redrabid on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:37 pm

Uriah Heep?
That band was as vacuous then as Lady Gaga is now: Image over content. By the way: I like Lady Gaga better, she is at least funny. Uriah Heep was just pathetic.
redrabid

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:47 am

Oh, it got MUCH worse than Uriah Heep! Have you ever heard Beggars Opera? "Pathfinder" is the only record I've actually destroyed.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums