Books

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Re: Books

Postby starfire II on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:07 pm

He did. He also seemed to be bamboozled by the ladies quite a bit too. They would often give him some major trouble - at least until the end of the story. But then Eisner did draw some of the most beautiful, seductive, yet downright dangerous women in comics.
starfire II

Postby starfire II on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Returning to the original subject, I'd like to suggest Peter Doggett's There's A Riot Going On, subtitled "revolutionaries, rock stars and the rise and fall of 60's counter culture."
The Airplane are mentioned several times, and there are some interesting quotes from the band members, many of which I'm not familiar with (er, the quotes, that is, not the band members).
There's a comment from Spencer about shooting down cops in the street (bet that one went down well with the SFPD), but Dogget later shows up the band's alleged hypocrisy by pointing out a sign on the 2400 Fulton Street house saying "Eldridge Cleaver (Black Panther leader) welcome here," although Paul later admits that may well not be the case. Underground critic Ed Leimbacker susequently accuses the band of "...theatricality. Harmless words and grand gestures rather than truly radical action."
This is probably a fair comment, I think, as even Jorma has described Paul as "very politically naive." But then Paul counters by saying "We didn't feel we had to shoot anybody. Our weapons were intellectual...our watchword was 'question authority.' "
This is all interesting stuff, but one of my favourite quotes in the book has Doggett describing Grace as "the only prominent woman who was able to demonstrate independent thought and action in the rock world of 1968." He's probably not too wide of the mark there.
Airplane aside, the book is a good read generally, and I'd highly recommend it.
starfire II

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Has anyone ever drawn a comic strip about Jefferson Airplane? Carol was reading her Grateful Dead comics the other day, and the notion just crossed my mind.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby plasticfantastic on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:Has anyone ever drawn a comic strip about Jefferson Airplane? Carol was reading her Grateful Dead comics the other day, and the notion just crossed my mind.

I don't know of one, but that sounds amazing... You up for it, Susan? :)
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:33 pm

I'd do it if someone paid me! There was one strip we'd planned, a parody of that notorious paperback warning to teens "Go Ask Alice", which has a character resembling Grace.
Susan Butcher

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:05 pm

I've often thought of making a comic for, or based on Jefferson Airplane, among other bands. If someone here did it I'd gladly help, I could even possibly supply some cartoonings. They'd definitely be good for it!
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby marcb on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Going back to books but not with mention of Airplane I've just reread Catch 22 and it ius a work of pure genius. Not sure what sort of mind Heller had but its pure twisted. For an entertaining read try Secret History by Donna Tartt, a real page turner.

-------------------------
cute pick up lines
marcb

Postby oldblue on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:40 pm

maccabee's green suspenders

quite possibly one of the greatest books ever written; he unbuttoned those suspenders and the boy could fly

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~srs/Ken/Bonn ... ie%20Books
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby plasticfantastic on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:57 am

100 Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

After being forced to read and heavily annotate the first twenty-five pages for school, I realized I actually really loved it. A very cool example of the magical realism style, and very well-translated from the original Spanish. I haven't gotten very far into it yet, but it's been really great so far.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby okeedoe on Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:04 pm

Why does history repeat at times ? What is the principle of the repetitions?Why does the past events casually recur,sometimes in a different forms or masked with actuality ? An unresolved present events perhaps? But it sounds like an empty cliche.
okeedoe

Postby usedtobebabson on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:28 pm

Human nature I think. Some things have to be re-learned by each generation, each 40 or 50 years, each 100 years. Much of the stuff relearned is stupid though. Think the ancient Egyptians had the key with record keeping, then add process or policy to avoid some of the stupid stuff next time around. I read it took since Napoleon to quit bandaging wounds in battle (after bleeding stopped), to prevent infection and amputation or death. Every war they would bandage and infect the wounds again for 3 or 4 years, until they remembered?, that OH!, we shouldn't do that anymore...
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby redrabid on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:04 pm

History repeating itself? Did I miss something? When?
It's not a cliche, it's a myth.
redrabid

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:40 am

What provoked that comment, OKD?
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:28 pm

''Provoked'' is not the word,Sue.
It is just young miss Lily's reading about Buendia family history made me post that weak comment.

I meant only my comment on history repetition was a cliche not a history repetition itself,Red.
okeedoe

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Ah. I haven't read that book, you see.
Susan Butcher

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums